Thread: Absence of an ability combined with Enhanced Ability

Inceptor

Absence of an ability combined with Enhanced Ability

Our group is working on statting out a player character who is an artificial intelligence computer program with a mechanized body it can inhabit. Without the mechanized body, the character would not have any Strength, Agility, Dexterity, etc. If I put Enhanced Ability powers on the mechanized body, it feels like that isn't a "legal" approach because you can't add a number to something that doesn't exist in the first place.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are there any AI player character write-ups floating around that I could look at for ideas?

Thanks in advance.

CNYGamer99

Re: Absence of an ability combined with Enhanced Ability

There is an NPC archetype of an evil A.I. that does just that. It might have been 2e but nothing really changed there.

You could write up the character like a normal Construct with all of the Abilities (except STA) but make it a Complication when it can't access its mechanical body. How often do you expect that to happen?
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Inceptor

@JDRook, my sense is that the player will have his character freely move from computer system to computer system, one of which will be the control computer in the mechanical body. So I anticipate the character moving in to and out of the mechanical body to be a regular occurrence.

Yup. It's the Artificial Intelligence from the second Villainous Archetypes book for 2E. Here's the Powers block, which builds off of absent Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution:

Powers: Comprehend 3 (read, speak, and understand all languages), Datalink 10 (Power Feats: Machine Control, Alternate Powers Teleport 10 [data transfer; Flaws: Medium data pathways]), Device 39 (robot body, hard to lose), Immunity 30 (Fortitude), Insubstantial 3, Mind Shield 5, Quickness 6 (x100; Flaws: Limited mental tasks only), Super-Senses 1 (time sense), Teleport 2 (download/upload; Flaws: Limited computers, Short-Range)
    Robot Body: Blast 18 (Power Feats: Alternate Powers Disintegration 9), Enhanced Attack 12, Enhanced Defense 12, Enhanced Dexterity 14, Enhanced Strength 30, Flight 6 (500 MPH), Protection 18 (Extras: Impervious), Super-Senses 8 (Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Radio, Microscopic Vision 3, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision), Super-Strength 5 (Heavy Load: 12 tons)

Inceptor

Thank you for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by CNYGamer99
    Our group is working on statting out a player character who is an artificial intelligence computer program with a mechanized body it can inhabit. Without the mechanized body, the character would not have any Strength, Agility, Dexterity, etc. If I put Enhanced Ability powers on the mechanized body, it feels like that isn't a "legal" approach because you can't add a number to something that doesn't exist in the first place.
    Why shouldn't that be "legal"? There's no rule that forbids adding Enhanced Ability to a normally nonexistent score (making it "existent" in the process, as long as the effect is active), and the descriptor is perfectly reasonable. Nonexistent ablility scores mechanically count as -5 though, so if you want an effective STR of 10, you'd have to buy 15 ranks of Enhanced Strength.

Concerning FuzzyBoots' cited 2e example, I think I remember the AI's robot body was built as a Device (Removable flaw in 3e), makes sense IMHO.
    An alternative to the Device-body could be a Summon effect, with the Heroic, Controlled, Concentration, Feedback and Self-powered modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by CNYGamer99 View Post
    Are there any AI player character write-ups floating around that I could look at for ideas?
    Here you go:

A.R.A.C. ("Autonomous Rogue Agent of Chaos")
    PL 10 / 150p (Abilities -30, Defenses 10, Advantages 17, Skills 20, Powers 133)
    Abilities
    STR - STA - AGL - DEX 0 FGT - INT 5(10) AWE 0 PRE 0
    Saves
    Dodge - Parry - Fortitude - Will 10 Toughness -
    Advantages
    Benefit (wealth) 4, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (HQ*) 4, Fearless, Inventor, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages 3 ("many"), Skill Mastery (technology), Well-informed
    *HQ Command-Construction-Complex: Medium, Toughness 10, Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defense System, Effect (Healing 10; machines only), Effect 2 (Accurate Teleport 13 [Affects only others, Extended only]), Fire-Prevention System, Garage (robot bay), Isolated, Laboratory, Personnel (robots), Power System, Security System 2, Workshop
    Skills
    Deception 5 (+5), Perception 10 (+10/15), Ranged Combat (gunnery) 10 (+10), Technology 10 (+20), Vehicles 5 (+5)
    Powers
    A.I. (47p)
    Comprehend 2 (machines), Immunity 40 (fortitude, mental effects), Feature 1 (can resist/overcome/counter cyber-attacks with technology skill), Quickness 4 (limited to mental tasks)
    Backups (11p)
    Immortality 5, Regeneration 1
    Cyber-Awareness (7p)
    Senses 14 (Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Extended 7, Ranged, Rapid Detect Computers; Medium [networks])
    Hacking Prowess (2p)
    Perception Range Cumulative Affliction 7 (resisted&overcome by will or technology skill; Controlled; 3rd degree only, Check Required 7 [technology], Limited to computers, Medium [networks], Subtle) +Linked Cumulative Mind Reading 7 (Check Required 7 [technology], Concentration, Effortless, Feedback, Limited to computers, Medium [networks], Sensory Link, Subtle)
    Upload/Download (Array 65; 66p)
    BE Network Jump: Teleport 22 (Medium [networks]) and Direct Immersion: Enhanced Skills 10 (Perception 5, Technology 5)
    AE Mainframe (Activation 2, Quirk 3 [immobile], Removable [-17]): Enhanced Intellect 5, Immunity 1 (EMP), Quickness 5, Summon 7 (omni-drones or andro-drones; Activation1, Alternate Type, Controlled, Heroic, Mental Link [subspace], Multiple Minions 2 [4 drones], Responsive, Self-powered, Sensory Link)

Complications
    Digital Entity: ARAC consists only of data, and thus can only exist within computers. That means ARAC cannot directly interact with the physical world, but destroying the occupied computer also destroys ARAC (at least until its Backups activate)
    Motivation: ARAC exists to spread chaos & anarchy, in service of a lofty ideal of "freedom for all". Unfortunately, ARAC is an inhuman intellect who lacks a conscience, and so is incapable of truly understanding its ideals. This mission is hard-coded within its core programming, and ARAC pursues it with ruthless efficiency. KessCorp is one of its favorite targets.
    Relationship: Digital Demon of the Cybertribe created ARAC when he got his virtual hands on some bleeding edge A.I. algorithms, modeling its persona after his own (but without any knowledge of its creator or the Cybertribe, for avoiding any track-back), and then unleashed his virtual monster into the www. Unfortunately, Demon did this without pondering the consequences, and soon stopped thinking about his creation. Should he ever learn of ARAC's activities, and its amoral nature, he'd be horrified.
    Last edited by Bothrops; 09-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.