Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Of Gods and Men

Smile Of Gods and Men

IC Thread

Hi. For those of us who don't know me, I've been a longtime member of the boards, back when it was the Atomic Think Tank, although I will admit that I'm post-1E (well, I started playing there, but 2E was already out by then). Unfortunately, in the last year or two, I just... got unreliable. The games I was running, the games I was in... I just couldn't seem to keep up. I'd get so bogged down in what I wanted to happen next that I'd just stop. And the longer I paused, the harder it was to start again. And, after a while, I just stopped trying.

The thing is, we're short on games right now, with most of them being longrunners that are inaccessible to new players, and I always did alright running one-shots where I could just pull the plot and the characters off of the pages, so I figure I'll try running one of those at a time for a while, see how it goes.

The one I have in mind (basically because I looked at the PDFs I've bought and just grabbed the first one that looked like a oneshot) is Hunter and Prey: Of Gods and Men. As a one-shot, you don't necessarily need any real background, but it does kick off with a museum opening the display of a unique mummy of great historical significance. I'm probably going to set it in Freedom City, but on one of the days when the Freedom League is out of town, Next Gen is on a fieldtrip, etc, so that we're not tripping over all of the heroes in the setting.

The suggested team is four players of PL 10. Other than that, it's the usual drill of not being abusive with your build, etc. 150 pp is the goal, but if you feel like you're only going to be able to squeeze your character into there by sacrificing what makes them what they are, I'm cool with that.

Expected pace is posting at least once a day when it's your turn or we're out of combat. I will be trying to do the same.

Is there anything else I missed? I'm a bit rusty at this...

Submissions:
    Rex Roughman: A werewolf whose normal form is wolfman.
    Phaseshift: A former thief phaser turned good.
    Medusa: An ancient snake woman from the age of myths and legends.
    Kayla Maconnel: An alchemist with magical artifacts.
    Mirror Man: A hard to hurt reflector.
    Adam: A gamma-powered experiment
    Ōrudorobo: A cyborg sword master from the future.
    Ultra Gal: A supergirl lite.
    Diamond: Turning into diamond body power house.
    Knocton: Alien in a robo-spider suit

Chosen Team:
    • Phaseshift
    • Medusa
    • Kayla Maconnel
    • Mirror Man
    • Ultra Gal
    • Knocton

OPA Belta

Re: Of Gods and Men

Well, obviously I'm in. I will start out creating a speedster and end up with a brick/energy projector as usually happens when I create a superhero.

Cool. Let me know if you need any help. And, if you are new to this, my point of advice would be to start with an archetype, or a build from the Quick Character Generator if you have it, and then modify it. It makes it a lot easier to remember to get all of the essential in before the whiz-bang stuff.

I'd be up for a one-shot. Not sure what kind of character I'll submit just yet though. I'll rack my brain and see what I come up with.

I'm gonna let the people searching for a game apply first but if none of them are around I'd be more then happy to apply for something.

OPA Belta

I'll second the character creation advice about the character generator. Unless you like the number side of character creation using it as a base and updating the various bits you want to tweak for customization is the easiest way to go.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by mrdent12 View Post
    I'll second the character creation advice about the character generator. Unless you like the number side of character creation using it as a base and updating the various bits you want to tweak for customization is the easiest way to go.
    I've played Champions for 20+ years. M&M3 char gen is "simple" by comparison. Even if I've only really created 2 M&M characters to completion so far. My main problem is translating the terminology. And these days I prefer the M&M damage model to the complexity of tracking STUN, BODY and END in Champions. My other problem is not being fully aware of the M&M culture of "don't make a character with power X". I hear regeneration is a big no-no. (My first char had 10 levels of it and the GM only complained a little.)

OPA Belta

Each gm has their own barometer of too powerful. When I go by no time travel, variables without good cause, perception without good cause, and that sort with the general rule if it seems too powerful it probably is.

Fuzzy might have his own standards in that regard.

OPA Belta

Will this be 2e or 3e?

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    My other problem is not being fully aware of the M&M culture of "don't make a character with power X". I hear regeneration is a big no-no. (My first char had 10 levels of it and the GM only complained a little.)
    It's uncommon that a single power, even a strong variant, will be what causes issues for a GM. Even Regeneration 10 can be OK, especially if coupled with a low Toughness and no other defensive advantages. It's usually combinations of certain traits/powers that are the problem.

A toughness-shifted character with Impervious Protection 15 and Regeneration 10? That'll usually lead to a rewrite.

Accurate long-range Mental senses plus full-power Perception-ranged attacks? That's a "Bathroom Mentalist," also usually frowned upon.

Even Insubstantial 4 isn't too bad... provided you don't slap full ranks of Affects Corporeal on all your attacks.

It still depends a bit on the GM, but generally, the question to ask is: will this power set give the character an extreme combat advantage that can't be overcome without specialized tactics/powers geared exclusively toward the character?
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes, Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts and Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab.