Thread: 'Invisible Chains' queries

'Invisible Chains' queries

I'm intending to run this scenario for my PCs who are Agents of the Inquisition, as it fits quite nicely the War Table mission 'Secure More Lyrium for the Templars' - spoilers for the scenario therefore follow. Three of the PCs are level 4 already, so my first amendment will be too beef up the enemies somewhat.

In fact, I'm also going to make the Carta of the Cadash clan (as per the Dwarf Inquisitor), even though my canon Inquisitor is a human noble. As such, I'm going to substitute Lantos for Kynedrin, who is actually trying to set up a deal with the Inquisition in opposition to the mob boss - the 'Dasher'. That at least explains his own motivation, why the Bleakwatch and Blaen believe (rightly) that he is trying to bypass them, and gives the PCs motivation to keep involving themselves in the adventure - all of which I think are weak points in the scenario as it is written.

I have a couple of queries though - firstly, how do fully armoured henchmen of the Elevated Brotherhood managed to infiltrate the masked ball? It's supposed to be super-secure, so without the benefit of blood magic altering minds, I don't see how they can turn up so easily.

Secondly, how much do we think the lyrium is worth? There seems to be no exact sum mentioned. I'm intending to make it around the 50 gold mark, given that this is the sum involved in DA: Origins when smuggling lyrium becomes an option in Orzammar.

Any other observations or feedback on ways to improve the scenario would be most welcome!

UN Basic Recipient

Re: 'Invisible Chains' queries

Hi,

I have recently re-read the adventure and I simply think they didn't think some points through.

Concerning the Brotherhood, I don't think they really infiltrated the party, they probably just offed some guards and headed right for the cellar. The thing is that even though there is a map of the house, it doesn't show the wine cellar... I would just put it far away from the actual party so that it is possible to get there unnoticed by guests. Guards would be probably concentrated around the ballroom so a fairly small group could manage to get to the cellar quickly.

Worth of lyrium - no idea but I would stick with those 50 GP. If the party manages to get their hands on it and try to sell it, you can always give them less - they don't have the contacts and are probably new in the business etc.

I think there are other issues in the adventure, especially the dwarves being complete idiots to come anywhere close of Halamshiral in the first place. I don't even know what their plan was, they wanted to cut the elves out of the deal but they don't know Blaen so... where would they sell it? And if they know about him, there is no point in ever involving the elves. But these are minor things, nothing comparable with the pure insanity of A Bann Too Many :-D

Re: 'Invisible Chains' queries

Quote Originally Posted by Eygam View Post
    I think there are other issues in the adventure, especially the dwarves being complete idiots to come anywhere close of Halamshiral in the first place. I don't even know what their plan was, they wanted to cut the elves out of the deal but they don't know Blaen so... where would they sell it? And if they know about him, there is no point in ever involving the elves. But these are minor things, nothing comparable with the pure insanity of A Bann Too Many :-D
    I completely agree with you regarding this - my modification to make the Carta Dwarves want to cut out the Elves to sell to the Inquisition actually improves the plot, I think.

I have to say that the plot devices and motivations of some NPCs, in some of the scenarios (including A Bann Too Many, of course) are not very strong. Some of the 'hooks' to get PCs involved and maintain their interest, could also be improved.
    Last edited by Parsival; 12-01-2017 at 12:53 AM.