Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Houserules feedback

Inceptor

Re: Houserules feedback

Quote Originally Posted by VladGenX View Post
    To be honest, i never thought of Fortitude as a Defense but i did add it as a Focus under CON and the Focus is used to resist the effects of Poisons. so i do have it but in a different form. thanks for the feedback though. have a good day.
    Mutants & Masterminds is one of the few games where I've had both an amazing game of it, and a horrible railroaded no Hero Points game, and so it sticks out in my mind. Plus Fortitude as a defence does work, at the end of the day if it's a roll or defence may simply depend on if you want 'the players roll as much as possible'. You're welcome though, it's always best when people can have a discussion without telling the other side that they're wrong.

I mean, I was also considering having rolled defences, but at the end of the day it's an additional roll for no benefit (unless I give the NPCs a static attack value).

Keeper of Secrets

First, I give a bonus focus at chargen. It cannot be a weapon focus, a magic focus (we play D-AGE), or a tax (Stamina, Self-Discipline, etc.). I would not go with staggering the focuses to 1,1,1 -- the taxes would take up all of the focuses and a focus wouldn't give a significant bump in a field.

I also wouldn't switch +Attack to DEX. The weaknesses of doing so were mentioned above, but additionally it weakens the value of rogues' Pinpoint Attack. If everyone is pumping DEX, rogues would be forced to do so more so. Neither would I make Defense an actively rolled stat. Stunts are the primary method of damaging, and that would play havoc with the stunt system. Players would have to pay attention to failed rolls more and enemy SP would favor the low side -- a 5 or 6 SP roll would more likely be successful.

As for Fighting and Accuracy, I loathe their inclusion. Fighting is a stupid name. Other than that, both stats are only used in one aspect of combat and combat alone. So investing in FIG/ACC delays every other stat/growth. I'm still using the D-AGE method, which isn't without flaws, but I think is superior to FIG/ACC.

If I were to start over, and this is neither a perfect nor tested method, I'd make +Attack a derived stat. For melee/thrown weapons, I'd say +Attack was the average of STR, DEX, and PER rounded down. For ranged, it'd be the average of DEX and PER rounded down.

It's not perfect. There would be division, and sometimes you wouldn't see an increase. However AGE already has those with Ability Advancements. Additionally, it'd give you more options for growth -- the lean, agile swordsman would see growth as much as the slow meathead. Finally, in contrast to both F-AGE and D-AGE, it would slow +Attack progression in relation to +Defense without coming to either redundancy or standstill.

Addressing some of Shonuff's comments:
    • Defensive taxes suck. Opposed tests can be replaced with the attack roll with little consequence. Opposed rolls only have a greater variance but an equal long run average to the attack roll. Defender TN is 10 + Stat (no focuses)
    • Dex is a good candidate to base an attack roll because of defense. Changing dex affects the hit roll TN. Why complicate it by making an offensive dex stat and a defensive dex stat. Using dex will be the simplest.
    • The DAGE method in another post I had said is preferable because it allows the player to naturally follow an optimal value path for combat statistics. Your point about derived stats I think is interesting because it could do the same for FAGE but we flip +attack for +damage (+value)
    • Making +attack the derived stat would make it way to difficult to progress on the optimal value path. Instead make damage the derived stat. All physical damage could be weapon roll + Strength + Perception. Rogue pin point can be switched to perception.
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.

Keeper of Secrets

Taxes are baked into the system regardless if you're playing RAW or switching to opposed rolls. And the +2 modifier allows you more freedom without having to dump all of your points into the stats. Need more for a CON (Stamina) roll? The Stamina focus gives +2 so the stat point can go somewhere else. Weaken focuses, and the defensive stats will just need to be pumped more.

You get 20ish focuses and Stamina, Self-Discipline, and to a lesser extent Acrobatics are pretty much required. Toss in a melee and a ranged weapon, and that's 15 focuses right there if all are +1.

As for the complexity of deriving the +Attack stat, yeah it's more complex. But imo the benefits outweigh the added complexity. First, it's not terribly complex. Second, it maintains progression without solely devoting to one roll. Third, it slows +Attack preventing auto-hit/fail to be as much of an issue.

A 6 DEX (focus +3) character under a 1 stat rule would have +9 Attack, 16 Def. Under the 3 stat derivation, with 3 STR, PER, they'd have a +7 Attack with the same defense.