Thread: Help with modeling a build in Hero Lab: Lowering Defenses while Growth is in use

UN Basic Recipient

Help with modeling a build in Hero Lab: Lowering Defenses while Growth is in use

Iím trying to build in a limitation to a characterís Growth power so that it lowers his Dodge and Parry further when Growth is active in order to keep him within PL limitations. Maybe Iím overlooking something obvious in Hero Lab but I canít figure out how to enter that into the system.
    I can add the penalties to defense as temporary modifiers, but that doesnít satisfy the systemís requirements because itís not built into the character directly.

Re: Help with modeling a build in Hero Lab: Lowering Defenses while Growth is in use

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    Iím trying to build in a limitation to a characterís Growth power so that it lowers his Dodge and Parry further when Growth is active in order to keep him within PL limitations. Maybe Iím overlooking something obvious in Hero Lab but I canít figure out how to enter that into the system.
    I can add the penalties to defense as temporary modifiers, but that doesnít satisfy the systemís requirements because itís not built into the character directly.
    If you go to the Editer via the Tool menu, you can duplicate the Growth power and modify its Eval script. Initially, give it a different name and ID. When you think you have it right, you can use the Replaces Thing ID to make it the standard Growth power.

How exactly do you want this to work?

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Help with modeling a build in Hero Lab: Lowering Defenses while Growth is in use

The player wants to alter the effects of the power slightly so that ďWhen grown, add in a limitation that his dodge and parry go down an additional -1 (to cover for the increased Resistance)Ē in order to keep the current Strength and Stamina levels as well as Growth and still stay in line with his Power Level.
    Here are the relevant sections of the characterís sheet:

PL 10

Strength 12, Stamina 10.

Skills
    Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+10).

Powers
    Armor Suit (Removable)
    . . Armored: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Impervious [8 extra ranks])
    Big Guy: Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +2 mass ranks)

Offense
    Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Validation: Unarmed: Save DC exceeds Power Level limit by 2; Fortitude: Exceeds Power Level limit by 2; Toughness: Exceeds Power Level limit by 1

So no change in cost? That shouldn't be too hard to change. Unfortunately, I'm out of town this week, but I suspect you can do this on your own in the Editer.

I didn't get a chance to write up a user file last night, but the change should be pretty easy for you to make. You should see something like the following in the Eval Script:

Code:
          if (tagis[Helper.GrwNoDefs] = 0) then
            activepen = round(field[pwRanks].value/2, 0, 1)
            endif
    Change that to
    Code:
          if (tagis[Helper.GrwNoDefs] = 0) then
            activepen = round(field[pwRanks].value, 0, 1)
            endif
    and you'll lose a defense rank for every rank of Growth. It's not too difficult to extend that to creating Flaws that will do this for you (the Helper.GrwNoDefs is a "tag", which you will see is assigned in the parallel Flaw/Extra), although I will leave that as an exercise to the reader unless you really get stumped.