Thread: Grappling

Inceptor

Grappling

Given the Blue Rose's focus on roleplaying and relationships, it would seem that if a fantasy RPG ever needed rules for physically subduing someone without hurting them in the process Blue Rose would be it. However, despite this, the rulebook doesn't contain grappling rules. Now, no doubt, I could hodge podge something together, but to avoid reinventing the wheel, I am asking here first.

Doesn't anybody have any house rules for grappling that they are particularly proud of, and if so would you mind sharing?

Re: Grappling

the way i do it personally is a Strength (Might) vs Strength (Might) Test. this is repeated over the course of a few rounds to show that positioning may shift in either direction. i am thinking of rules for Grappling specif Stunts myself like Joint Lock or Pinned. i also have dubbed that a player may choose to use Accuracy (Brawling) instead of Strength to show a quick strike to a vulnerable area as well. i do not currently have these things written, but this is how i do it myself.

i think it is a wonderful concept and could use further development myself, but i have many other projects on my plate as of now. i can aid with my input, but as far as creating the rules myself...it may be a while.

i hope this gets you started at least and i hope you have a wonderful beginning to a wonderful new year.

Inceptor

I based my grappling rules off of the True20 Blue Rose, which also includes psychic grappling using Psychic Contact.

I wrote it into a one-pager for my players to reference. Here's the summary:

---

Physical Grapple (Major Action)

(1) Touch: Player is to make an attack roll using Accuracy (Brawling) against the target's defense.
    (2) Grab: If successful, the player and the target must make an opposed Strength (Might) test. You may use Dexterity (Acrobatics) if you intend to break the pin or grapple.
    (3) Whomever wins the opposed test gets the following options (I've only listed a few): an unarmed attack (no attack roll necessary), pin (both player and target have a speed of 0), break pin, break grapple.

Each turn, the player and target must commit a major action to make an opposed test. Otherwise, they fail the grapple and the effect of failing the grapple occurs at the end of their turn.

---

Psychic Grapple (Major/Minor)

(I) Contact (Minor action): You must be in mental contact with the subject. See Psychic Contact arcanum for more details.
    (II) Grasp (Major action): You and the target make an opposed Willpower (Psychic) test.
    (III) The winner of the opposed test may choose one of the following options: deal 1d6+Wil nonlethal penetrating damage, pin, use a psychic arcana, break contact.

Psychic grappling requires total concentration and failing to commit a major action means you fail the grapple.

There are also rules on using arcana while grappling, stunt points while grappling, multiple grapplers, and penalties while grappling.

---

I like using psychic grappling because it allows the non-combative player to still be meaningful in combat using only Communication and Willpower as the offensive stat.

One of my players particularly likes psychic grappling and I even prepped a Psychic specialization for her if she chooses that path.

PM if you want more details. =D

Inceptor

Thanks for the replies.

I was already leaning towards a contest involving either Strength or Brawling with each player choosing which they wish to use. So we are all in agreement on that.

The contest needs some sort of victory condition to keep it from going on forever. IRL wrestling matches usually end when one of the contestants runs out of steam or gets into a submission hold. The later is easy enough to simulate with a submission hold stunt that forces their opponent to make succeed at a Will test or verbally submit and allow themselves to be disarmed or bound. For the former, I was thinking that at the end of each round of grappling the loser of the test might have to make succeed at a Constitution test avoid picking up a point of Fatigue, or alternately, both grapplers might have to make Constitutions test to avoid Fatigue with the loser of the round having the higher target number. However, I don't have enough experience with the game to know if this is a good idea.

I think a grapple-like situation can be created by looking at the opposite of what the "Stand Firm" minor action is. A grapple is a minor action, the player does a Strength (Might) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) test that if successful reduces the cost of a Skirmish or Knock Prone stunt by 2SP. The defender can use stand firm to resist it, otherwise the test is not opposed. The attacking player then is more free to subdue the target and do something else, rather than be forced to struggle. The wrestling situation can be created if both combatants create a cycle of grappling and stand firms, burning both their actions in a turn.
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.