Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power to inflict corruption points

Defender of the Word

Power to inflict corruption points

Supernatural Handbook proposes corruption points as a new stat to track in horror games. What would a power that inflicts these points look like? Affliction? I realize they weren't necessarily meant to be something that could be inflicted by an attack power but humor me on this as a hypothetical.

Re: Power to inflict corruption points

An Affliction sounds reasonable. If nothing else an Affliction with Transformed(corrupted) as a possible outcome could be done completely by RAW.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    Andromeda (Welcome to Wonderland)
    Night Breeze (Transformers Game)
    MSG Grimes (Battle for LA)
    My character library so far

Keeper of Secrets

The only issue, as I recall, is Corruption is supposed to be a long-term problem which normally isn't something a simple attack could do in M&M, so I'd expect any Corruption to wear off pretty quickly if applied by a power.

I'd also suggest that Weaken might be a better model to work from than Affliction.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdreamer View Post
    The only issue, as I recall, is Corruption is supposed to be a long-term problem which normally isn't something a simple attack could do in M&M, so I'd expect any Corruption to wear off pretty quickly if applied by a power.

I'd also suggest that Weaken might be a better model to work from than Affliction.
    In most games, definitely. In the particular one I'm running, corruption makes more sense though.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by fredgerd View Post
    In most games, definitely. In the particular one I'm running, corruption makes more sense though.
    I assume you meant "affliction" in the sentence above?

Keeper of Secrets

I like the Weaken idea. Instead of subtracting points from a power, Corruption would add Corruption points. How much per rank would depend on how much effect you expect it to have and how long it needs to last.

Alternatively hand the character a Villain Point and tell them that they will find out what it does when they play it..? I believe it was John Wick in Play Dirty who originally suggested it?

I recently had a player use a very dark spell so we bluebooked his gaining a stigmata snake tattoo on his arm (it was a serpent people spell calling on the serpent god Yig) as a physical and permanent manifestation of his decision and I handed him a card on which I'd written Villain Point but with no instructions about what it does when played. If he ever does play it I'll likely make sure something backfires and hurts someone he cares about or add 10 to a roll so it does serious damage to an innocent... Or possibly wait and let it play out when its most appropriate...

Make them fear the effect of corruption.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdreamer View Post
    I assume you meant "affliction" in the sentence above?
    No I meant corruption. In the campaign I'm running, which is a horror campaign, having a power that inflicts corruption is useful to me. I may use affliction for that power. Weaken doesn't work in this case, because it's gonna need to be a permanent / semi-permanent effect that uses counters.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I like the Weaken idea. Instead of subtracting points from a power, Corruption would add Corruption points. How much per rank would depend on how much effect you expect it to have and how long it needs to last.
    That's an interesting way to look at it. I might consider that.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by fredgerd View Post
    No I meant corruption. In the campaign I'm running, which is a horror campaign, having a power that inflicts corruption is useful to me. I may use affliction for that power. Weaken doesn't work in this case, because it's gonna need to be a permanent / semi-permanent effect that uses counters.
    Then I'm not clear on what the response to my post meant. Corruption makes more sense than what?