Thread: lood Magic Inquiry

lood Magic Inquiry

Hey all. I had an inquiry for any who are interested…

I am planning a campaign continuation (it was originally my sister-in-law’s from when we played the True20 version of Blue Rose) and I was thinking of adding in the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts. The way I am going to do this is that they are considered to be Shadowspawn for the purpose of continuity.

There is a sorcerer who discovers a long-lost secret form of magic, Blood Magic (Borrowed from Dragon Age). In his attempts to unlock the secrets of the soul, he creates these shadow beings from the corruption and darkness in people’s hearts, forming what he calls “Heartless”.

My inquiry here is not about the Heartless themselves, maybe later, but as to how I add in Blood Magic as Arcana for Blue Rose. So my idea for his Talent is this:

BLOOD MAGIC:
    Entering Blood Magic is Sorcery at its darkest and all spells associated with it require a corruption Test.
    NOVICE: As a Minor Action, you can enter “Blood Mage Mode”. Only in this mode can you activate Blood Magic Arcana. Also, Healing is half as effective on you unless it is caused by the Drain Life Spell. At Novice Rank you learn the following Spells: Drain Life and Hemorrhage.
    JOURNEYMAN: while in “Blood Mage Mode”, you can inflict 1d6 penetrating damage on yourself to add half of that roll (Rounded down) to either Spellpower or the Casting Roll for your next spell. You also gain the following Spells: Tainted Weapon and Dark Passage.
    MASTER: while in “Blood Mage Mode” and someone dies within 10 yards of you, you instantly regain 2d6+their Constitution in health. You also gain these last two spells: Bloodlust and Sacrifice.

SPELLS: here are what the spells do:
    DRAIN LIFE:
    Talent: Blood Magic
    Time: Major
    TN: Opposed
    Test: Constitution (Blood)
    Resistance: Willpower (Self-Discipline)
    Fatigue: 17 minus your Constitution
    Effect: you select one target and drain their life force directly. You deal 1d6+Willpower Penetrating Damage and regain the amount you deal them for. A passed test halves the total damage taken

HEMORRHAGE:
    Resistance: Constitution (Stamina)
    Fatigue: 13
    Effect: you select one target and attack them indirectly. You cause their own blood to boil and leak from open wounds. They take 1d6 penetrating damage each turn for 4 rounds. passing the Test reduces it to piercing.

TAINTED WEAPON:
    TN: 13
    Resistance: None
    Fatigue: None
    Effect: you deal 1d6 penetrating damage to yourself. Then you add half the number rolled rounded down to damage to one weapon for 4 rounds. you can only use this spell once per encounter.

DARK PASSAGE:
    Effect: you deal 1d6 penetrating damage to yourself and add half that number rounded down to your speed. This lasts for the remainder of the encounter and thus cannot be used more than once.

BLOODLUST:
    TN: 15
    Fatigue: 15
    Effect: select one target on the field. If you damage them with any Blood Spell, they suffer an additional 1d6 of damage. This lasts for 4 rounds or until the target is dead. You can select a new target as a Minor Action but cannot have more than one target selected at a time.

SACRIFICE:
    Fatigue: 17
    Effect: you select one target and drain their life force directly. You inflict 2d6+Willpower Penetrating damage to one target and deal the same amount rolled to another, creating a link between them and damaging both targets. If the first target passes the Test, then all damage received is halved.

The idea is that this sorcerer faces the party 4 times, each time gaining new powers of blood after the first encounter. what do you all think, is it too powerful or not enough? what do you think i should change or be rid of? was it good or no? thanks and have a great day.

Inceptor

Re: lood Magic Inquiry

Having played Dragon Age and Kingdom Hearts, I love the idea. Incoporating Blood Magic into the world of Aldea as another form of sorcery makes me giggle at the fear I can bring to my players.

I like your conversion as a start, but I have a few comments:
    • I think this would be more fun as a Specialization than a Talent. To me, knowing something so ancient and secret should be a defining quality of a person and I think a Specialization would fit that better than a Talent.
    • ‎I'm not a fan of tying specific arcana to specific ranks. FAGE did it that way, and I don't really like it. Not sure if DAGE (I don't have the book) was the same. I like Blue Rose's arcana system because I can take a talent in Psychic and I can choose whatever 2 Psychic arcana I want (except Novice Rank).
    • ‎Taking random damage to get a random modifier is not nearly as fun. I like having a choice in the matter. "I really need this to happen, so I'll take 6 damage to gain a +3 bonus."
    • ‎Also, 1d6 Health for up to a +3 bonus seems a bit too strong especially since a Blood Mage is likely to stack Constitution.
    • ‎Blue Rose doesn't use Spellpower. Rather, their Spellpower is tied to the Casting Roll. Replacing it with a fatigue test works.
    • ‎The Master talent seems a little strong. Gaining 2d6 + their CON in health seems much especially since you can use Drain Life to kill something to gain health then gain more health from the Master rank. I'm imagining your Blood Mage being surrounded by a dozen Heartless... so that's a lot of healing.

Here's how I would tackle Blood Magic:

Specialization. Blood Sorcerer
    Class: Any
    Requires: Con 2+, Sorcery Lore focus, and 1 Sorcery arcanum.

Novice. With an Activate action, you can enter Blood Magic mode. While in this mode, you gain the benefits of the Stamina elixir.* While in Blood Magic mode, you suffer 1d6 penetrating damage at the end of each of your turns. Entering Blood Magic mode is a corrupt act.

Journeyman. While in Blood Magic mode, you may gain a bonus up to your Constitution or Corruption score (whichever is higher) on your Casting Roll, or Fatigue Test** (distributed however you wish). For every bonus point gained this way, you suffer 1d6 penetrating damage. You may use this benefit after you made your Casting Roll or Fatigue test.

Master. While in Blood Magic mode, you may gain Stunt Points up to your Constitution or Corruption score (whichever is higher). For each Stunt Point gained this way, you suffer 1d6 penetrating damage. You may use this benefit after you rolled for Stunt Points.
    * Stamima Elixir allows you to ignore the penalties of Fatigue. However, when it ends, you suffer all of it at once. If it would knock you unconscious, excess fatigue is converted to 2d6 penetrating damage. As in, you may die outright if you accumulate a lot of fatigue.

*‎* You can add more benefits here to fit a non-casting type of Blood Sorcerer like Attack Rolls or Damage Rolls.

The idea is high risk high reward. Power comes with a price and that price will bring you closer to death.

No new spells are added, which means you can use the existing ones in the book. It's also flexible enough to be used with any arcanum.

It's also flexible enough (roleplay-wise) that it can be used for good or as a tool of temptation. For example, the players give the sorcerer a chance to redeem themselves. Or, the player was once on a dark path, but struggles to redeem themselves. One example is a person of low self-esteem believing that they are nothing without Blood Magic.

Other ideas
    • Borrow the effects of Stimulation Elixir while in Blood Magic mode then modify the arcana.
    • ‎For example, while in Blood Magic mode, you may use the Draw Vitality arcanum on anyone within line of sight (normally, it is touch distance). In addition, you may gain 2d6 health instead of recovering 1 Fatigue while using Draw Vitality. In addition to some healing, force-fatiguing enemies at a distance is a huge advantage.
    • ‎Or.. gain Psychic Domination, it now requires Concentration instead of Total Concentration.
    • ‎Or.. gain Harm / Sorcerer's Grip arcanum and it costs 0 SP to use the Split Arcana stunt.
    • ‎You can also replace the 1d6 with a 1d3 if you feel that it is too much of cost. I think 1d6 is pretty fair though. If it is for an enemy only, simply add more Health to make up for it.
    • ‎Remove the Constition/Corruption limits if a player has access to this Specialization. If they want to kill themselves doing something, let them. Blood Magic has its dangers, and they know it.
    • ‎For roleplay, you can also tie the Blood Magic specialization to a pact with the shadowspawn (Gravicarius maybe?). Or just anybody has the potential, they just don't know about it (arcana forbidden so much that even knowledge of it is carefully regulated).

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
    Having played Dragon Age and Kingdom Hearts, I love the idea. Incoporating Blood Magic into the world of Aldea as another form of sorcery makes me giggle at the fear I can bring to my players.

I like your conversion as a start, but I have a few comments:
    • I think this would be more fun as a Specialization than a Talent. To me, knowing something so ancient and secret should be a defining quality of a person and I think a Specialization would fit that better than a Talent.
    • ‎I'm not a fan of tying specific arcana to specific ranks. FAGE did it that way, and I don't really like it. Not sure if DAGE (I don't have the book) was the same. I like Blue Rose's arcana system because I can take a talent in Psychic and I can choose whatever 2 Psychic arcana I want (except Novice Rank).
    • ‎Taking random damage to get a random modifier is not nearly as fun. I like having a choice in the matter. "I really need this to happen, so I'll take 6 damage to gain a +3 bonus."
    • ‎Also, 1d6 Health for up to a +3 bonus seems a bit too strong especially since a Blood Mage is likely to stack Constitution.
    • ‎Blue Rose doesn't use Spellpower. Rather, their Spellpower is tied to the Casting Roll. Replacing it with a fatigue test works.
    • ‎The Master talent seems a little strong. Gaining 2d6 + their CON in health seems much especially since you can use Drain Life to kill something to gain health then gain more health from the Master rank. I'm imagining your Blood Mage being surrounded by a dozen Heartless... so that's a lot of healing.

Here's how I would tackle Blood Magic:

* Stamima Elixir allows you to ignore the penalties of Fatigue. However, when it ends, you suffer all of it at once. If it would knock you unconscious, excess fatigue is converted to 2d6 penetrating damage. As in, you may die outright if you accumulate a lot of fatigue.

*‎* You can add more benefits here to fit a non-casting type of Blood Sorcerer like Attack Rolls or Damage Rolls.

The idea is high risk high reward. Power comes with a price and that price will bring you closer to death.

No new spells are added, which means you can use the existing ones in the book. It's also flexible enough to be used with any arcanum.

It's also flexible enough (roleplay-wise) that it can be used for good or as a tool of temptation. For example, the players give the sorcerer a chance to redeem themselves. Or, the player was once on a dark path, but struggles to redeem themselves. One example is a person of low self-esteem believing that they are nothing without Blood Magic.

Other ideas
    • Borrow the effects of Stimulation Elixir while in Blood Magic mode then modify the arcana.
    • ‎For example, while in Blood Magic mode, you may use the Draw Vitality arcanum on anyone within line of sight (normally, it is touch distance). In addition, you may gain 2d6 health instead of recovering 1 Fatigue while using Draw Vitality. In addition to some healing, force-fatiguing enemies at a distance is a huge advantage.
    • ‎Or.. gain Psychic Domination, it now requires Concentration instead of Total Concentration.
    • ‎Or.. gain Harm / Sorcerer's Grip arcanum and it costs 0 SP to use the Split Arcana stunt.
    • ‎You can also replace the 1d6 with a 1d3 if you feel that it is too much of cost. I think 1d6 is pretty fair though. If it is for an enemy only, simply add more Health to make up for it.
    • ‎Remove the Constition/Corruption limits if a player has access to this Specialization. If they want to kill themselves doing something, let them. Blood Magic has its dangers, and they know it.
    • ‎For roleplay, you can also tie the Blood Magic specialization to a pact with the shadowspawn (Gravicarius maybe?). Or just anybody has the potential, they just don't know about it (arcana forbidden so much that even knowledge of it is carefully regulated).
    these seem like better ideas. thanks. i shall start adaption it. this is going to be very helpful in my endevour. thanks again and have a great day.

*Blood Magic Inquiry*

Here is my thoughts of the blood magic. I used your spell descriptions and my spell model to craft (IMO) more appropriate TNs
    • Drain Life : TN13 (way less than your 17 because its not that strong)
    • Hemorrhage : TN 15 (the passive effect should cost more than TN13)
    • Tainted Weapon : TN10, you get the whole effect (not halved) for the rest of the encounter. This spell without self damage should be TN13. Adding the self damage I reduced the TN until the MP cost rose to 3.7 (about 1d6 self damage worth).
    • Dark Passage : TN10, you get the whole effect (not halved) for the rest of the encounter. You gain 2 speed for each HP sacrificed. Like Tainted Weapon this spell would normally cost 0 MP at a TN13. Reducing the TN to 10 counter balances the lost HP.
    • Blood Lust : TN 15. Lasts the remainder of the encounter, can switch targets with a free action (because the passive effect is accounted for the whole encounter).
    • Sacrifice : TN 13. With the chance to resist, 2*2d6 penetrating damage only has a value of 11 (4*3.5/2+4*2) thus isn't as costly as a TN 15 spell can support. You could actually make the spell 8d6 for each target and then it would cost TN15.

That was a fun exercise using the spell model. I think you will find these adjustments a little more fair. I haven't figured out how fatigue works with the spell model yet, but it may turn out similar to how I dealt with the sacrifice damage. Non fatigue spells may cost full TN, while fatigue inducing spells have reduced TN.
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.

alrighty so i have been thinking this over. i want to stick with my new Spells but i like the Specialization version better in terms of effects. so:

Specialization. Blood Sorcerer
    Class: Any
    Requires: Con 2+, Sorcery Lore focus, and 1 Sorcery arcanum.

Novice. With an Activate action, you can enter Blood Magic mode. While in this mode, you gain the benefits of the Stamina elixir.* While in Blood Magic mode, you suffer 1d6 penetrating damage at the end of each of your turns. Entering Blood Magic mode is a corrupt act.

Journeyman. While in Blood Magic mode, you may gain a bonus up to your Constitution or Corruption score (whichever is higher) on your Casting Roll, or Fatigue Test** (distributed however you wish). For every bonus point gained this way, you suffer 1d6 penetrating damage. You may use this benefit after you made your Casting Roll or Fatigue test.

Master. While in Blood Magic mode, you may gain Stunt Points up to your Constitution or Corruption score (whichever is higher). For each Stunt Point gained this way, you suffer 1d6 penetrating damage. You may use this benefit after you rolled for Stunt Points.
    at the Novice , Journeyman and Master levels you gain the spells (the first 2 for Novice, the second 2 for Journeyman and the last 2 for Master:

SPELLS: here are what the spells do:
    DRAIN LIFE:
    Fatigue: 17 minus your Constitution
    Effect: you select one target and drain their life force directly. You deal 1d6+Willpower Penetrating Damage and regain the amount you deal them for. A passed test halves the total damage taken

HEMORRHAGE:
    Resistance: Constitution (Stamina)
    Fatigue: 13
    Effect: you select one target and attack them indirectly. You cause their own blood to boil and leak from open wounds. They take 1d6 penetrating damage each turn for 4 rounds. passing the Test reduces it to piercing.

TAINTED WEAPON:
    Effect: you deal 1d6 penetrating damage to yourself. Then you add half the number rolled rounded down to damage to one weapon for 4 rounds. you can only use this spell once per encounter.

DARK PASSAGE:
    Effect: you deal 1d6 penetrating damage to yourself and add half that number rounded down to your speed. This lasts for the remainder of the encounter and thus cannot be used more than once.

BLOODLUST:
    TN: 15
    Fatigue: 15
    Effect: select one target on the field. If you damage them with any Blood Spell, they suffer an additional 1d6 of damage. This lasts for 4 rounds or until the target is dead. You can select a new target as a Minor Action but cannot have more than one target selected at a time.

SACRIFICE:
    Fatigue: 17
    Effect: you select one target and drain their life force directly. You inflict 2d6+Willpower Penetrating damage to one target and deal the same amount rolled to another, creating a link between them and damaging both targets. If the first target passes the Test, then all damage received is halved.
    Lastly, taking the TN idea into account:
    Drain Life : TN13 (way less than your 17 because its not that strong)
    Hemorrhage : TN 15 (the passive effect should cost more than TN13)
    Tainted Weapon : TN10, you get the whole effect (not halved) for the rest of the encounter. This spell without self damage should be TN13. Adding the self damage I reduced the TN until the MP cost rose to 3.7 (about 1d6 self damage worth).
    Dark Passage : TN10, you get the whole effect (not halved) for the rest of the encounter. You gain 2 speed for each HP sacrificed. Like Tainted Weapon this spell would normally cost 0 MP at a TN13. Reducing the TN to 10 counter balances the lost HP.
    Blood Lust : TN 15. Lasts the remainder of the encounter, can switch targets with a free action (because the passive effect is accounted for the whole encounter).
    Sacrifice : TN 13. With the chance to resist, 2*2d6 penetrating damage only has a value of 11 (4*3.5/2+4*2) thus isn't as costly as a TN 15 spell can support. You could actually make the spell 8d6 for each target and then it would cost TN15.
    these 3 ideas combined shall make for a much better villain. i do not want my players doing this simply because it is so dangerous, but the sorcerer i have in mind will use these against the party along with summoning hordes of heartless .

thanks for the ideas guys, it really helped me out.