Thread: Moving Fire

Protomolecule Host

Moving Fire

I have a character that wants several different types of elemental controls for her character. One of the things she wants to be able to do is move many of these elements. One of which is water, which I have done in the past with just a limited form of Move Object limited to water. She also wants to be able to move Ice (again pretty straight forward), Fire and Lava. Its the last two I am a bit concerned with. Moving Lava I can see with Move Object fairly simply as its something with weight, but moving FIRE? Does anyone see a problem using Move Object with Fire? If so, how would you do something like this? I was thinking maybe with a nullify and create or damaging attack.

OPA Belta

Re: Moving Fire

There's two problems I see with moving fire via Move Object, neither of which are major in my opinion.
    1: Fire can hurt people if you move it onto them. That's fine though, so can a car and nobody blinks if you throw those around. If there's fire around, it should have a Damage rank and your Move Object should have a to-hit bonus (or be Perception range and not need to roll to-hit) so it basically boils down to any other ranged attack.
    2: Fire is very very light, so if you calculate amount of fire movable by mass the answer is generally "all of it". I'd just switch entirely over to volume ranks instead of mass ranks for a Move Object (Fire) effect.

Protomolecule Host

That's a good idea. I think maybe having a modifier to the cost for allowing it would be in order too, since I wouldn't normally allow fire to be moved that way.

Protomolecule Host

According to Power Profiles, you use volume and damage dealt by the fire (presumably since the weight of a flame isn't easy to measure). The example they gave fixed the volume at 5 (I'm not sure why) and set the max damage equal to your effect rank.

While it was listed as a utility power, it's pretty much impossible to use fire like that without causing damage, intentional or otherwise. I guess you could move/reshape a really small fire if you want to cook something, but Microwave Beam sounds like a better idea for that

OPA Belta

The only mentions of "volume rank 5" I can find in Power Profiles are for Shapable Damage effects, which is where they're getting the 30 cubic feet from.
    No mention in Power Profiles Fire on Move Object.

Protomolecule Host

You are right. I looked it up again and it didn't use Move Object.

Because fire cannot really be "weighed" or "massed" I would probably use something similar to that anyway.

I'm not sure how much sense Move Object makes when you're grasping something insubstantial. If you're making a landslide, for instance, it really seems like the effect is moving multiple objects that happen to be in the earth, with Move Object (Limited to Earth) being very similar to Create (Limited to Earth) with a Quirk that material must be present (and since earth is almost always available...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    While it was listed as a utility power, it's pretty much impossible to use fire like that without causing damage, intentional or otherwise.
    You could move fire away from fuel to put it out. That prevents damage!