Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Xenoforce: C.2: Meeting the neighbors

Keeper of Secrets Doctor Malsyn's Avatar

Re: Xenoforce: C.2: Meeting the neighbors

The Forest

As a group, the trio come to the agreement that it's for the best if they return to the others back at the caves. The mist has grown to thick, the sun is hanging lower and lower, and the temperature is continuing to drop by the hour. Further pursuit of the injured prisoner would best be resumed with a full and fresh group, fully prepped for the journey ahead. Gaar'o, fighting off a chill that crawls down his spine, makes one final mark in the nearby trees in order to pick up where they left off the following morning.

The following hours grow long and dull while the return trip is undertaken, with everyone trying their best to stick to their clearly marked path. Despite this, twice Loves finds himself leading the group off the trail as the fog clings to his mask's faceplate. His mistakes are discovered before the become hopelessly lost, but it only serves to drive home just how awful an idea it may've been to stick around for longer. With none of them having any form of night adaption, the darkness is almost guaranteed to have led them even further astray even under the light of a now waning moon.

Howling is heard in the distance, close enough that Loves is easily capable of reliving the recent trauma he underwent. With everyone bunched together as a group however, the feral beasts have for now decided it wasn't worth the risk. Though that didn't stop the trio from spotting the feint glimmer of moonlit eyes watching them from foreboding wood, waiting at any moment for a sign of weakness to exploit. Gaar'o is able to repress his shivering during the journey back, his tough hide helping to insulate him the cold night air.

It's to everyone's relief that they spot a small glimmer of light through the trees. Following the light they finally break through to spy Diona standing vigilante though holding a makeshift torch in one hand. Upon seeing you return at last, the Nicodian woman at once leaps down and presses herself against Ashani, giving the Sthyss a one-handed though warm welcoming hug, smiling wide once finished and stepping back. "I'm glad you've returned darlings, I was starting to get worried. It's a good thing I kept the lights on for all of you."

With your return, the torch in her hand is doused with a splash of water, and stored somewhere within her uniform for later. You all normally kept things dark at the entrance to reduce risk of being spotted, so it's with a great kindness that the officer felt it best to take the risk and try to guide you back through the woods as well as she could. "The Overseer and Xarvalis have been very enthralled with the work they've been doing, something I'm sure will help all of you immensely in your journey. They're waiting for you inside, so please, do go on ahead. I'll be out here if you need me of course."

Inside the Caverns

"Hey Cher'Shar, you want a commlink too?"
    The pirate had shown little interest at first in your strange activities, though you've noticed him pop in from time to time just to see what progress has been made. Whatever else he was doing was anyone's guess, perhaps exploring the caves further, or scouting the local area for anything to distract him in his bored state. The Saurian's question however made him smile with devilish amusement. "Already snatched one on my way out of the ship," he informs, holding up two fingers that now held one of the many Dots employed by Redemption's staff. "Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts."

It's at somepoint in the night by now, but everything the two aliens had been working on now sat atop the workbench proudly. While Griklik's raw knowledge of mechanics was certainly a big help, it was Xarvalis' imaginative and practical mind which shaped that knowledge into something truly impressive for something built in a cave with limited resources. It was a stroke of luck that he actually managed to isolate a feint signal from a satellite which happened to be in local orbit. The image was obviously degraded and overlayed with text in what must've been the native language, but after some tweaking it became a very serviceable GPS device. He could even see the green dots within their apparently large mountain which signified the few commlinks he had available to sync.

While admiring your work, you both hear voices trailing from the tunnel leading towards the cave's only known entrypoint.
    Last edited by Doctor Malsyn; 02-19-2018 at 03:55 AM.
    I'm a doctor of literature, clearly.

My art thread!

Re: Xenoforce: C.2: Meeting the neighbors

Ashani
    HP: 1
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Malsyn View Post
    The following hours grow long and dull while the return trip is undertaken, with everyone trying their best to stick to their clearly marked path. Despite this, twice Loves finds himself leading the group off the trail as the fog clings to his mask's faceplate. His mistakes are discovered before the become hopelessly lost, but it only serves to drive home just how awful an idea it may've been to stick around for longer. With none of them having any form of night adaption, the darkness is almost guaranteed to have led them even further astray even under the light of a now waning moon.
    "You know, if it was just me, I'd sleep up in a tree until morning." Ashani says in a vain attempt to make conversation. "But if we don't find our way back soon, we all might have to sleep out here."

Howling is heard in the distance, close enough that Loves is easily capable of reliving the recent trauma he underwent. With everyone bunched together as a group however, the feral beasts have for now decided it wasn't worth the risk. Though that didn't stop the trio from spotting the feint glimmer of moonlit eyes watching them from foreboding wood, waiting at any moment for a sign of weakness to exploit.
    The Sthyss looks predators stalking them and licks her lips. "I kinda wish they'd try to attack - they'd make a filling meal if they did.~"

It's to everyone's relief that they spot a small glimmer of light through the trees. Following the light they finally break through to spy Diona standing vigilante though holding a makeshift torch in one hand. Upon seeing you return at last, the Nicodian woman at once leaps down and presses herself against Ashani, giving the Sthyss a one-handed though warm welcoming hug, smiling wide once finished and stepping back. "I'm glad you've returned darlings, I was starting to get worried. It's a good thing I kept the lights on for all of you."
    Ashani jerks her head back and her head-tendrils writhe in surprise at the unexpected hug. Nevertheless, she reciprocates the embrace.
    "Thanks, Diona! We probably wouldn't have found our way back until tomorrow if it wasn't for you.~" The Sthyss responds as her head-tendrils dance amicably.

With your return, the torch in her hand is doused with a splash of water, and stored somewhere within her uniform for later. You all normally kept things dark at the entrance to reduce risk of being spotted, so it's with a great kindness that the officer felt it best to take the risk and try to guide you back through the woods as well as she could. "The Overseer and Xarvalis have been very enthralled with the work they've been doing, something I'm sure will help all of you immensely in your journey. They're waiting for you inside, so please, do go on ahead. I'll be out here if you need me of course."
    "Oh really? Now you've got me all curious" Ashani replies as her head-tendrils wriggle in curiosity. She then gestures to Gaar'o and Loves to follow. "Come on, guys! Let's see what they've been up to!"
    As she slithers towards the cave entrance, the Sthyss twists her body around to look at Diona. "See you later~"

While admiring your work, you both hear voices trailing from the tunnel leading towards the cave's only known entrypoint.
    "Hi, guys!~" Ashani greets everyone in the cave. "Sorry for being gone longer than expected, but we kinda ended up going on a little adventure and found some signs of the lady who used to live here. We also found something else you might be interested in."
    With that, the Sthyss turns to look at Gaar'o with her unblinking eyes and toothy grin, as her head-tendrils wriggle expectantly.