Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New GM - Looking for advice

Keeper of Secrets Kot the Protector's Avatar

Re: New GM - Looking for advice

One of the things I really like about Dragon Age as a system is that there aren't really a lot of expectations for how the game is going to run, which means that the GM and the players get to decide how they want the game to feel.

It gives you a lot of freedom in how your campaign is structured, but I admit that does not give a new GM much to work on. I'd advise trying out a few magic items and if you feel that the PCs are becoming stronger than you expected, you can always pinch the treasure hose until they start getting to tougher stuff.

As shonuff said, magic ammunition, potions, poison doses, and bombs can make excellent finds early on. You can have the PCs pick up a nice weapon or suit of armor when they finish a story arc or defeat a particularly nasty foe.

I'd also recommend making some masterwork items available for sale, like a nice set of daggers or hammers at a master smith's shop, but make them just expensive enough that they are out of the PC's reach. This means that the money the PCs start finding can be put towards a goal of getting the gear when they come back to town.

I usually make a weapon that is a +1 to hit or damage about 5 times its original price. Masterwork armor, with a +1 to AR, is also 5 times the original price. If they want higher, it climbs very fast, with +2 total bonuses being worth 10 times the original price, and +3 totals being 25 times the original price.

You can also let the PCs know that if they invest a lot of money into tools or clothing, they could get bonuses to the tests they use those items for. I use the same multipliers as above. For example, a masterwork set of lockpicks that gives a +1 bonus to Dexterity (Lockpicking) would cost five times the original price (12 sp * 5 = 60 sp). For lower level characters that is a bit more to part with, but it can be gathered quickly if the PCs really want it.

This is, of course, how I run my games. If you decide this doesn't fit the tone of the campaign you want to run with you should feel free to experiment! It's easier to fix giving too little treasure than too much!
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

Inceptor

I'm not sure YET how rare I want them to be. Typically, in Pathfinder, I tend towards less magic - but that caused issues later. If they're not that critical, then yeah, I'm not going to have lots of items and no one selling permanent items.

Thankfully we have enough players that I can throw any item at the party that will get used. Even our mages are Spirit, Primal, Creation. One rogue is traps, the other contacts and such. One fighter is dual wield, the other sword and shield. I THINK one of the rogues went bow. Can't recall.

So, yeah. I think I can certainly be stingy.

Keeper of Secrets

Mages will need bonuses. Even min-maxing, upper level spells difficult to cast. Others less so - with stats/focuses Defense isn't a terribly high TN.

Inceptor

So, last night we started our game. As no one had engaged in the system, I started with some basic skill checks (healing checks in the infirmary for scouts returning, strength check to see how much the burly one could help move, etc).

They were sent out to scout the Korcari Wilds. I wanted to try out the combat system.

The first encounter was with three blighted wolves, and the second with three Hurlocks. There was more to it, of course, but it was more of an introduction + feeling out the rule system.

Two players were out, so we had 2 rogues, 2 mages (creation and primal) and 1 warrior.

Both were good fights. One rogue got walloped hard by a Hurlock wielding his two-hander, and dropped incredibly low. By the end, the healing mage was completely tapped for mana. I'm not trying to kill anyone on day 1