Thread: ICONS Origins

Inceptor

ICONS Origins

Not anything mega-new on my part, but just wanted to note that I got the Hotmail notice about this from Ad Infinitum and made a prompt order for the hardcover. Looking over the PDF now and enjoying very much the new options being offered, and also seeing some of the M&M 2E archetypes translated over to the ICONS system. Looking forward much to Messers Kenson and Houser et al developments and new modules.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: ICONS Origins

I'll probably pick this up at some point just to see what they did with making a more robust build system for it.

Keeper of Secrets

Ordered the hardcover version of this saturday.

Keeper of Secrets

Icons Origins arrived just a few minutes ago. I have it in my hands.

I'm in happy mode. It gives the expanded point based character creation I was looking for.

However. I will not be using the Secondary Power option for my own uses. I see it as bringing needless additional complication to a game that doesn't need it.

Inceptor

I bought this in November and LOVE it also. The additional character design notes came in really handy for creating characters that had multiple powers from one device or source while not having to spending several dozen points (e.g. Green Lantern's Power Ring). The art is great as always and helps set the tone for the type of campaign I run for the players. The players, especially new ones who are playing an RPG for the first time, feel very at ease with Icons Assembled Edition and enjoyed playing it over rules-heavy games like Champions.

Inceptor

Agreed to all of your above points, fdw3773. Of special note was your last item, regarding Champions; while I can only claim the slightest introduction to the name itself and the game engine as a whole, what I have seen and experienced leads to what I call the "F16 Curse". The Soviet-era MIGs were never any great engineering achievement; they were designed to do two things: Fly real fast and shoot. This wasn't out of any management/concept genius or the like; it was because the Soviet-era bosses wanted things to cost as little as possible. The F16s, on the other hand, were so overloaded with options that the U.S. pilots were unable to make use of all the equipment available to them. The MIGs did as well as they did because the pilots could do only two things, and therefore were concerned with two things only: Flying real fast and shooting. The Champions system stands as an exemplar of game engines that, much like d20, are drowning in their own possibilities, which have become so numerous that they end up contradicting each other on occasion, and, most importantly, slow the game down to the point where it becomes a forensic accounting exercise. ICONS stands as a triumph for Steve Kenson and his collaborators, utilizing a system simple enough to move along at a pace that remains...uh, what's the word...yeah, fun, while having enough stuff on the side to spice things up for those who want it. Looking forward to more items fort the game as we continue on into 2018.

Inceptor

The F-16/MiG aircraft comparison is an interesting and surprisingly accurate metaphor to describe where Champions is at with players and GMs, Black Talon. As a reference point, my personal experience with Champions started with 3rd Edition while in high school in the late 1980s/early 1990s and I owned 4th, 5th, and more recently 6th Edition over the span of two decades, with all of the rules additions and details that went along with them.

It was when I had to create a one to two page handout to explain what everything meant on a Champions character sheet to new players for 6th Edition (Champions Complete) that I realized how cumbersome the rules had become. This was even after I simplified a lot of mechanics to keep the game flow going at a good pace. Hence, when Icons first came out, it was a huge breath of fresh air for me as a GM and Icons Assembled Edition proved even better with the revisions and first-rate hard-cover publication. Icons Origins has proven to be a great supplement.

I noticed that when I run superhero RPGs at the game conventions, the Champions players have been typically those who have been playing it on and off for 15+ years and enjoy the nostalgia since it has been around so long. By contrast, those that show up to play Icons have often been younger and newer players who want to try out RPGs for the first time. The rules-light mechanics in Icons have really paid off for introducing RPGs to them.

Inceptor

Thank you for the reply on this, fdw3773. Regarding the F-16/MiG comparison, I have to give the basis of my knowledge on the subject to a friend of mine, who worked for the Canadian Department of National Defense (and yes, he was perfectly aware as to what the DND initials could be taken as, and why some other guys and I snickered when he mentioned it) during and just after his undergrad; as I recall, he told me about the situation well over twenty years ago while we were watching - yeah, big surprise - Top Gun. The understanding of what had happened, and why, stuck with me over the ensuing decades, and have come to be applied to the RPing situation, especially as my gaming group and I tried to work with WotC's D&D 3.0-3.5 and Decipher's gawdforsaken, half-hearted attempt at Star Trek. Since then, I've applied the F-16 Curse to a number of considerably sub-standard entries into the genre, and was fricking overjoyed when I looked over the first ICONS book and realized that there was something here that could be worked with and built into a substantive game world that would not have to be festooned with house rules.

In any case, really hoping that this is the initiation of some seriously substantive discussions on the game, clearing up the occasional blur on how-does-this-rule-work, and exchanging a few ideas and/or game sessions that had some enlightening/frightening/generally fun moments.