Thread: Question about Linked

Protomolecule Host

Question about Linked

I might have played too much D&D

Linked: This modifier applies to two or more effects, linking them together so they only work in conjunction as one.

The Linked effects must operate at the same range.
    I want to link Mental Communication with another power (Mind Reading [Limited to emotions]). Mental Communication has the same range as other forms of Communication, 100 feet at rank 1, 1 mile at rank 2, and continuing at great range.

Mind Reading is normally a Perception range power, but presumably it could be reduced to just "ranged". It's even possible to reduce the range to touch (Vulcan touch telepathy is an example).

Is it possible to link these powers together?

OPA Belta

Re: Question about Linked

> Is it possible to link these powers together?
    Not really since the ranges are so different, but there's also no real need to do so.
    Linked takes two things and makes them share an action, but Communication is already a free action. Any circumstance where you could take the standard action to use Mind Reading, you'd also have the free action available for Mental Communication.
    If you wanted it to be a "X only if Y" thing, you could put Limited on one or both the two to stipulate that you could only use it in concert with the other. The Deluxe Hero's Handbook actually suggests this as a potential Flaw for Mind Reading.

Linked is mainly for things that need to be two different attack modes at the same time, like burning nets (Damage and Affliction [Snare]), vicious acids (Damage and Weaken), capture drones (Affliction [Snare] and Move Object), a sword that negates magic (Damage and Nullify [Magic]), etc.
    It can also be used for grouping together powers, such as a force field that makes you harder to hit and harder to hurt (Protection and Enhanced Dodge/Parry) but has to do both at once, but this is generally unnecessary.

If you want long range Mind Reading, you'll want to give yourself an Accurate Sense so that you can locate and target minds.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Is it possible to link these powers together?
    No, yet some characters like the Telepath sample hero have mind reading linked to communication as telepathy (Hero's Handbook pg. 45). As always, rules are only guidelines, and should be disregarded, modified or bent if necessary; use your judgment.

Protomolecule Host

Unhappy Re: Question about Linked

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post
    No, yet some characters like the Telepath sample hero have mind reading linked to communication as telepathy (Hero's Handbook pg. 45). As always, rules are only guidelines, and should be disregarded, modified or bent if necessary; use your judgment.
    Alternatively, some builds just weren't as well thought out as they ought too have been.

Mind Reading 5 linked to Area Mental Communication 2 ... uh, how is that even supposed to work?

Partly agreed, in the sense that I'm not a fan of any of the HH archetype builds, but I also don't think both those statements are mutually exclusive.

UN Basic Recipient

Just use the area modifier on one or the other to make them the same range. I think that should work.

UN Basic Recipient

Just use the area modifier to one of them so they share the same range. I think that should work.