Thread: [2E] Mind Reading Recognition

UN Basic Recipient

[2E] Mind Reading Recognition

As a mental effect, Mind Reading is implicitly subtle, but not to the subject. While the subject may recognize being probed, could they tell who was doing the effect if they were in LoS? Could they tell the difference between different people using Mind Reading?

Re: [2E] Mind Reading Recognition

Quote Originally Posted by virgileso View Post
    As a mental effect, Mind Reading is implicitly subtle, but not to the subject. While the subject may recognize being probed, could they tell who was doing the effect if they were in LoS?
    From the 2e core book under Powers > Power Effect Types > Mental:
    Mental effects are unnoticeable except to characters with mental senses like mental awareness (see Super-Senses, page 102). However, the target of a mental effect can sense it, and the effect’s source, unless the effect has the Subtle power feat (see page 110). So the target of Mind Reading, for example, can sense the mental intrusion, and has a feeling where it is coming from, unless the Mind Reading power is Subtle.
    My reading of that is that if someone was read by a non-Subtle mind-reader then they could turn around and look directly at the person if they are in LOS, and if they aren't they'd at least look in the right direction and could potentially give chase (although they might not know what they're looking for). If the Reader tried to be tricky about it by hiding in a crowd, I think an opposed Bluff vs Sense Motive would be appropriate, with possible modifiers based on the size of the crowd.

Could they tell the difference between different people using Mind Reading?
    This question is imprecise. If you mean could a target be able to tell which of two mind readers just read them, then I would say yes based on the directionality, with a possible Bluff vs SM similar to the above. However, if you mean could a target have someone read them and recognize the "feel" of that read later if the same person read them again, that might be dependent on the GM.

Personally, I would say no, or at least make it somewhat difficult for a non-psychic to identify the reader based on just being read. (IMO, this is roughly analogous to recognizing someone from how they punched you in the dark.) Probably a DC20 Sense Motive would be appropriate if they really tried (background and minion level NPCs should auto-fail). Add +5 bonus to the roll if the target has Mental Awareness or a comparable mental sense and another +5 if it's also Acute.

A more generous GM might set the difficulty lower (say DC15 or 10) if they want to make non-Subtle mental powers easier to track.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!