THE WALKING TANK!
Original Image/Image Source is 'The Human Tank', copyright Storn-art
Starting in 1951, the Nevada Test Site, located some 65 miles northwest of Las Vegas, was the site of over 100 atmospheric nuclear detonations over its lifespan as a nuclear testing ground for the U.S government. The detonation of 'Little Feller' in 1962 was to be the last above-ground nuclear test detonation (in accordance with the Partial Test Ban Treaty) performed by the U.S government, and was to mark the end of the life of the Testing Grounds as part of the research and development of nuclear weapons by the U.S, and would have no doubt been the start of its life as a tourist attraction in the area; a historical touch-stone for the looming specter of the bomb that dwelled so heavy over the era.
However, on July 7th, 1962, history would mark an all-together different path in the life of the testing grounds, when the 'Little Feller' warhead was detonated, and its supposed 22 ton TNT yield sent a mushroom cloud towering into the sky, and sent a wave of concussive force ripping across the hot, dry Nevada desert. Personal - both on site and abroad - were sent into a flurry, falling over themselves as they sought to determine the cause of the seismic detonation, but it was only a few minutes after the blast that a player in the event, if not the cause, was found, when a spotter reported a figure, standing - towering - at ground zero, then reported again when it was spotted moving.
Calls for assistance went out when the figure - this 'Walking Tank', as it was dubbed by some nameless member of the staff - when the path of the figure was determined to be leading right towards Nellis Airforce Base, and then calls for help were sent out when the figure shut down the base's communications; firing upon fighter-jets scrambled for reconnaissance, and resisting every attempt to return fire by the base's personnel. In the minutes that followed, assistance arrived in a trickle, then a torrent as the situation unfolded; both military units and heroes from the surrounds turning up to help fight the creature. Thanks to said heroes no one was hurt during the battle, but even then, it was grind, and with even heroes like The Cape barely able to slow the entity, and military assets like The Silver Bullet far away from the area, it was unknown how long such a state could be kept up. No communication was made by the entity, and all such attempts to do the same on the part of the heroes were unsuccessful, and it was only when The Ray, retrieved from his home in Ohio by The Cape in a blur of super-speed, arrived to Nellis Airforce Base, was any headway made on the situation. Joining forces with several of the other heroes, The Ray was able to shrink down a contingent of those present, following a hunch and the readings from his own attempts to communicate and understand the rampaging creature to head inside the monster, and put an end to its rampage.
It's unknown how long the team were truly inside the entity for - time moves at strange paces when you shrink down far enough - but, in the moments after the team left, the machine stalled, and stopped, and stood still on the hot sand, and, when the team returned a few minutes later, they had such a story to tell the others. Shrinking down into the machine, they found themselves within a colossal construct; room after room, level after level - and all filled with all manner of life; a thousand different forms in every turn of the head, some like humans, many more unlike mankind, all linked together with magic and machine, and all united by a single, burning desire to destroy the 'overlanders'. When the team communicated with the collective crew of the colossal contraption, and were able to convince them of their peaceful intent, and asked why they were attacking them in the first place - though many had already figured out the reason why, to their own terror, the crew ejected them from their machine, and, when they were back with the others, told them their story.
Rare in the microverse (as it's most commonly known today) is there signs of intelligent life - at least, intelligent life on the scale of the crew of The Walking Tank; an entire galaxy - a universe - teeming with life is virtually unknown. But, at ground zero in our own universe, an entire universe of life lived and thrived - as much as any universe can live and thrive, at least. In that universe, just as in ours, their are the master-mystics; the scientist-supremes; the heroes and visionaries of their ages. And, in that universe, much like in ours, such minds turned themselves towards answering some of the most basic, yet most important questions in life - none of which, were more important, more far-reaching, than the wave of heat-death that marked the start and end of every age in that land of lands. Each generation puzzled it, and each generation worked towards solving it, sending a piece - a kernel - of what they discovered onward's to the next; each generation saving more; preserving more; working together - growing together - until, finally, they were able to discover the source of the destruction they so-often weathered.
And they were not well-pleased.
And so, a means of revenge - of justice - of retribution - was designed and created, a crew - numbering in the millions - was trained to operate it, and, with the trapped energy of the overlanders last death-wave, it was brought up into our world. But, the attack was stopped. The Walking Tank was halted in its assault mere meters from Nellis. And, it is to the kindness and understanding of the crew that, when asked for forgiveness from the assembled heroes, they accepted. In the years since then, the Nevada Testing Ground - the 'Nevada Protectorate', as it is more often known today - has settled into a unique place in U.S history and on the larger world stage. The collective within rarely interacts with the outside world - at least on any large scale - but, when it does, the protectorate has shown itself to be a powerhouse on the international stage (who else, after all, can claim to equal to the collective resources and might of an entire universe?) The only regular contact it maintains with the outside world, outside of delegations and diplomatic to various parties, is in scientific expeditions into other parts of the microverse; since the Nevada Protectorate's discovery in 1962, efforts have been made all over the world to find similar pockets of hyper-life on other parts of the planet, either in the hopes of sparring it or searching it. No others have been found so far - at least, not on the same scale - to the collective reactions of all involved, but the search continues. Outside of the protectorate, the reaction on the greater world stage has been mixed, while within, many of the members of the protectorate still favor thoughts of revenge over thoughts of piece - or even justice. Only time will tell what will happen next at that dusty bit of Nevada desert, but, safe to say, it'll be anything but 'small'.
As for The Walking Tank itself, it currently resides at the same military base it had once attacked decades ago, motionless after the destruction - some say theft - of some of its most vital internal parts. Its own history before that is as varied and spectacular as the weapons that were once used at its home, taking part of a score of pivotal battles over the years, stolen and recaptured and re-stolen and gone rogue and gone mad, the only thing that can be certain about it is that, just as it started in a flash and a roar of thunder, its unlikely The Walking Tank - 'Little Feller', as some call it - will end in anything but the same.
... Holy. Crap. That took a while to do - I actually wrote this thing up a couple of days ago, but I ended up having site issues just as I was finishing up with the write-up; I wasn't able to access the site for a couple of days, and the work I had done was lost. The only solace I can take, is the hope that other people had the same problem I had - if only so that we can support each-other in our collective misery.
Anyway, the write-up above at least approximates the original, heaven-sent, should-have-sent-a-poet write-up I originally did. As for the build itself, it's a, well, it's a giant, walking tank. It uses it's pilot(s) mental stats for its own, its attack bonus's are either its own, or those of its pilot(s) (which-ever is lower). It hits hard from a million miles away, shrugs of the return fire, and should be a hassle for anyone that tries to take it on face-to-face. It's internal space is just that, meat to represent its internals, and, while the internal space does have the 'personal' feature, I thought that, given the size and varied skill of its crew, they deserved their own stats entirely; a massively over-costed minion - though even that gets a bit wiggly if you were to shrink down inside of the machine; that'd be an adventure all in itself. For weapons, almost everything The Walking Tank has has the variable modifier on it, to represent the huge and assorted arsenal of weapons it has its disposal, though its Antomatic-Atomiser (1) - a horrid weaponisation of various size-and-substantiality-altering devices - is probably its most effective.
I do hope this build makes sense to look at; I know it does to me, but I was always a bit unsure about how to actually build the thing once I'd seen the image and started thinking about it. Anyway, enjoy!
‘Little Feller’, The Walking Tank! PL: 15, pp: 321
Abilities: 2 Points
STR 16 STA - AGL 0 DEX 0 FGT 5 INT - AWE 5 PRE -
Powers: 263 Points
Giant Tiny Construct – 128 Points
- Auto-Repair: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds)
- Giant Machine, Radiation-Shielded: Immunity 42 (Common Descriptor: Radiation, Critical Hits, Fortitude Effects, Will Effects)
- Giant Size: Growth 10 (+10 STR, +10 Tough, +5 Intimidate, -10 Stealth, -5 active defences, +2 size ranks, +10 mass ranks) (Extras: Innate; Flaws: Permanent)
- Giant, Hyperdense Structure: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness) (Extras: Impervious [10 extra ranks])
- Hyper-Strong Internal Super-Structure: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR) (Flaws: Limited to Lifting)
Internal Structure – 71 Points
- Command & Control: Enhanced Trait 6 (Advantages: Improved Initiative 6) (Flaws: Limited – only for matching Internal Crew’s Initiative (Before or After, or nearest to choice))
- Internal Communications: Radio Area Communication 4 (Range: Anywhere on earth) (Extras: Area, Rapid (1)).
-- AE: Radio-Waves & Magnets & Screamers Oh-My! : Cumulative Cone-Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20) (Extras: Cone-Area 2: 120 feet, Cumulative; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree 1)
- Internal Sensors: Senses 30 (Accurate (Type), Acute (Type), Analytical (Type): Sight, Darkvision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Extended: Sight 2: X100, Extended: Hearing 1: X10, Extended: Radio 2: X100, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4: atom-sized, Radio, Radius (Type): Sight, Rapid: Sight 2, Time Sense, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision)
- Shrinking Rays & Tractor Beams: Movement Attack 6 (Dimensional: Microverse/Internal Structure 2: group, 800 lbs., Extra Ranks 4, DC 16) (Extras: Attack: Dodge, Increased Mass 4)
Stunningly Quick: Speed 4 – 4 Points (5 Points with AE)
-AE: What do you mean, ‘It can fly’!?: Flight 2
Weapons Array – Array 53 – 59 points
- Antomatic-Atomiser: Weaken 15 (Affects Stamina, resisted by: Fortitude, Range: 1500/3000/6000 ft., DC 25) (Extras: Extended Range 2, Increased Range: Ranged)
- Cannon Array: Burst-Area Damage 12 (Range: 2400/4800/9600 ft. DC 27) (Extras: Burst-Area: 30 foot sphere, DC 22, Extended Range 3, Increased Range: Ranged, Secondary Effect, Variable Descriptor 2: Broad Group - Any conceivable ranged descriptor) (53 points)
- Cannon Array: Damage 12 (Range: 1200/2400/4800 ft., DC 27) (Extras: Extended Range 2, Increased Range: Ranged, Multiattack, Secondary Effect, Variable Descriptor 2: Broad Group - Any conceivable ranged descriptor)
- Null-Rays: Nullify 12 (Counters: Computer/Communication Technology, DC 22) (Extras: Broad, Increased Range: perception)
- Pin-Point Weapons: Damage 10 (Range: 8000/16000/32000 ft., DC 25) ( Advantages: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Accurate 2: =4, Extended Range 5, Increased Range: Ranged, Precise, Variable Descriptor 2: Broad Group - Any conceivable ranged descriptor)
- Reinforced Fists: Strength-based Damage 4
- Shoot it Down: Deflect 10 (Range: 2000/4000/8000 ft.) (Extras: Extended Range 3)
- Turbo-Round: Damage 10 (Range: 8000/16000/32000 ft., DC 25) (Advantages: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Extended Range 5, Increased Range: Ranged, Penetrating 10, Variable Descriptor 2: Broad Group - Any conceivable ranged descriptor)
Equipment: 9 Points (42 EP)
Internal Space: Custom Headquarters
Toughness 20, Size Rank: Awesome, Features: Combat Simulator, Communications Computer, Deathtraps, Defence System, Dimensional Portal, Dual Size: Fine, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Sealed, Security System 4, Self-repairing 2, Temporal Limbo 2, Workshop
Advantages: 35 Points
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Diehard, Minion: Internal Crew – 16, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 1, Equipment 9, Improve Critical 2: Turbo-Round: Damage 10, Improved Critical 4: Pin-Point Weapons: Damage 10, Improved Initiative 6
Skills: 11 Points (22 Ranks)
Athletics 2 (+18), Close Combat (Unarmed Attacks) 4 (+9), Insight 2 (+7), Perception 4 (+9), Ranged Combat (Weapons Array) 10 (+10), Stealth – (-10)
Initiative +24, Radio-Waves & Magnets & Screamers Oh-My!: Cumulative Cone-Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20) (Cone-Area DC 20) (Crit 20), Antomatic-Atomiser: Weaken 15, +14 (DC Fort 25) (Crit 20), Cannon Array: Burst-Area Damage 12 (DC 27) (Crit 20), Cannon Array: Damage 12, +14 (DC 27) (Crit 20), Grab: +5 (DC Spec 26) (Bludgeon, Crit 20), Null-Rays: Nullify 12 (DC Will 22) (Crit 20), Pin-Point Weapons: Damage 10, +18 (DC 25) (Crit 16-20), Reinforced Fists: Strength-based Damage 4, +5, (DC 35) (Crit 20), Shrinking Rays & Tractor Beams: Movement Attack 6, +5 (DC Dog 16) (Crit 20), Throw, +4 (DC 31) (Bludgeon, Crit 20), Turbo-Round: Damage 10, +14 (DC 25) (Crit 18-20), Unarmed, +9 (DC 31) (Bludgeon, Crit 20)
Defensive: 10 Points
Dodge 0 (5), Parry 5 (5), Fortitude Immune (0), Toughness 20 (Impervious 20), Will Immune (0)
Total Abilities 2 + Powers 262 + Advantages 35 + Skills 11 + Defenses 10 = 321
Quirk: Crew and Compartmentalized – The Walking Tank (!) is crewed by an army numbering in the millions; without its crew, The Walking Tank (!) can only perform the most basic of functions, amongst other issues
Machine Nature: The Walking Tank (!) is an impossibly complex machine, made and manufactured via the collective efforts of billions of beings; it’s somewhat vulnerable to effects that can affect other machines. In addition, its nature of being what is, to the crew, a colossal, plannet-spanning machine, can cause all sorts of problems for its crew members; the very nature of its make-up making it vulnerable to an attack from an oblique angle
Not From Around Here: The Walking Tank (!) required an immense amount of power and planning to come from the microverse to our own, much less from the blue-print to the picture; effects that can affect or alter its size - or nullify such affects all-together - or can otherwise alter its structure, can have incredibly dangerous results for The Walking Tank, its crew, and everyone around it.
Internal Crew – Minion Rank 16 PL: 10, pp: 236
Abilities: 30 Points
STR – STA 0 AGL 0 DEX 5 FGT 5 INT 5 AWE 5 PRE 5
Powers: 143 Points
A Million, Million Tiny Hands – Array 23 – 25 Points
- Don’t Even Aim, Just Fire Everything!: Damage 7 (Range 175/350/700 ft., DC 22) (Extras: Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Subtle: subtle 1)
- REPAIR! REPAIR! REPAIR! REPAIR! HEAL! HEAL! HEAL! HEAL!: Healing 5 (Extras: Affects Objects, Persistent, Restorative, Stabilize, Subtle: subtle 1)
- Wear It Down!: Burst Area Weaken 5 (Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 25) (Extras: Effects Objects Only, Burst-Area: 30 foot sphere DC 15, Selective, Subtle: subtle 1)
Millions & Millions & Millions & – 116 Points
- All-Together: Immunity 12 (Aging, Disease, Environmental Conditions (All), Poison, Sleep, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All)
- Can’t Kill us All!: Immortality 2 (Return after 1 week)
- Coordination, People!: Enhanced Trait 60 (Traits: Intellect +10 (+15), Awareness +10 (+15), Presence +10 (+15)) (Flaws: Limited – Awareness does not contribute to Will Defense (20 ranks), Unreliable (Roll))
- Linguistics Department: Comprehend 3 (Languages – Read All, Speak All, Understand All)
- Millions & Millions & Millions of Minds: Enhanced Trait 11 (Traits: Will +10 (+20), Advantages: Ultimate Effort: Will) (Flaws: Limited – not against area mental attacks): Impervious Will 20 (Flaws: Limited – Not against area mental attacks)
- Millions & Millions & Millions: Insubstantial 2 (Gaseous) (Extras: Innate; Flaws: permanent): Protection 10 (+10 Toughness): Quickness 10 (Perform routine tasks in -10 time ranks)
- So Tiny: Concealment 10 (All Senses) (Extras: Innate; Flaws: permanent)
Tiny & Big: Movement 1 (Dimensional: Microverse and Back 1: one dimension – 2 Points
Equipment: 0 Points (0 EP)
Advantages: 22 Points
Assessment, Beginner’s Luck, Benefit 4: Wealth & Resources, Connected, Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improved Initiative 5, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack-of-all-trades, Speed of Thought, Teamwork, Well-informed, Ultimate Effort: Will
Skills: 36 Points (72 Ranks)
Deception 6 (+11), Expertise: Science 6 (+11), Expertise: Warfare & Military 6 (+11), Insight 6 (+11), Intimidation 6 (+11), Investigation 6 (+11), Perception 6 (+11), Persuasion 6 (+11), Technology 8 (+13), Treatment 8 (+13), Vehicles – (+5)
Don’t Even Aim, Just Fire Everything!: Damage 7, +5 (DC 22) (Crit 20), Wear it Down: Burst-Area Weaken 5 (DC Fort 15) (Crit 20)
Defensive: 5 Points
Dodge None (0), Parry 5 (0), Fortitude 0 (0), Toughness 10, Will 20/10 (5)
Total Abilities 30 + Powers 143 + Advantages 22 + Skills 36 + Defenses 5 = 236
Hatred: The Giants – While their relations with the overlanders have somewhat cooled over the recent years, some of the peoples of the Nevada Test Site still bare a mighty grudge against their attackers.
Quirk: A Million, Million Voices – the internal crew of The Living Tank (!) is made of literally millions of members, from all manner of groups, organisations and species; while they all try work in concert towards their combined goal of revenge upon the giants, the focused-on word here is ‘try’