Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Whats with the Damage/Armor issue?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Whats with the Damage/Armor issue?

Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    And also, the issues of combat pacing and auto hit/fail have been recurring posts for years... like before Set 2 of D-AGE was released. Forum evidence is anecdotal, and not necessarily reminiscent of the player base; however, that is all of the evidence that I am aware of, and it doesn't really seem to be coming from an echo chamber.
    One can always attack, well, anything in this hobby on sampling grounds. But as you say, when its repeated enough and from enough different sources, it at least behooves you to answer the question why it would just, coincidentally, happen to lean in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    My fix was simple: d10s instead of d6s... and then scale everything from there. That got rid of the need for ability advancements -- abilities don't blow the curve. Damage was greatly increased -- even a 1d10 weapon has a chance for doing some damage to heavy plate, whereas 1d6 really doesn't. Pierce Armor is still viable, because I always intended to have defensive focuses.
    Have you tried 3d8 or 3d12 instead of 3d10? Why did you settle on 3d10?

Just curious. I'm tempted to run the game using your 3d10 variant rule but I kinda like the feel for d8s or d12s more than d10s.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by gabeprime View Post
    Have you tried 3d8 or 3d12 instead of 3d10? Why did you settle on 3d10?

Just curious. I'm tempted to run the game using your 3d10 variant rule but I kinda like the feel for d8s or d12s more than d10s.
    I didn't try d8s -- I didn't think the spread would be enough of an increase to justify getting rid of Ability Advancements in favor of staying with the 1:1 ratio. I also didn't try d12s; I thought mainly that d10 was a cleaner system, but d12 would have made a much easier conversion. I didn't give it that much thought before we switched, and didn't really want to switch again. In hindsight, I would have entertained d12 more.

Inceptor

Simple Solution

I use a very simple house rule. With it I don't have to change anything with the underlying system. Everything about it stays exactly the same.

All damage dealt by players (whether from a weapon or spell), is increased by their level up to level 10.

• If you are level 1, you get a +1 to all damage. Level 5 gets a +5, etc.

Once your bonus is +10, your damage goes up by +1 every even level.

• So level 12 your damage is +11, and 14 is +12, etc.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this house rule or not. I gave up reading after page 2. Having to use different dice means having to create custom stunt charts, and some serious overhauling to the system, and most of that just gives me a headache. This rule lets me dig right in, while letting my players feel heroic.

Re: Simple Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Bael the Cruel View Post
    I use a very simple house rule. With it I don't have to change anything with the underlying system. Everything about it stays exactly the same.

All damage dealt by players (whether from a weapon or spell), is increased by their level up to level 10.

• If you are level 1, you get a +1 to all damage. Level 5 gets a +5, etc.

Once your bonus is +10, your damage goes up by +1 every even level.

• So level 12 your damage is +11, and 14 is +12, etc.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this house rule or not. I gave up reading after page 2. Having to use different dice means having to create custom stunt charts, and some serious overhauling to the system, and most of that just gives me a headache. This rule lets me dig right in, while letting my players feel heroic.
    That sounded awesome! I love simple house rules. I'll give that a go. Thanks.

• All damage dealt by players (whether from a weapon or spell), is increased by their level up to level 10.
    • Once your bonus is +10, your damage goes up by +1 every even level.
    This is partly equivalent to what I have mentioned, that is to remove the 1d6 HP bonus at levels 1 through 10. I would completely support this house rule as effective and balanced. 1 Dmg equals 3.5 HP according my analysis, which is why this works for countering the first 10 levels.

The second part though should be designed to counter the other aspect of the HP bloat which is the cumulative Con. I threw together a spreadsheet and found that if you extend your rule such that for all levels 1-20 that this will minimize the bloat for a level 1 character with 25 HP and 2 Con for all levels.

In short, your rule works well against one source of HP bloat and if it is increased to +dmg per level for all levels it will do a fairly decent job at dealing with the second source of HP bloat.

Your method fights HP bloat with Damage bloat, while my style prefers to remove the bloat. Your method leaves characters with no combat specializations (like is easily possible in Blue Rose) with a mysterious source of combat effectiveness.

These methods though don't address armor very well. AR still needs addressing and probably needs a different approach. Based on your method, the character could be presented at the choice of having an additional damage or having additional AR potential. Perhaps that could be addressed in class design. I don't have any recommendations at the moment. I currently just half the AR values from equipment in the rule book.
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.

Keeper of Secrets

Having a static increasing modifier doesn't scale well with the different weapon types. A 2H weapon at level 20 would average 25.5 vs a 1H weapon at 22.

Keeper of Secrets

It's not a serious overhaul. 3d10 just adds a d6 stunt die that just determines SP generated, and it keeps the stunt chart. Or if you went to d12, you just treat 1d12 like a d6 (eg, 1-2 = a 1 on the stunt point chart).