Thread: Newbie combat/power question

Inceptor

Newbie combat/power question

We've played a few sessions of M&M so far and are liking it a lot. Some of the damage mechanics are really puzzling my group. We're all veteran roleplayers, just never did any version of M&M before. It seems like my most attacks--gravitic blast, bear attack, gunshot--always result at first in someone just maybe getting a -1 or -2/Dazed result from the toughness role. It also seems odd that my ally's shock drones (meant to act like a tazer) almost never do actually stun or paralyze an enemy. On a REALLY lucky roll they'll be paralyzed for a minute, then get back up. I guess I'm having a hard time phrasing a question more than "Is this right?" Powers meant to stun seem to do very little for any amount of points, and damage-dealing powers don't seem to usually do more than daze an enemy anyhow.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Newbie combat/power question

M&M is very much a game of death-by-degrees.
    You slap the other guy with a bunch of -1s, and then they get a bad roll and take three or four degrees of failure and are out of the fight. It's not intended that somebody just floors a guy turn 1 (unless they're hitting a minion).

Regarding "paralyzed for a minute", after combat ends people tend to ignore normal healing rules because having to punch a guy every minute to keep them down is stupid.

E: And afflictions meant to do things to major villains almost always should be cumulative, so the hits can stack.
    Last edited by Nunya B; 04-21-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by litlfrog View Post
    Powers meant to stun seem to do very little for any amount of points, and damage-dealing powers don't seem to usually do more than daze an enemy anyhow.
    This is true. Affliction was a great addition to M&M 3ed, but a known problem is that it is underpowered. Without buying Cumulative (or Progressive,) it's actually fairly difficult to inflict PL-rank 3rd-degree Affliction conditions on a target.

I'd suggest for players, if they are going to use Afflictions, that they (1) Effect-shift the power (meaning, say, a +7 to hit with 13 ranks instead of a +10 to hit with 10 ranks,) and (2) that the player be aware of this weakness and act tactically to maximize the effectiveness of the power. Increasing the range to Perception or adding an Area also helps, since that can reduce or eliminate one more roll that power has to go through before affecting the target.

If you're GMing and want Afflictions to have a greater effect on your players, be sure to include Cumulative/Progressive on the effects, and bump up the ranks of effect by 2 or so (maybe by 4 or so if you want a non-Cumulative Affliction effect.)
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes and The New All-Star Squadron.

In a lot of systems, damage just subtracts HP. It doesn't inflict any kind of penalties until that HP hits zero.

Toughness penalties in MnM are kind of like that. They don't hinder the enemy's ability to fight, but the more of them she suffers the more likely that the next punch drops her.

Remember that Minions always suffer the worst possible result from any failed resistance check. That means that they'll drop in one shot from most afflictions, while actual heroes and villains resist them while suffering some sort of penalty.

Keeper of Secrets luketheduke86's Avatar

Since you're group is new to the game I'm reluctant to bring up house-ruling already, but I personally house-rule Afflictions have a base DC of 15, same as damage.

Keeper of Secrets

> Since you're group is new to the game I'm reluctant to bring up house-ruling already, but I personally house-rule Afflictions have a base DC of 15, same as damage.
    Personally, I'd bump the DC by 5, but shift the effects down a rank each and add a 1DoF effect similar to Damage's. Actually, I'd make the 1DoF exactly the same as, and stack with, Damage's 1DoF.