Thread: [2E] Making a literal lightning speedster

Inceptor

[2E] Making a literal lightning speedster

Hello!

Im trying to make a build where the speedster attack does basically 3 things at the same time:

1 - use Speed.

2 - turn Insubstantial 3 (Energy Form: Lightning).

3 - causes damage on contact.

I instantly decided to make all things Linked, but Linked Powers must have the same reach, so Strike (touch) can't be together with Speed and Insubstancial (both personal), or can it?

Also, does the attack needs to be Aura for that, or just a regular Strike?

By the way, this combo of mine (Speed 10 / Insubstantial 3/ Strike 10, Sustained, Aura, Affects Corporeal) would cost 75 points, half of what i have. Am I overdoing it? Is there a cheaper way to make this combo?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Re: [2E] Making a literal lightning speedster

This is basically an Alternate Form with Permanent Insubstantial, Speed, and an Aura Damage attack (Ultimate Power introduced the idea of Alternate Forms themselves having a duration separate from their components). Because they're all part of the Alternate form, and something "Permanent" to that form, they all turn on when the Alternate Form is, whatever action that takes. And yes, if people take damage by touching him, you will need Aura.

As for how to build it more cheaply, if he can't stay in that Energy form, I would say to build it as a Teleport / Line (or perhaps Shapeable) damage with a descriptor that he's turning into energy, moving through the specified area and doing damage, and then solidifying at the other end.
    My Builds

Current games:
    None. Focus issues.

Keeper of Secrets luketheduke86's Avatar

Because of the difference in range and action require I actually believe you shouldn't have them all linked and instead should just have the Flaw:-1 Limited Only Usable While Running apply to both your Strike and Aura.

Also, I thought Affects Corporeal was only needed for effects if you had 4 ranks of Insubstantial? If so then that would save you some points as well.

Inceptor

FuzzyBoots:

Never paid too much attention to Alternate Form, but giving a better look, it fits well with the concept. I think I'll use it with a reduced action to spare more points.

luketheduke86:

I forgot about the limited to running thing, i'll ad it too.

and sadly, you need Affects Corporeal from level 2 of Insubstantial onward, since your STR value turns 0 in those forms. I think it makes sense, since you don't see clouds smashing things too often.

Keeper of Secrets luketheduke86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbarten View Post
    luketheduke86:

I forgot about the limited to running thing, i'll ad it too.

and sadly, you need Affects Corporeal from level 2 of Insubstantial onward, since your STR value turns 0 in those forms. I think it makes sense, since you don't see clouds smashing things too often.
    Does it? I thought it was only needed if you wanted to use your strength score.

Huh, the Ultimate Power book has 2 different definitions. Under the Insubstantial power it says it's needed for Rank 2 or higher, but under the Modifiers section it says it's only needed for Incorporeal beings (Rank 4 Insubstantial). I wonder if there was ever any errata for it?