Thread: ICONS Wikispaces to be deleted

UN Basic Recipient

ICONS Wikispaces to be deleted

This site (https://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/), which contains a retinue of material that I've put to some pretty productive use, is being deleted - before the end of the year, according to the proviso - as, it seems, part of a major cost-saving maneuver for Wikispaces in general. I am hoping that Green Ronin can give the site, and/or its attendant material, a new home. Although a member, I was never able to find out how to actually post a message; nonetheless, I'd advise all those who are interested to have a look, copy the relevant material, and hope that we can get this thing archived in some accessible fashion.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: ICONS Wikispaces to be deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Black Talon View Post
    This site (https://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/), which contains a retinue of material that I've put to some pretty productive use, is being deleted - before the end of the year, according to the proviso - as, it seems, part of a major cost-saving maneuver for Wikispaces in general. I am hoping that Green Ronin can give the site, and/or its attendant material, a new home. Although a member, I was never able to find out how to actually post a message; nonetheless, I'd advise all those who are interested to have a look, copy the relevant material, and hope that we can get this thing archived in some accessible fashion.
    Yes, it's a sad day, indeed. I am also a member and posted lots of game support material on it over the past couple of years. It was a great outlet that was easy to use and view the contributions of others.

UN Basic Recipient

One further point - of no great matter, but just stating current developments - the ICONS Wikispace now reads, "Subscription Expired This wiki's subscription has expired. The wiki will be reactivated once one of the wiki organizers renews the wiki's subscription."

I made the point of copying the list of ICONS modules, public game releases, etc., before this "expiry" - I can at least keep up to date with the 2014 material in order of release, if nothing else - but whether Mr. Kenson deigns to reactivate this site before Wikispaces is shut down entirely is a purely abstract matter at this stage. Again, really hoping that Green Ronin, or some other angel investor, can choose to give this material some sort of online space to be accessed and/or updated in perpetuity. Hope the gang is enjoying the game, and looking forward to new releases - online modules, hardcopy works, et al - as 2018 progresses forward.

UN Basic Recipient

How much is the subscription fee?

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
    How much is the subscription fee?
    Fair point, KrazyKat; I don't imagine it'd be too onerous, but as the ICONS Wikispace page itself states, "The wiki will be reactivated once one of the wiki organizers renews the wiki's subscription." (italics added) I don't imagine anyone aside from Steve Kenson himself has the authority to qualify as "one of the wiki organizers", and that he's likely just waiting until the entire site's expiry before re-establishing it in some other venue. Nonetheless, I do take your argument; if we could just organize a Kickstarter or the like (I'd certainly contribute a few bucks to keep that site going for the duration), it'd be real nice to have that selection of game material available again - official and fanboy/girl-created alike.

ICONS has continually struck me as one of Mr. Kenson's best originated, organized and damn playable works. Really hoping and looking forward to the online support continuing and expanding over time to come.

UN Basic Recipient

What I suppose is the final item in this thread, inconsequential as it may be: ICONS Wikispace has been officially deleted. I had, and still do have, a serious attachment to the place, and all the items therein; really, really hoping that the site can be resurrected in some form or fashion, and expanded as the game continues to evolve and accumulate further modules/resource books/etc.

To the Green Ronin staff who might be doing moderation for this forum: As has been stated previously, I - and I imagine a serious group of ICONS fans out there - would be much appreciative if the site could be resurrected/refurbished in connection with M&M in some way.

Imagining we'll see a few other notations of joys of remembrance over the next few days. To the crew who put the ICONS Wikispace site together: All our thanks. Your work provided another venue through which we could indulge our passions, and we hold thumbs and hopes up that we will see its like again in the not-too-distant-future.

UN Basic Recipient

Someone on facebook mentioned there was an ICONS forum here (Thanks JS!) I had forgotten, sorry.

I'm rebuilding the ICONS wiki right now. The infrastructure is done, the base pages are all set with links to all remaining pages. Some have been uploaded and fixed (wikispaces was apparently not very standard), but I'm looking for former contributors who want to join and upload their stuff again. Please let me know if you're one of them.

First step is to finish restoration-- loosely defined, as there is no revision history and the discussion files can't be reattached to their original pages as far as I can tell, and I've asked everyone I can think of, even a paid hosting service stopped responding. However, as far as I can see, there was very little discussion and revisions.

Anyway, after restoration I'll be happy if people want to post new material, but my goal is to first pick up where it left off.
    Last edited by Lightning; 08-29-2018 at 12:12 PM.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Someone on facebook mentioned there was an ICONS forum here (Thanks JS!) I had forgotten, sorry.

I'm rebuilding the ICONS wiki right now. The infrastructure is done, the base pages are all set with links to all remaining pages. Some have been uploaded and fixed (wikispaces was apparently not very standard), but I'm looking for former contributors who want to join and upload their stuff again. Please let me know if you're one of them.

First step is to finish restoration-- loosely defined, as there is no revision history and the discussion files can't be reattached to their original pages as far as I can tell, and I've asked everyone I can think of, even a paid hosting service stopped responding. However, as far as I can see, there was very little discussion and revisions.

Anyway, after restoration I'll be happy if people want to post new material, but my goal is to first pick up where it left off.
    I don't have any material to contribute. Just wanted to thank you for taking the initiative and doing this!

UN Basic Recipient

Seconding the unconditional approval: All my (and our) thanks, Lightning, for going to the effort on this. Very much looking forward to seeing the resurrected ICONS Wikispace site (or some reasonable facsimile thereof), and that a dedicated fanbase can continue to make contributions to, and engage in rules discussions/power and concept variations/and the always-welcome "You'll never believe what happened in our game last night!" posts. Please keep us updated with regard to progress, and thanks again.