Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Expertise for Interaction Skills

Re: Expertise for Interaction Skills

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Defenses in an array reeks of win-at-all-costs to me. Every time I've seen it, it's either "shift points when out of combat" like the Mystic does or "since my buddy just made a will save, my will defense is now my best defense". I flat don't like it.
    Anyways, with free defenses, you just put those points elsewhere. Say, for the mystic, replace Impervious Protection 12 with Impervious on 11 points of Toughness and 13 points of Will. If a character did have, say, Protection 10 (AE: Flight 5) or what have you, then just make the AE the primary and find somewhere to spend the point from the AE.

If a character was buying most of their defenses through a variable, they were getting the ability to tailor their defenses to the situation at hand. Being able to face off against Mentalon and tell the GM "Yeah, my Will is 20 now" was well worth the overhead. Though the mechanically better way was a dynamic array.
    I don't think I'd greenlight a "variable defense" character in my game, but if I did I'd require they pay based on how much they wanted to be able to shift. Say, have them pick their baseline and pay a PP for each +-1 they wanted to be able to vary from that baseline. Would have to think on how to cost that, since it's so strong against anyone who you can safely guess lacks the ability to target a particular resistance.
    I would say that the cases you mention are problematic because of being able to tailor defenses against specific foes. Disallow that, and there are still some legitimate uses for arrayed defenses and defenses in variables. It can even be a flavorful way to give characters some kind of weakness or vulnerability, since defenses are generally things you want active all the time (as you never know when you'll be attacked).

The Mystic's astral projection is a good example. He is very vulnerable while using it, because it turns off most of his toughness. So if he wants to scout out a hostage situation, he will need his teammates for defense, and if the enemies have a mystic of their own who can detect the spell and knows how it works, they could alert the villains to the opportunity for a counterattack. There's at least the possibility of it being a disadvantage, compared to buying it as a slot of his primary magic array, which is what 99% of builds will do.

Keeper of Secrets

>The Mystic's astral projection is a good example. He is very vulnerable while using it, because it turns off most of his toughness. So if he wants to scout out a hostage situation, he will need his teammates for defense, and if the enemies have a mystic of their own who can detect the spell and knows how it works, they could alert the villains to the opportunity for a counterattack. There's at least the possibility of it being a disadvantage, compared to buying it as a slot of his primary magic array, which is what 99% of builds will do.
    Sure, it turns off his his Dodge, Parry, and Toughness.
    But the situation you propose requires too many components for me to consider it worth a 24 point discount on the Remote Sensing, due to the remote nature of Remote Sensing.

First, the enemy has to be able to tell where the Mystic's body is after detecting him watching them. No power I'm aware of, short of highly specific Limiteds on a Penetrates Concealment, Extended, Acute sense, does this without the enemy already being able to tell the Mystic conked out. And such a specific sense is already tantamount to a "you lose" fiat (a complication, not a drawback!).
    Second, the enemy has to be able to attack the Mystic in such a way that they don't know the attack is coming, despite currently viewing said enemy. This requires Communication, likely Subtle Communication, or a good Bluff.
    Third, the Mystic's allies have to be completely unaware the attack is coming, otherwise they'll rouse the Mystic.
    Fourth, the attack has to be weak enough that the Mystic wouldn't fold to a series of Finishing Blows with his Toughness active, which suggests that the attack won't be a credible threat to the other PCs.
    Fifth, the attack has to be capitalized on in some way to prevent the Mystic from just sleeping the damage off for a few minutes. This generally necessitates either death (no fun for anyone) or something happening at the exact same time as the attack (why's the Mystic not woken up for this?).

This is so highly specific that I can't really justify it being worth 24 points off the Remote Sensing. It could be a dramatic moment, sure, but not a meaningful recurring setback like 24PP of discount should be.

More important though, which I overlooked earlier, is the impact on the player: "You lose, sit out the next hour of game" isn't fun, ever. Arrayed defenses promote such situations: Getting attacked at the wrong time and you just instantly fold is seriously anti-fun. In the case of being so fragile while Remote Sensing, it seems extremely likely for the player to feel unfairly targeted if they are, well, targeted. It's the exact same feeling I have regarding total Power Loss complications that the player didn't propose: You're being told "Stop playing a super-powered character for a while" in a game where you play a super-powered character.

Keeper of Secrets luketheduke86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly-sama View Post
    Off topic, about Growth/Shrinking, honestly those are probably some of the worst powers. Not in effect or cost (well, cost for Shrinking) but as the most poorly built. It probably would have been better to only let it increase or decrees sizes but that size difference has trade offs that are equal and opposite. Being Larger increases all effect powers and toughness but lowers all accuracy and defenses. The opposite would be true for being smaller. It'd make building them much simpler, especially for those who have both, since it doesn't completely alter all caps to add a few ranks of Growth/Shrinking.
    Yea, the modifiers you get currently with Shrinking and Growth makes hitting your caps kind of weird. Currently with Growth your normal sized form needs martial arts level defenses to hit caps while grown.

Keeper of Secrets

Its not hard to do if you only change size in one direction, but if you're doing an Ant Man/Giant Man type who can go both ways, trying to get the numbers to come out is downright painful.