Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

Baleful Eye of SaurMod Fildrigar's Avatar

Re: Excited about the new Fantasy AGE Companion

SOON.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

UN Basic Recipient Fantasy Heartbreaker's Avatar

Everything I have read so far in the PDF I purchased from RPGNOW has lead me to believe I will want to hardcover for sure.

This expands a LOT of the stuff I wanted to have expanded.

Cheers!

UN Basic Recipient Fantasy Heartbreaker's Avatar

Am I crazy or was there talk of a 4th Character Class being added way back when?

I seem to recall that.

Baleful Eye of SaurMod Fildrigar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Heartbreaker View Post
    Am I crazy or was there talk of a 4th Character Class being added way back when?

I seem to recall that.
    There was talk of it, but it ended up overlapping too much so it got removed. I'm sure we'll see a fourth class eventually.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to comment on a few things I was thinking about while writing the races.

I should say, all of the races were handed to me by Jack and the other folks at GR with almost no info other than type of race. It was something like, "We want an animal race, a mechanical/golem race, a dragon race that has to be different from lizardfolk, and a half-monster race that's pretty flexible." Everything beyond that was up to me, with input from Jack as I came up with ideas. And actually, I think I may have suggested one of the races, but I don't remember which.

Anyway, here's what I was thinking about when working on the races.

Beastfolk: We have races in FAGE that concentrate on a number of attributes, but none that specializes in Perception. I thought an animal race would be great for that and made more sense than Strength or Dexterity because those are more dependent on the type of animal -- and a lot of races already get bonuses to those stats. I also liked that Perception is something players always want their characters to be good at, for good reason. Plus, it fits for outdoorsy characters like rangers, barbarians, etc. Oh, and this race also makes it possible to create your own versions of animal races of your own, so you can pick a few options from the list and create a "standard" lizardfolk or ape-folk race.

Blooded: This was a weird one and even the rules for it are weird because they rely on the player and GM to agree on what abilities make sense and aren't overpowering. What Jack wanted here was a "generic half-race" that could combine a base race (human, elf, whatever) and a monster. The picture for the race in the book includes a half-ice giant and a half-demon. In a lot of ways, this class is more about flavor and story hooks than POWER, but it gives a player and GM the ability to introduce some funky stuff into their game that isn't readily doable in other games. Want to play a half-ogre? Here you go!

Draak: I think this started as "we want to include a lizard race, but we've already done the Saurians in Titansgrave and Serpentfolk in Freeport." So, I looked at all the races and thought (much like with the Beastfolk) that we have races that concentrate on almost all of the stats, but none that focuses on Willpower and magic in general. I thought a dragon race would be a great option for a physically intimidating and magically talented race; a perfect option for a fighter/magic-user! The race also includes some interesting abilities that reinforce their magical talent, such as their ability to use one of their focuses to defend against magic.

Oreans: I know some people have a hard time with "robots" in their fantasy, but I think they're pretty cool. I specifically didn't include any sort of origin for them -- created to fight a war, crashed here on a world-traveling ship, from another dimension -- because I liked the idea of them simply always having been part of the world. The only hint at their origins is in the fact that they speak Draak as one of their native languages. So, a GM could say that in their world, the Draak long ago created the Oreans, or that they're in some way connected. One of the things I wanted to do with the Oreans was to reinforce their mechanical appearance. Again, looking at the other races, if they have a weapon they can use, it's always a standard melee or ranged weapons, so I thought it would be cool to have the Oreans concentrate on firearms. In games where firearms are used, this makes the Oreans stand out as an interesting option. One important note: I find it annoying when healing can't help all the characters equally, so I made the Living Clockwork ability to help out there while also defining exactly what sorts of advantages a character gets for being a "robot".

--Jon

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    Oh, and this race also makes it possible to create your own versions of animal races of your own, so you can pick a few options from the list and create a "standard" lizardfolk or ape-folk race.
    You could also use it to create new non-humanoid animal characters: give them an innate weapon (and maybe Armored, if giving them crafted armor would be a problem) and you're good.