Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bookmazo!

Defender of the Word

Question Re: Bookmazo!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    > In game?
    Surely the setting has superhero TTRPGs. Or even just superhero comics, and consequently superhero comic character encyclopedias.
    It's logical in-character powergaming to find a book chock full of superbeings.

The more I think about this, the more I really like the core concept of drawing power from fiction.
    I'm building my own variant of this, it's a fun idea.
    Hows the character coming along anyway?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Bookmazo!

Quote Originally Posted by Abe ray View Post
    Any new thoughts in the matter? The time limit for power retention (in my opinion) should be 12-45 minutes per character read about.
    If it's per character, I don't see that as a signficant disadvantage; you can wait until you need any of possibly dozens of characters from a book, and still keep those powers for one or more scenes. Maybe make it into a rarely-triggered Complication just so it's actually written down?

Now, if the time limit were, say, 30 minutes per book starting from the time you first configured the power to copy any of the traits from it, that seems viable as a Limitation flaw (or at least a multi-point Quirk.)
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes, The New All-Star Squadron and Cosmic Privateers: Cartegena.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    If it's per character, I don't see that as a signficant disadvantage; you can wait until you need any of possibly dozens of characters from a book, and still keep those powers for one or more scenes. Maybe make it into a rarely-triggered Complication just so it's actually written down?

Now, if the time limit were, say, 30 minutes per book starting from the time you first configured the power to copy any of the traits from it, that seems viable as a Limitation flaw (or at least a multi-point Quirk.)
    Your right 30 minutes/book makes more sense to me as well.

Keeper of Secrets

> Hows the character coming along anyway?
    Mostly done, forked it into two versions actually. Both had the same concept: Stuck up teenage brat with dreams of glory gained meta-narrative power and most importantly the ability to turn into a fictional character who was significantly better as a person. They'd be insufferable while themselves, and a true and noble hero while transformed. Obviously, this would mean transformed-them would be liked and untransformed-them disliked, which would set off their fragile ego. As play progressed, I'd have the character transition from their initial immature self to a significantly better person as they realized that doing the right thing was more important than being famous. And of course that'd mean that they'd stop being a brat, people would warm up to them, and consequently they'd actually get everything they'd initially wanted. Happily ever after, etc. Nice neat character arc if the game lasted.
    I had posted an earlier version of it as an application, but deleted it when I decided I didn't believe I'd mesh well with the GM and needed to withdraw. I can't work up the energy to retype it in forum syntax two more times, so I'll just post the raw spreadsheets. Readability may be poor, people say my aesthetic sense for character spreadsheets is whacked. The Abilities page would normally have flavor text for the powers but I rarely do that anymore.

Uploaded to https://ufile.io/xzwjw https://ufile.io/gxvvw
    V1 is the initial concept, with a large GM controlled variable pool and fitting closer to the original idea posted in this thread.
    V2 is a further modification from there, switching over to narrative control powers as a "reality warper" with a bitter tone that would change from debuffs to support powers as he grew as a person.