Thread: Book of Righteous

Inceptor

Question Book of Righteous

The [5e] Book of Righteous just landed as a physical product with me and it's a lovely piece of publishing.
    I have to say I like the idea of the Great Church as a pantheon based meta cult, and the mythology is well crafted to provide enough familiarity to most Click for more about D&D players shared common core. As such it integrates very well with the PHB and the DMG, even when it presents it's own cosmology, it ticks all the usual D&D boxes, and even has sidebars for the perennial post 4e question of 'Where are the Feywild and Shadowfell?".
    I was surprised at first how well all all the gods are good, with one clear exception and some minor ones. However I can kind of see that this makes for a very stable homogenous culture that works well for a 'we are the good people and we adventure and kill baddies' group, but there are more than enough spaces, niches, examples of linking in extra religions and diversity. However.. Warhammer Old World or Moorcock's Young Kingdoms or Glorantha this is not.
    Familiar and accessible is not a bad thing, and after my first run thru I can see that it's a very high quality book and probably the 'missing' core book for me.
    The rules crunch is nice, and in keeping with 5e, so extra archetypes, backgrounds, new domains, a few spells and some magic items, but nothing that mucks with the 5e design methodology. However one could also ignore that if you wanted to maintain a 'core book only' rule at the table, even the new domains are not essential, if very nicely done.

I felt it was all very 'good'. So maybe I need a 'Book of the Unholy' to counterbalance it..

However, my reason for posting, apart from my first freeform thoughts, was to ask the collective hivemind to share with me either your thoughts on how you'd use or not use this book, AND/OR how you used the 3.5e version in your gaming last time out.

I am hoping for insights to help me imagine how to utilise this..

Keeper of the Freeport Errata Freebooter timemrick's Avatar

Re: Book of Righteous

I never owned the 3E version, and am still reading through the new 5E version. However, I've been thinking for a while that whenever I return to Freeport to run another campaign there, I should try using this rich mythology to flesh out the deliberately generic references to gods in that setting. I also plan to pull from other Green Ronin products with ties to the "World of Freeport" setting, like Mindshadows, Hamunaptra, and The Book of Fiends. I'm also considering using 5E (or possibly Fantasy AGE) rather than the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder that I've used in previous campaigns, because a simpler system would be a welcome change of pace (and I wouldn't have to lug as many books to game!). I plan to write at least one column for my blog about using The Book of the Righteous with Freeport, to go with the other "5E and Freeport" columns I've done. (When I do, I'll post a link in my blog promotion thread.)

By the way, The Book of Fiends makes a great counterpoint to the more good-aligned focus of The Book of the Righteous. Its information on Hell, Gehenna, and the Abyss is all perfectly compatible with the Great Sphere cosmology. Now if we can just get Green Ronin to update it to 5E, so that the game mechanics would be compatible, too! (That is a lot of stat blocks to convert, though, so I'm not surprised they haven't even hinted at doing it yet.)
    Tim Emrick, Freebooter, Keeper of the Freeport Errata
    Winds of Freeport: my Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
    Time of the Tarrasque: my next Pathfinder campaign (under development).
    Studded Plate: my blog about RPGs, LEGO, and other geeky subjects.
    Thastygliax's Vault: my other gaming pages.

Inceptor

Re: Book of Righteous

I've spent the last few days reading through the new / remastered The Boo of the Righteous, and wow. That's some great material. This will probably be my go-to pantheon for any D&D gaming moving forward, and possibly some other systems as well.