Thread: D'OH!! GM screwups

D'OH!! GM screwups

Just a bit of a forehead slap for me. Not really looking for advice, just venting a little. lol

For some reason, I set my campaign shortly after the Fifth Blight. Of course, most of the published adventures in the core book and elsewhere (Where Eagles Lair, Battle's Edge, etc.) are set during it. So now I have these adventures that talk of the Blight and Darkspawn attacks and in my campaign those wouldn't be happening. I kinda hosed myself on that one. I'm an experienced GM and I can come up with some explanation of why the Darkspawn are still around and causing problems, but I wouldn't have had to do that if I'd just read the darned adventures before I started my campaign. Also, I should have known that the Blight and Darkspawn would have still been one of the major threats in the setting! DUH!

And a minor one for my players... I want to run Invisible Chains from the core book, but I can't get my players interested in getting that close to Orlais. They are fiercely loyal Fereldens, and traveling to Orlais is completely off their travel plans. lol

Re: D'OH!! GM screwups

Just because the Blight is over doesn't mean the Darkspawn are gone.

My campaign is set in a general time frame, no mention of the Blight, but Darkspawn are a common threat my group faces.

That's what I'm going with, honestly. I don't suppose it would be so unusual for Darkspawn to remain agitated long after a Blight. The worst is over, but raids continue for some time after.

Just kicking myself a little for not doing better prep by reading the adventures ahead of time. Lol

I think it's happened to most GMs at least once.

I know years ago I was running an adventure out of Dungeon Magazine for my D&D group where they had to go over a mountain pass and stay at the shelters place along the road.

Completely forgot that one of them had a Daern's Instant Fortress. Ruined the whole thing.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Glimpse View Post
    Just because the Blight is over doesn't mean the Darkspawn are gone.

My campaign is set in a general time frame, no mention of the Blight, but Darkspawn are a common threat my group faces.
    This is true - dwarves are constantly fighting darkspawn on the deep roads, even when there is no blight.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelybran View Post
    This is true - dwarves are constantly fighting darkspawn on the deep roads, even when there is no blight.
    Exactly. First, there's this quote from Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume II:

"AMONG THE SADDEST legacies of the Fifth Blight are those poor souls who survived the darkspawn attacks across Ferelden only to succumb to the corruption of the blight itself. We have seen animalsóbirds, wolves, and even bearsócorrupted into mindless ruinations of their former selves..."

So what your, or my, groups are fighting could be corrupted versions of animals and humans tainted by the Blight. They just look so much like Darkspawn that the average person would consider them so, and regardless, they are Blight Tainted and need to be destroyed.

It's been a while since I've played Origins, (and I believe it was in Origins, but it may have been Awakening) but there was one Darkspawn you could make a deal with. It would go free in exchange for releasing someone under it's control.

The wrap-up flavor text indicated that travelers would sometimes come across it on the Imperial Highway between Orzamaar and Lake Calenhad, years after the events of that game, long after the Archdemon has been defeated.

As for the published adventures, it's easy to be murky with the time frame and to customize it for what you need.

I know what you mean about getting your characters to go to Orlais. My fiancee's character, a City Elf Apostate, ended up being left in charge of Denerim's Bleakwatch chapter while Shoshanna went back off to Halamshiral. She's managed to turn it from a ragtag group to a political force and criminal empire where anyone who is destitute or downtrodden knows they can get protection, a job, or anything in-between. So, it's hard to get her out of the alienage and out adventuring, and the rogue is a charismatic, diplomatic talker and negotiator, so he's not keen to leave either.

Luckily, I have two more players starting tomorrow night, which will have enough ties to strike a nice balance between the intrigue plots we normally do, and some good old fashioned hack and slash.

Inceptor

About the Darkspawn threat, don't forget that Loghain didn't believe the attacking hoard was actually a sign of a Blight and Cailan shortly remarks he has his doubts too. You can also discuss it with Duncan. So there is a massive Darkspawn army marching left and right and people don't immediatelly suspect a Blight - which suggests these things do happen and that Darkspawn are a threat even without a Blight. But they are disorganized and probably incapable of any form of strategy.

Yeah, I got it covered. I'm just shaking my head at myself because I could have saved myself a lot of hassle if I'd just had half a brain. lol

I'm going with the "Darkspawn remain agitated in the wake of a Blight and continue small-scale raids for a while afterwards." So, Blight's over, but the threat of continued incursions is ongoing for a while, especially near places close to entries into the Deep Roads.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by TheComet View Post
    Yeah, I got it covered. I'm just shaking my head at myself because I could have saved myself a lot of hassle if I'd just had half a brain. lol

I'm going with the "Darkspawn remain agitated in the wake of a Blight and continue small-scale raids for a while afterwards." So, Blight's over, but the threat of continued incursions is ongoing for a while, especially near places close to entries into the Deep Roads.
    Actually, Darkspawn are a problem that never goes away completely - you can even have big incursions, to the point where (before Ostagar) plenty people questioned it being an actual Blight. Forget some random raids - you can have a literal army of darkspawn marching through the surface without any Archdemon to command a Blight proper. Then, after the Archdemon died, you're left with country half-overrun with darkspawn. They don't just disappear in a puff of smoke either.
    Common sense pretty much requires Darkspawn to still remain a serious threat after the Blight - having Darkspawn as a still-present problem in post-Blight campaign isn't a screw-up: it's the world having some consistency and a bit of ontological inertia :P Even if you did it by mistake, you didn't screw up there
    Last edited by eliastion; 03-14-2018 at 10:19 AM.

You're doing it right - don't forget that after a The Blight comes The Thaw, which basically works just like you describe it: "Darkspawn remain agitated in the wake of a Blight and continue small-scale raids for a while afterwards."