Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

Contacts might be better if instead or in addition it gave free contacts per Talent rank.

As for Music Blue Rose did a better job with the Performance Talent.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I actually think the problems with Contacts potentially is that it is very GM facing. A GM needs to recognize how useful "The guy who knows a guy" is in many situations and craft a setting and adventurers where this is important.

For ex: Need silver in a town where silver is banned because the lord is a werewolf? I know a guy... Need to find a map of the old sewers to help circumvent all those new traps the evil wizard had built? Let me call this girl I know... But if those situations don't exist in adventures? Yeah, its not very useful.

Note: I agree that's at least a potential problem. I'll ponder how to address that.
    I'm fine with the idea, but the implementation is poor. At Master level, you get a favor if you do a favor... that's three talent points for what essentially happens in play. It better represent your idea if each level gave the PC a number of contacts (e.g., COMx1 at Novice, COMx2 at Journeyman, etc.). Each contact would be a service -- a fence, loremaster, smith, thief, etc., who could perform checks (or bonuses) X amount of times per adventure/day/whatever. For example, a loremaster could perform an Arcane Lore check, whereas a tailor contact could provide an outfit that provides a bonus +1 to disguise during a particular adventure. As is, the talent is too vaguely written and encapsulates too much of gameplay and not nearly enough what makes a mechanical talent.

Keeper of Secrets

Or, more concretely:

Novice: Player has access to 3 Novice level contacts. Services can be accessed once per adventure. A Novice contact can perform 2 different types of checks with a roll +2. Or the contact can provide a +1 bonus to the player's rolls with those same types of checks.

Journeyman: Player gains 2 Journeyman contacts. Journeyman contacts can be accessed once per adventure. They can perform 4 different types of checks with a roll +4, or they can provide a +2 bonus to the player's rolls with those same checks.

Master: Player gains access to 1 Master level contact. Master level contacts can perform any checks that the GM deems applicable to their skill set with a roll +6, and provide a +3 bonus to the player's checks.

Contacts could be created with a varying TN (say 9, 12, and 15) and a favor/gold amount. Or they could be upgraded from existing contacts with a lesser amount (say 9, 11, 13 and half the favor/gold) for existing contacts.

Keeper of Secrets Kot the Protector's Avatar

I'm hoping that I am wrong, but I am feeling a bit confused about the Enchantment Arcana.

I LOVE what the Arcana represents: spells that allow someone to not only affect the powers of items by imbuing them with power or even taking it away. They have spells for creating Temporary and Permanent Magic Items.

The spells Imbue Item and Empower Item have some details that worry me. It claims that you need to cast the spell 10 times to make a Common Temporary Magic Item. By this wording, it costs 100 MP and 40 hours to make one Healing Potion. It takes 80 hours and 200 MP to make one magic arrow (Accuracy, Piercing, Wounding). 500 MP and 200 hours to make a rare temporary item (assuming you campaign includes them).

Maybe the intent was to change these based on the rarity of magic items in your campaign, moving it up or down a step for your magic items? At the very least, I will probably make adjustments to the spells' functions for my campaign, but I thought I should ask.
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Kot the Protector View Post
    I'm hoping that I am wrong, but I am feeling a bit confused about the Enchantment Arcana.

I LOVE what the Arcana represents: spells that allow someone to not only affect the powers of items by imbuing them with power or even taking it away. They have spells for creating Temporary and Permanent Magic Items.

The spells Imbue Item and Empower Item have some details that worry me. It claims that you need to cast the spell 10 times to make a Common Temporary Magic Item. By this wording, it costs 100 MP and 40 hours to make one Healing Potion. It takes 80 hours and 200 MP to make one magic arrow (Accuracy, Piercing, Wounding). 500 MP and 200 hours to make a rare temporary item (assuming you campaign includes them).

Maybe the intent was to change these based on the rarity of magic items in your campaign, moving it up or down a step for your magic items? At the very least, I will probably make adjustments to the spells' functions for my campaign, but I thought I should ask.
    I intend to houserule Imbue Item heavily: common temporary item only 1 use of spell and components, den x2 and x5 and so on. I mean, come on, 100 MP and 10 gp for one Healing potion or War Paint? Would be perhaps right for a rare magic campaign, but not for my campaign.

On another note, my players satisfy all the healing needs of their characters by breathers and heal actions. Never once did they ask for a healing potion.

Defender of the Word

I honestly have just created a larger list of craftable alchemical concoctions, give each a minimum Talent level, and each level of Alchemy gives three a rank. Because while grenades aren't terrible, they aren't what I think of when I see the word Alchemist. So Novice alchemy potentially allows the creation of healing poultices/potions/clothes (flavour as you wish, it takes an action to use), although they're fairly expensive, as well as antidotes and disease cures. Whole healing in AGE is east enough that potions and healing spells aren't really necessary it's part of the archetype for most people I know, certainly more than bombs do.

Yes, I'm considering allowing Master level Alchemists to craft panceas, elixirs of life, and to turn lead into gold. The first two aren't overly game breaking, and the third is the classic alchemist's goal.

I've honestly just been working on a Tashkent that allows anybody to create magic items, although Mages get a bit more millage out of it right now. I'm not sure I like the idea of forcing magic own crafter's to take a specific Arcana, when I get the book I might use the spells for a guideline on how strong crafted items should be, and either ban the Arcana or replace a spell or two.

Defender of the Word

I definitely agree with those times and efforts.
    Imbuing crafting it's ok, but the access to any item must be restricted in order to preserve some balance and charm.

Consider this: with a breather you recover 5 + + CON + level. Assume an average lvl8 PC with +1 CON. Means 14 health.

With a long rest this becomes 19.

A healing attempt (open to any PC) restores an average of 5-7.

At 8th level you have around 53 hp with our example.

Not considering magical healing, you can technically recover a health pool of 30-32 hps per day wothout full rest.
    If you add a potion to the mix, you have the pool increased to 43_45 recovered health per day without the use of magic.

Now imagine a weapon with a to hit bonus. An optimized character has a good +7 bonus at level 4 or so, meaning an average result on attacks at about 17. A balanced enemy has 13-15. Means you are already above, not considering the extra damage altering armor efficiency.

What I mean is that magic items in FAGE can break any tension, should be used with care and be rare. Furthermor, i don't give out to hit bonuses. Better increasing damage and leaving items with an evocative property. But even then, you should be aware that the "Innocentl" add of a quick crafter makes average AGE like high D&D (and I love d&d), which is destroying AGE as a good modern alternative game to classic approaches.

My 2 nuyens. 😀

Anyone else having the issue of every time they place the Fantasy AGE Companion in their order they aren't offered the PDF version for $5? Keeps happening to me, so I back out.

Baleful Eye of SaurMod Fildrigar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psistrike View Post
    Anyone else having the issue of every time they place the Fantasy AGE Companion in their order they aren't offered the PDF version for $5? Keeps happening to me, so I back out.
    Do you have a pop up blocker installed? That might keep you from getting the offer. Email custserv@greenronin.com for help.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Fildrigar View Post
    Do you have a pop up blocker installed? That might keep you from getting the offer. Email custserv@greenronin.com for help.
    Thank you. Have two different ad blocker extensions and didn't know they would keep me from seeing the offer. Have them disabled for the greenronin store now and got the offer.