Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We Want Your Questions About The Basic Hero's Handbook

OPA Belta

Re: We Want Your Questions About The Basic Hero's Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    I saw the sample of the new Basic Archetype in the Roundtable article on GreenRonin.com.
    I really like what's been done, although I did note one thing. Under the Avatar Power Suite Energy Form, there's "Immunity 5 (Disease, Environmental Conditionals)." Ignoring the misspelling of Conditions, EnviCond is usually 5p by itself, so I don't know if that's another typo or if there's been some cleanup in the Life Support Immunities set.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to seeing all 8 Basic Archetypes.
    Not problems, so much as odd choices.

1--The Array for the Elementalist. The base power (?) Energy Blast is Blast 12, Indirect 3 for 27 PP. Why the Indirect Extra? Granted the AEs can be lower than the base power, but it still doesn't make much sense to me, mainly because I find the rank descriptions for Indirect to be a little unclear. Better to have left it with all 4 powers in the Array being 24PP each, or added a more straightforward extra, IMO.
    2--No points available for an expertise.

But overall I am thrilled this is happening. Even after playing for a few years, I find character creation hard to do, and that's usually something I pick up fast.

That's a great improvement over the HH sample archetype, with a good spread of abilities and some characterization. I liked the bit about choosing advantages based on the character's personality. There's still no room for a flavor expertise, language, or anything to show the character's background and origins, and to me it's still not evocative of comic-book superheroes; but for a basic character handed out to new players it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Liane View Post
    1--The Array for the Elementalist. The base power (?) Energy Blast is Blast 12, Indirect 3 for 27 PP. Why the Indirect Extra? Granted the AEs can be lower than the base power, but it still doesn't make much sense to me, mainly because I find the rank descriptions for Indirect to be a little unclear. Better to have left it with all 4 powers in the Array being 24PP each, or added a more straightforward extra, IMO.
    My guess is it's to allow things like a weather controller's lightning bolt, which always strikes downwards from the sky (any point, fixed direction [downwards]).
    Last edited by Ysariel; 06-27-2018 at 12:39 AM.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post
    My guess is it's to allow things like a weather controller's lightning bolt, which always strikes downwards from the sky (any point, fixed direction [downwards]).
    I'd guess it's for from any concentration of the element, any direction.

OPA Belta

That's a great improvement over the HH sample archetype, with a good spread of abilities and some characterization. I liked the bit about choosing advantages based on the character's personality. There's still no room for a flavor expertise, language, or anything to show the character's background and origins, and to me it's still not evocative of comic-book superheroes; but for a basic character handed out to new players it's OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    I'd guess it's for from any concentration of the element, any direction.
    Thanks, that makes sense. Again, it's just not an extra I would pick for someone new to the system. I think this archetype will work out better for novice to intermediate players.

One other thing I noticed after my previous post. Before I actually tried making a PC with the archetype, I assumed it was the full archetype, but now am wondering if it is an excerpt. Both when I did it by hand and when I plugged it into my (demo version) Hero Labs, it came out to 130+ points. I know you don't have to have exactly 150PP for a PL 10 PC but in my game group (all of whom are more experienced players than I), everyone tends to stay within a few points of that.

I checked and got abilities 36 + defenses 21 + skills 14 + advantages 4 + powers 75 = 150pp. Some options ask you to choose twice, did you miss that?

OPA Belta

I checked and got abilities 36 + defenses 21 + skills 14 + advantages 4 + powers 75 = 150pp. Some options ask you to choose twice, did you miss that?
    Yes that's what happened.

UN Basic Recipient

Is there a list of the archetypes that will be included in the basic book?

Baleful Eye of SaurMod Fildrigar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by digitalronin View Post
    Is there a list of the archetypes that will be included in the basic book?
    Crimefighter
    Energy Controller
    Gadgeteer
    Mystic
    Paragon
    Powerhouse
    Primal
    Speedster
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

UN Basic Recipient

Will it have rules for experience i.e. gaining and spending power points?