Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Re: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    So would that Fatigue go away after an hour of rest, or would it be a repair?
    I would argue that, without Regeneration, it requires repair.

Inceptor

Re: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Characters absent stamina cannot use Extra Effort. Deluxe Hero's Handbook, pg 110, in paragraph continuing from prior page.
    For that reason, I'd strongly recommend not going the absent stamina route. It's really unfun for a new player to be told that they don't get to use one of the game's core mechanics.
    Full fortitude immunity is also a bit questionable in my eyes. Things like super-tasers and Dazzle can force fort saves that a robot should logically be susceptible to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Characters absent stamina cannot use Extra Effort. Deluxe Hero's Handbook, pg 110, in paragraph continuing from prior page.
    For that reason, I'd strongly recommend not going the absent stamina route. It's really unfun for a new player to be told that they don't get to use one of the game's core mechanics.
    Full fortitude immunity is also a bit questionable in my eyes. Things like super-tasers and Dazzle can force fort saves that a robot should logically be susceptible to.
    While I don't disagree, it requires some rules re-tuning that's arguably beyond the scope of this project.

This has certainly been discussed before, and I've often thought that Life Support + Aging covers about 95% of the organic woes to which a robot should be immune. Then you could buy Enhanced Fortitude* to represent "Systems Robustness" in resisting other Fort-resisted Effects with appropriate Descriptors, like sensory attacks or electrocution. An interesting variant might be to have Life Support+Age, Half-Effect Fort Immunity and however many ranks of Enhanced Fort you like for a similarly-costed power that still allows a few things through at a reduced rank.

That's a pretty unusual and unprecedented way to build, though, and not as simple as just using full Fort Immune and letting Dazzles and Electrical Stuns work as a Complication. And for new players, we do want to skew to the simple.

*I'd probably also add Impervious Fort, with a good replacement 30p build as Life Support and 10 rank of Impervious Fortitude, but that would probably detract from the discussion as "Imperv suXXorz" would draw focus.
    Last edited by JDRook; 09-21-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

Hmmm, alternatively we could just give it Immunity (Biological effects) and put a fair price on that descriptor. Which would be either 20 or 30 points, I imagine.