Thread: Typical material densities

Protomolecule Host

Typical material densities

I saw a list of Create sizes by rank (eg volume 9 rank is this many feet per side) although I'm not sure if it was accurate. According to my calculations, a character with rank 9 could make a single object of just under 8 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet (512 cubic feet, just over the 500 cubic foot limit you could get at that rank), which doesn't seem very useful if you wanted to make a wall of material. According to a link I found online, that same character could make a 30 foot radius dome of material (presumably a thin wall of stuff with Toughness up to 9).

Link: http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml

I am bad at math, so maybe you should trust that website more than my figures. It's also possible we're both right (they weren't making cubes of stuff).

So I started thinking about using Move Object to move material around (I would need these numbers for an Element Controller). But how much material? That would depend on the material, of course (And how many ranks in Area you took, too!)

A pretty good density list can be found here: http://www.coyotesteel.com/assets/im...rcubicfoot.pdf

The list was generated by a steel company (which weighs roughly 500 pounds per cubic foot, to keep the math simple) although it displays other useful materials (granite, soil, water, alcohol, gold, lead, wood, etc). A character with Move Object 4 (whether Limited to metals or not) could lift more than 1 but less than 2 cubic feet of steel (they could lift 800 pounds). I looked up the weight of a steel girder (800 pounds) which you can lift with Move Object 4 as well.

The same character moving water could lift 13 cubic feet of water, which could create a "cube" of 2.35 feet per side. I guess you need Precise if you want an actual "cube" of water. That's not much of a splash.

This seems like a good cubic feet to linear feet calculator: http://www.endmemo.com/cconvert/ft3ft.php

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Typical material densities

Also keep in mind that material toughness in the charts are based on 1 inch of material. So 8ftx8ftx8ft can actually make a 1 inch thick wall, with 9 Toughness, that is 73ftx73ft, which basically the same as a 30ft radius circle.

Protomolecule Host

I am presuming no "discounts" for being thinner than an inch (eg how thick is a pane of force)?

UN Basic Recipient

Since the rules specifically state material toughness is based on 1 inch of material, creating an object thinner than that would, presumably, lower the toughness proportional to how thick it is compared to 1 inch. (i.e. 1/2 inch = 1/2 Toughness, etc. )

The cost is based on volume. If you were limited to 2-D objects, they would have no toughness. Barely able to remain coherent against the slightest of pressure.

So, the question is, what are you trying to do with the power?

Protomolecule Host

I was mainly interested in in Move Object, especially if limited to dirt, rock, water, etc, but Create was used as the base of one of my sources. (That is not my website I'm quoting there!)

But I assumed Create simply granted the object Toughness equals rank, unless you Limited it (for instance, maybe a character with Create Ice 10 should add Limited to Toughness 1, or something like that).

So I was picturing a block of rock, created by a character with Create Rock 9, with dimensions of 8 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet. I assumed that would have Toughness 9, and not the 12 or so my (bad) math presumed, following the rules for "natural" rock. This saves the GM a math headache, too. But if that's the case, then you could create a half millimeter thick wall of rock, surrounding a large area*, and it would all have Toughness 9. And this problem only gets worse if you're making Impervious Walls of Force. So ... I don't really know how Create works! I also wonder why they didn't just go with one 5 foot cube per rank.

*Is that why they use volume as a balancing tool? Maybe it doesn't matter to the power whether the object created is hollow or not.

Edit: Do the figures in this post seem accurate? For 3e? https://roninarmy.com/threads/6477-N...l=1#post240403
    Last edited by Kimera757; 05-02-2018 at 04:02 PM.