Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a sapient sword character

Re: Making a sapient sword character

Quote Originally Posted by Rubygoldsilver View Post
    So any help with that fourth wall thing. The charecter will probaly be aware they are in a tabletop rpg and can read the chat and stuff
    There is an official build of a 4th-wall breaking character. DC's own Ambush Bug has basically two powers - awareness that he's in a DC comic and extreme teleportation. The only things on his sheet that speak to the 4th-walledness are Continuity Awareness (1p), Luck Control to Negate use of Luck or GM-imposed Complications (3p), Expertise: DC Comics +18 (Int 1 +17 skill ranks), and a Copy of DC Adventures Hero’s Handbook as equipment. It's not specifically laid out (it rarely is), but his DC skill combined with Well-Informed would be an excellent way for him to recognize any DC character, group, or point of interest and probably know some of its background on first contact.

Overall, that costs 10-15p and could easily be less. The rest is mostly play-style. 4th-wall characters are usually played for comedy, which I recommend. One thing that comes up in all kinds of fiction is when characters have to do something that any outsider can see is stupid or dangerous, but they do it anyway for hopefully in-character reasons but ultimately just to move the story forward; as a simple example, think every horror movie ever where someone goes alone into the dark. Players occasionally see this and need to either roleplay into the danger or have the GM railroad them into not doing the smart or safe things; a fun 4W PC will KNOW it's dangerous and KNOW that's where all the cool stuff is and rush forward into danger at top speed.

Other 4W powers will vary depending on what you want. Ambush Bug had Teleportation which is a great way to literally move between scenes; I'm sure I saw She-Hulk using a version of this by running between frames in one of her comics. Deadpool style Healing Factors made with Regen and/or Immortality aren't strictly necessary, but handy for 4Ws who don't like to be concerned with the consequences of making lethal mistakes.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Inceptor

Well I suppose you could play them more seriously which seems like a intresting recipe for an existential crisis.

So any help with that fourth wall thing. The charecter will probaly be aware they are in a tabletop rpg and can read the chat and stuff
    There is an entire subgenre of literature (primarily fantasy) called "LitRPG" which involve a character being able to manipulate the world as if they were in an RPG. Even the most minor of powers, being able to read someone's stats, is incredibly useful, and would probably involve a fair amount of ranks in various forms of Detect. The next most common ability, being able to see special abilities and grind for skill points by repeating tasks or defeating monsters, is really pretty central to the system itself, so it's just descriptor that your guy who can heft 800 lbs over his head when he was barely able to lift 50 the week before did so by repeatedly lifting a small weight, and applying food items to instantly fix his fatigue and small muscle tear damage. In general, everyone progresses more or less in lockstep, so your guy wouldn't actually be advancing any faster.

Hmm... probably the Detect powers to see precise stats (analytical so as to see HP counts), and Healing with a quirk of needing food items, will cover a fair amount of it. If you're going the direction of something like The Gamer, they might have Fearless to represent Gamer's Mind, the detachment from knowing your life is an elaborate RPG, so nothing can really frighten you too much.
    My Builds

Current games:
    None. Focus issues.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    they might have Fearless to represent Gamer's Mind, the detachment from knowing your life is an elaborate RPG, so nothing can really frighten you too much.
    Well unless knowing you are fiction causes some sort of existential crisis.

Well unless knowing you are fiction causes some sort of existential crisis.
    {nods} Take, for example The Master Assassin, lead of the Character Assassins in the Magellanverse. Of course, most people just figure he's loony.
    My Builds

Current games:
    None. Focus issues.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    {nods} Take, for example The Master Assassin, lead of the Character Assassins in the Magellanverse. Of course, most people just figure he's loony.
    You know this is kind of cosmic horror stuff when you think about it.

incidentally, this thread inspired me to create Blackblade, a fully playable sapient sword based on the Star Dragon Sword from the Suikoden JRPG series

Literally my favourite game series.
    "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.