Dr. Leonard Toupeira, PhD, Mole man - PL 10
Strength 4, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 1
Benefit, Status: Doctorate (Tenured), Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 4, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Improved Smash, Blindfight (Precise Attack (Close, Concealment)), Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break
Athletics 6 (+10), Expertise: Geology 10 (+15), Insight 5 (+7), Investigation 4 (+9), Perception 7 (+9), Persuasion 5 (+6), Stealth 5 (+7), Technology 4 (+9), Treatment 2 (+7)
Burrowing: Burrowing 10 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 4500 feet/round)
Mole Powers (Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Improved Smash, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break)
. . Mole Senses: Senses 6 (Acute: Smell, Analytical (Type): Touch, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Low-light Vision)
. . Tremorsense: Senses 3 (Acute: Tremorsense, Danger Sense: Tremorsense, Ranged: Touch)
Sharp Claws: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 25; Penetrating 5)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 14)
Sharp Claws: Strength-based Damage 6, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +2 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 19)
Native Language (English)
Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/6, Will 12
Abilities 60 + Powers 38 + Advantages 8 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 150
- Prejudice (Obviously not human) - Dr. Toupeira is obviously no longer entirely human, and occasionally faces people who hold that against him.
- Obligation (Professor) - While he is tenured, Dr. Toupeira is obliged to provide for the University both as an instructor and as a researcher. Much the the Administration's pride, he's provided a rather extensive survey of the state of the state of underground geography of the area. Much to their chagrin, the EPA put a stop to said survey after claiming there was no proof that Dr. Toupeira was not causing environmental damage with his explorations.
- Obligation (Unknown) - Whatever spirit gave Dr. Toupeira his powers could possibly come back to settle up on his debt. If they exist.
- Weakness (Nearsighted) - Dr. Toupeira was fairly myopic before his transformation. Now, his glasses barely manage to compensate for being extremely near-sighted and astigmatic. If he were to lose them, he would suffer penalties to any check requiring sight past a few feet.
- Quirk (non-combative) - Dr. Toupeira tries to go to lengths to avoid a fight despite not being the most charismatic individual.
- Accident (environmental damage) - While Dr. Toupeira can collapse the tunnels after him, it does still disrupt the earth in a way that can cause issues with the surrounding architecture, as he learned after accidentally undermining the Tau Delta Zeta sorority's sauna. Although, in his defense, their construction was not up to code...
Dr. Leonard Toupeira was a professor and researcher at San Francisco State University, doing what was intended to be a routine exploration and survey of Bear Gulch Cave in Paicines, CA when, while squeezing through a tight passageway, he experienced the event all spelunkers fear, a cave-in. Trapped under tons of earth and stone, he found himself desperately praying for survival and, much to his surprise, he received an answer. In his panic, he either never asked for a name, or forgot it, but what visited him claimed to be an animal spirit sacred to the local tribes (in later, more lucid moments, he reflected that it never said which tribe, and in fact used terms more apropos for someone whose knowledge of the First People was gained from mass media or high school texts) and offered to grant him power in return for serving it in the future. Never previously a religious man, he was willing to do anything to live just a little longer, and so he agreed. Whatever it was that spoke out to him in the darkness reached out and touched him with an incredibly moist hand, and he passed out in agony as his body reconfigured itself.
When he awoke, he was at the surface, next to a newly built tunnel, and no longer human. Whatever had granted him the powers had turned him into some hybrid of a mole and a man. His senses were heightened, he gained an innate sense of direction and distance, he possessed supernatural levels of strength and toughness, and he could dig like nothing else out there. Aside from that... well, his first impulse was to go back to the university and try to go back to his regular life. After a battery of tests, including him proving he remembered all of the salient details of his previous life, including his university passwords and answers to the personal questions he'd set in the university's two-factor authentication, and his signing of a document stating that he was not claiming any increase in salary for his abilities, the administration shrugged and let him continue teaching.
Since then, despite himself, Dr. Leonard has occasionally gotten pulled into the odd brawl with superpowered individuals on the university campus. He doesn't seek out fights, but it seems to be a truth of life that those with powers will find situations where they are forced to use them. Meanwhile, years after the incident, he has yet to hear back from whatever it was that imbued him with these powers. Part of him has started wondering if perhaps it was a hallucination brought about from sensory deprivation and depleted oxygen and his was a more "natural" transformation due to unknown metagene, X-factor, residual magic energy, or what-have-you.
And yes, he's heard jokes about his last name (which translates to "mole" in Portuguese) ever since the transformation. They haven't gotten any funnier. Prior to said transformation, he'd never given his last name a second thought, as his family has lived in the United States and spoken only English for generations.
Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
My brain being what it is, I'm still wrestling with wanting to separate all of his "mole traits" into a container on the off chance something disables his empowerment... but at this point, I feel like this is him. Someone "depowering" him would basically be transforming him into something else. Plus, it would just complicate things.