Thread: Help on Character Build

Inceptor

Help on Character Build

I'm building a replacement character for an ongoing game and wanted to have other eyes look over the sheet for feedback purposes.

The idea is someone with massive sensory and mental capabilities who can come in and be capable of generating information and leads for the more action oriented members of the group. Right now, the group has a lot of heavy hitters who end up sitting on their hands for 3/4's of a session because the investigation phases take so much time. The team also has no science oriented member, so I'm looking to fill that void, as well.

With that out of the way, here's the statblock:

Sensor - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 8, Presence 0

Advantages
    Attractive, Benefit, Security Clearance: Choose Clearance, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Contacts, Defensive Roll, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 3, Evasion, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Skill Mastery: Technology, Speed of Thought, Well-informed

Skills
    Deception 2 (+2), Expertise: Science! 9 (+17), Insight 8 (+16), Investigation 2 (+10), Perception 10 (+18), Persuasion 2 (+2), Ranged Combat: Blaster Pistol 8 (+8), Stealth 2 (+2), Technology 9 (+17), Treatment 1 (+9), Vehicles 2 (+2)

Powers
    Protection: Protection 4+5 ([Stacking ranks: +5], +9 Toughness)
    Force Field (Removable)
    Protection: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Stacks with: Protection: Protection 4+5, Sustained)
    Omni Senses: Senses 34 (Analytical (Type): Vision, Awareness: Mental, Counters All Concealment: Vision, Counters All Concealment: Hearing, Counters Illusion: Vision, Counters Illusion: Hearing, Extended: Vision 5: x100k, Extended: Hearing 5: x100k, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4: atom-size, Radio, Ultravision)
    Quickness: Quickness 3 (Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental Tasks only)
    X-Ray Vision: Senses 4 (Penetrates Concealment: Vision; blocked by Lead/Heavy Metals; Activation: move action, Distracting)

Equipment
    Armored Costume [Protection: Protection 4+5, [Stacking ranks: +5], +9 Toughness], Blaster Pistol

Offense
    Initiative +8
    Blaster Pistol, +15 (DC 20)
    Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
    Throw, +7 (DC 15)
    Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Complications
    [Redacted]

Languages
    English

Defense
    Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12/2, Will 10

Power Points
    Abilities 44 + Powers 41 + Advantages 22 + Skills 28 (55 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 157

Re: Help on Character Build

okay, you have like 3 sources of protection here, written the exact same way, one of which is equipment

second, I get that sensory powers are your guy's thing, but as is, you trivialize any sort of investigation challenge the GM could throw at you

If I were GMing, I would not approve
    Last edited by Kreuzritter; 01-11-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    okay, you have like 3 sources of protection here, written the exact same way, one of which is equipment
    Protection 4 is equipment -- Armored Costume. Sustained Protection 5 is a Removable Force Field Device. Total Toughness from all sources is 12. The oddities of how it is listed is an artifact of Hero-Labs statblock output. Sorry for the confusion.

second, I get that sensory powers are your guy's thing, but as is, you trivialize and sort of investigation challenge the GM could throw at you
    I was a bit afraid I'd gone overboard. Do you have any suggestions?

Keeper of Secrets

Your only method of reaching your offensive PL is a piece of equipment. Equipment can be removed by the GM for any or no reason at any time. Hence, the GM is able (and encouraged, to justify the discount you get) to remove your offense at a whim. Are you comfortable with this?

Your GM may or may not be accepting of you doing power stunts off a large Sense power. Ask them what they feel your options would be on that.

Protection from equipment explicitly does not stack with protection from other sources. Reference DHH pg 220.

You have made the classic "mistake" of taking massive Extended on senses but no Rapid. This may, depending on your GM's rulings, make it virtually impossible to use your senses for searching a wide area. Ask your GM.
    On a related note, you don't have Penetrates Concealment on your hearing: Your GM may have that significantly degrade the utility.

This is quite subjective, but I feel you don't have many options or fun things to do: You can gather immense amounts of sensory information, know Science! things, and not really do anything much with them. You also only have one thing to do in combat: Shoot people. That lack of options might get really boring.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Your only method of reaching your offensive PL is a piece of equipment. Equipment can be removed by the GM for any or no reason at any time. Hence, the GM is able (and encouraged, to justify the discount you get) to remove your offense at a whim. Are you comfortable with this?
    Yeah, I'm familiar with that and I am fine with it. I don't mind being "helpless" now and then; it means I have to focus on my Intellect to accomplish things and that is the purpose of the character.

Your GM may or may not be accepting of you doing power stunts off a large Sense power. Ask them what they feel your options would be on that.
    Good idea!

Protection from equipment explicitly does not stack with protection from other sources. Reference DHH pg 220.
    Oof. Good catch. I will fix that.

You have made the classic "mistake" of taking massive Extended on senses but no Rapid. This may, depending on your GM's rulings, make it virtually impossible to use your senses for searching a wide area. Ask your GM.
    On a related note, you don't have Penetrates Concealment on your hearing: Your GM may have that significantly degrade the utility.
    Rapid makes sense (no pun intended.) I wanted to keep the penetrates Concealment stuff as limited, but I do need to add it to Hearing. Another good catch.

This is quite subjective, but I feel you don't have many options or fun things to do: You can gather immense amounts of sensory information, know Science! things, and not really do anything much with them. You also only have one thing to do in combat: Shoot people. That lack of options might get really boring.
    My playstyle tends to revolve around using the environment and stunts to do things. I plan on bringing an invention to any battle we have advance warning of, so that should be fun. Still, it's a good consideration.

I have a lot of retooling to do!

Inceptor

Okay. Here's an update on the sheet. The really extensive senses have been broken up into two parts, one that is "always on" and one that requires that he concentrate on. He's still very capable of ruining Investigation missions, so it may still be overboard (I have not heard back from my GM yet!)

I've also corrected the equipment issues that were pointed out and added some "Locate Weakness" types of effects.

Without further ado: Sensor v0.2b

Sensor - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 8, Presence 0

Advantages
    Assessment, Attractive, Benefit, Security Clearance: Choose Clearance, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Contacts, Defensive Roll, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 2, Evasion, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Skill Mastery: Technology, Speed of Thought, Well-informed

Skills
    Deception 2 (+2), Expertise: Science! 9 (+17), Insight 8 (+16), Investigation 3 (+11), Perception 10 (+18), Persuasion 2 (+2), Ranged Combat: Blaster Pistol 8 (+8), Stealth 2 (+2), Technology 9 (+17), Treatment 1 (+9), Vehicles 2 (+2)

Powers
    Analyze Target: Weaken 8 (Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Subtle 2: undetectable; Activation: move action, Check Required 5: DC 14 - Insight, Distracting, Limited: Only vs. My Attacks)
    Armored Costume (Removable)
    Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
    Enhanced Omni Senses: Senses 14 (Extended: Hearing 3: x1k, Extended: Vision 3: x1k, Microscopic Vision 4: atom-size, Penetrates Concealment: Vision; blocked by Lead/Heavy Metals; Activation: move action, Distracting, Side Effect 2: always - DC 20 Toughness)
    Force Field (Removable)
    Protection: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious, Sustained)
    Omni Senses: Senses 20 (Analytical (Type): Vision, Counters All Concealment: Vision, Counters Illusion: Vision, Extended: Vision 2: x100, Extended: Hearing 2: x100, Infravision, Radio, Rapid: Vision 2, Rapid: Hearing 1, Ultra-hearing, Ultravision)
    Quickness: Quickness 3 (Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental Tasks only)

Equipment
    Blaster Pistol

Offense
    Initiative +8
    Analyze Target: Weaken 8 (DC Will 18)
    Blaster Pistol, +15 (DC 20)
    Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
    Throw, +7 (DC 15)
    Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Complications
    [redacted]

Languages
    English

Defense
    Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12/6, Will 10

Power Points
    Abilities 44 + Powers 41 + Advantages 22 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 157