Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Bolas are not a common battlesuit weapon. The only example of someone who regularly uses them that springs to my mind is Defender, from the Champions RPG.

In the comics, battlesuit characters tend to come in three types: the specialized gadgeteer (like Iron Man or Steel), the sponsored agent (the second Vanguard, War Machine), and the catalog ordering type (mostly second string villains wearing Doom knockoffs or armored exos).
    Last edited by pawsplay; 09-03-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Re: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Battlesuit Archetype - Rook I - PL 10

Strength 10/0, Stamina 1, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 4, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
    Close Attack 4, Evasion 2, Improved Critical: Palm Beam, Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 4, Second Chance: Tech Checks, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
    Expertise: Choose Business, Engineering or Science 5 (+9), Insight 4 (+7), Perception 3 (+10/+6), Persuasion 4 (+6), Technology 8 (+12)

Powers
    Battlesuit (Removable)
    . . Armor: Protection 9 (+9 Toughness; Impervious) = 18p
    . . Attack Modes - base 24p + 3 AEs = 27p
    . . . . Palm Beam Blasts: Damage 10 (DC 25, Advantages: Improved Critical; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets) = 24p
    . . . . Smart Micro-Rocket Spread: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 18, Selective) = [24p] 1p
    . . . . Strength and Accuracy Booster: Enhanced Trait 24 (Traits: Strength +10 (+10), Advantages: Close Attack 4) = [24p] 1p
    . . . . Tarball: Affliction 8 (1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Immobilized, Resisted by: Dodge, overcome by Damage, DC 18; Accurate 2: +4, Contagious [6 ranks only], Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree) = [24p] 1p
    . . Boot Jets: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round) = 14p
    . . Collision Avoidance: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+10), Advantages: Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge) = 8p
    . . Comm System: Radio Communication 3 = 12p
    . . Life Support System: Immunity 10 (Life Support; Custom: No starvation/thirst) = 9p
    . . Sensors
    . . . . Advanced Targeting and Analysis: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Perception +4 (+10), Advantages: Ranged Attack 4) = 6p
    . . . . Radar and Thermo-Imaging: Senses 6 (Extended: Radio 2: x100, Extended: Visual 1: x10, Infravision, Radio, Tracking: Rader 1: -1 speed rank) = 6p

Offense
    Initiative +1
    Grab, +8 (DC Spec 20)
    Palm Beam Blasts: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
    Smart Micro-Rocket Spread: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
    Tarball: Affliction 8, +10 (DC Fort/Will 18)
    Throw, +6 (DC 25)
    Unarmed, +8 (DC 25)

Defense
    Dodge 10/6, Parry 9, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10, Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 34 + Powers 81 + Advantages 1 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 148

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is 2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

-----

Just to keep the ball rolling I thought I'd try to put something together using some of the ideas suggested and a few more of my own. I think I got carried away with the flavour, though.

Most of the Attacks and Defenses are in the PL9 range, with only one PL10 Attack (Palm Blasts) and one defense (Ranged Damage). I gave the Palm Blasts Split because I love it and firing out of each hand every turn is awesome. The SMRS is relatively short range (60') and only PL8 but can distinguish friend from foe and hit all the ones in range in front of the 'suit, so I think it's a good tradeoff. "Suit Fisticuffs works out to PL9; I was considering moving the Lifting STR to outside the Array and just making it pure Close Damage and Attack Bonuses, but decided against it. The Capture Weapon I decided to define as a Tarball; rather than adding Cumulative, which is common for Affliction attacks, I thought it would be more fun to give it the much less used Contagious at 6 ranks, sticking to anyone that touches it.

The Defenses also got some tasty treatment. I did basic things like slightly drop Armor and increase Comms, but I also added a separate Collision Avoidance System, ostensibly tied into radar that allows for some nice defensive Advantages. I also went with Tracking Radar in the sensor suite, since I don't think half-speed while tracking is a terribly bad thing.

I ditched all of the non-Suit Advantages except Second Chance Tech. I figure that and a +12 Tech skill should allow for some good jury-rigging moments in combat.

Overall it's more nimble and less tanky than the handbook Archetype. It has a little less power but a lot more flexibility and precision, and is probably most effective against groups of low-level enemies; a real goon sweeper.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

I like the character, but it doesn't quite have the simple generic feel of the original. But I'm drawing a blank on how I would build it (or change your build) to get that feel back, too.

Also, I'm surprised that you decided to veer away from making him Wealthy or including the "Jarvis features" like we'd talked about. (Although Continuous Flight is expensive to fit in.)

Also surprised by the whole Collision Avoidance suite of Advantages. They seem oddly un-generic, and also really weak? Or am I underestimating the value of Evasion and Improved Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKaulu View Post
    I like the character, but it doesn't quite have the simple generic feel of the original. But I'm drawing a blank on how I would build it (or change your build) to get that feel back, too.
    I really just wanted to get the discussion going again and throw down these ideas to see how they work out. I may have been trying too hard to put my stamp on it.
    Also, I'm surprised that you decided to veer away from making him Wealthy or including the "Jarvis features" like we'd talked about. (Although Continuous Flight is expensive to fit in.)
    I was thinking about making a few options available like with almost every other base Archetype. I was playing with the idea of making a bunch of 5p packages or modules that a player could use to customize the PC. Like "Billionaire: Wealth 5" or "Charming: Attractive plus Persuasion 8" or "Collision Avoidance: Dodge +2, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge, all Removable". I was tired and didn't get to that point before posting.

Also surprised by the whole Collision Avoidance suite of Advantages. They seem oddly un-generic, and also really weak? Or am I underestimating the value of Evasion and Improved Defense?
    It's probably a little more specialized than it needs to be. It's particularly effective for resisting Area Attacks and acting defensively, which might be a limited style for a new player. Uncanny Dodge is definitely worth it and can be considered a combination of radar and AI self-protection; swapping the other Advantages for more Dodge could work.

I was trying to get the Defenses more balanced instead of Tough-shifted like the book, but I think I got carried away with other details. The bane of character design!

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    I really just wanted to get the discussion going again
    A laudable goal.

I was thinking about making a few options available like with almost every other base Archetype. I was playing with the idea of making a bunch of 5p packages or modules that a player could use to customize the PC. Like "Billionaire: Wealth 5" or "Charming: Attractive plus Persuasion 8" or "Collision Avoidance: Dodge +2, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Uncanny Dodge, all Removable". I was tired and didn't get to that point before posting.
    I see. That makes me think, I wonder if all of our archetypes should be built a few points under 150 so that there's easy room for a player to customize it a bit?

It's probably a little more specialized than it needs to be. It's particularly effective for resisting Area Attacks and acting defensively, which might be a limited style for a new player. Uncanny Dodge is definitely worth it and can be considered a combination of radar and AI self-protection; swapping the other Advantages for more Dodge could work.
    Yeah, I don't think a new player will be jumping at the bit to take the Defend action a lot. And yeah, Uncanny Dodge surprised me less than the other Advantages.

I was trying to get the Defenses more balanced instead of Tough-shifted like the book, but I think I got carried away with other details. The bane of character design!
    Interesting. Tough-shifted characters are cheaper and (from what I hear) generally more effective (?) than Dodge/Parry-shifted characters. I understand the urge to go against that trend just for the sake of variety, but the Battlesuit wouldn't have been the archetype where it occurred to me to do that.

Keeper of Secrets

Battlesuit
    Generic build intended for beginners, PC-ready
    Power Level 10 (150 ppt)

ABILITIES [24 ppt]
    Strength 12 (base 0)Stamina 1 • Agility 1 • Dexterity 1
    Fighting 5 (base 3)Intellect 4 • Awareness 2 • Presence 0

POWERS [89 ppt]

►Battlesuit, Device (Removable):89 / 111 ppt
    Feature 1 (computer access with HUD). • 1 ppt
    Antigrav Repulsors: Flight 7 (250 mph, 0.5 mi/round), Extras: Continuous, Feature 1 (homing autopilot; evasive maneuvers +4). • 22 ppt
    Armor: Protection 11, Extra: Impervious, Flaw: Noticeable (armor plating). • 21 ppt
    Comm System: Communication 2 (1 mile; radio), Extra: Feature 1 (telcomm network access). • 9 ppt
    Life Support System: Immunity 9 (disease, environmental conditions: all, poison, suffocation: all). • 9 ppt
    Sensor Suite:9 ppt
    • Enhanced Perception 4.
    • Senses 7 (Direction Sense, Extended 2 Radio, Infravision, Time Sense, Tracking [radio]).
    Tactical Computer:10 ppt
    • Enhanced Dodge 3.
    • Enhanced Fighting 2.
    • Enhanced Advantages 3 [Ranged Attack 2, Uncanny Dodge].
    Attack Modes Array:30 ppt
    • Servo Motors:
      • Enhanced Strength 12.
      • Enhanced Advantage 3 [Close Attack 3].
    • Finger Energy-Beams: Ranged Damage 12, Extras: Accurate 1, Precise, Split 1.
    • Smart Micro-Rocket Spread: Close Damage 9, Extras: Area (Cone 1), Selective.
    • Memory-Metal Tendrils: Snare 8, Extras: Accurate 3.

ADVANTAGES [7 ppt]
    Benefit 4 (Wealth 4: multi-millionaire) • Languages 0 [native: varies] • Ranged Attack 2 • Ranged Attack 3 • Uncanny Dodge

EQUIPMENT [0 ep]
    (none)

SKILLS [12 ppt]
    Athletics 0 (+0, or +12 with Servo Motors) • Close Combat: Misc. 0 (+5, or +8 with Servo Motors) • Expertise: Business 5 (+9) • Insight 4 (+6) • Perception 3 (+9) • Persuasion 4 (+4) • Ranged Combat: Misc. 0 (+6) • Technology 8 (+12)

DEFENSES [18 ppt]
    Dodge: 8 • (base 4)
    Parry: 8 • (base 3)
    Fortitude: 6 • (base 5)
    Toughness: 12 • ——
    Will: 8 • (base 6)

OFFENSE
    Initiative +1
    Unarmed outside Suit: +3 • Close Damage 0 (Strength-based), bludgeoning.
    Unarmed with Servo Motors: +8 • Close Damage 12 (Strength-based), bludgeoning.
    Grab with Servo Motors: +8 • escape DC 22.
    Finger Energy-Beams: +8 • Ranged (300/600/1200 ft) Damage 12, energy, Split 1 (2 targets), Precise.
    Smart Micro-Rocket Spread: Dodge DC 19 • Close Area (60-ft Cone) Damage 9, explosive, Selective.
    Memory-Metal Tendrils: +12 • Ranged (200/400/800 ft) Affliction 8 (Dodge / Damage or Sleight of Hand; Hindered & Vulnerable / Defenseless & Immobilized), metal tendrils, Cumulative.

COMPLICATIONS
    (Varies by character.)

ABILITIES [ 24 ppt ] + SKILLS [ 12 ppt ] + ADVANTAGES [ 7 ppt ] + POWERS [ 89 ppt ] + DEFENSES [ 18 ppt ]
    150 PPT TOTAL

RECOMMENDED VARIATIONS

Playboy: Replace Benefit 4 (Wealth 4) with Attractive, Deception 5, Persuasion +1.

Genius: Replace Benefit 4 (Wealth 4) with Intellect +1, Inventor, Second Chance (Technology checks).

Palm Force Beams: Under Finger Energy-Beams, replace Precise with Affects Insubstantial 1; descriptor changes from energy to force.

Versatile: Replace Continuous Flight and the homing autopilot Feature with the benefits of both Playboy and Genius.

Engineer: Replace Expertise: Business ranks with Expertise: Engineering 5 or Expertise: Science 5.
    Last edited by CaptainKaulu; 09-20-2017 at 11:30 AM.

I see. That makes me think, I wonder if all of our archetypes should be built a few points under 150 so that there's easy room for a player to customize it a bit?
    Exactly. I thought of it after I'd trimmed down the Base a bit and had exactly 135p. If you had say six 5p packages and let a player pick 3, they could specialize it how they like.

I imagine the QCG designers had a similar idea and just took it a lot further.

Yeah, I don't think a new player will be jumping at the bit to take the Defend action a lot. And yeah, Uncanny Dodge surprised me less than the other Advantages.
    Defend Actions are underrated, IMO, but I can understand a new player wanting to be more interested in jumping in and mixing it up.

Interesting. Tough-shifted characters are cheaper and (from what I hear) generally more effective (?) than Dodge/Parry-shifted characters. I understand the urge to go against that trend just for the sake of variety, but the Battlesuit wouldn't have been the archetype where it occurred to me to do that.
    Fair enough. Overall I was thinking of adjusting the Battlesuit to a more balanced attack and defense compared to Paragons and Powerhouses. But looking at some of the other published builds, including Ultramarine, all of them are Tough 12 / Def 8, so I guess tanky is the way to go defensively.

Attack-wise, there's a little more flexibility. UM is more balanced with a +10Att/10Dam for Lasers and Unarmed, but skews to precision for their Netline. The Base BSuit is +8Att/12Dam across the board, which is good and simple, if a little vanilla. For making attacks, at least one Damage-shifted attack as a main is probably good, with options for different balanced attacks.

How does this do at feeling "generic"? I think it fits ideas thrown around in this thread pretty well, and it even avoids Partial Modifiers.
    It's a good build. Mostly it's little things that bother me like all the little customs: still not sure about Noticeable on the armor, whether you need the HUD paid for, and even the telcom Feature I suggested, but as long as they're clearly defined and cleared by a GM, it should work out.

I'm still not a fan of Continuous Flight, particularly due to expense, but combined with the Homing Autopilot Feature it works. I think it helps that I saw Spiderman: Homecoming last night.

The one thing that concerns me about having all the STR in a slot like that means that it drops to zero whenever the BSuit uses a ranged attack. Technically that means Grabs, Disarms or any kind of Knockback or other STR-resisted effects against the 'Suit are super-effective for that round. That's not necessarily bad in itself, but the GM and player should both be aware of that and play accordingly.

Homing on the Snare Tendrils is interesting. Not sure what that looks like but it's pretty cool.

The Gadgeteer elements are minimized, basically down to INT and Tech skill. Charm is +4 Persuasion. Resourceful is Wealth 4, which I'm biased against but it fits the concept.

Overall, it's well-protected, all the attacks hit PL caps, and it's got at least a little flavour from all the varied Stark elements.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    whether you need the HUD paid for,
    HUD is more a descriptor; the power point is more for having access to a decent computer whenever you're in the suit. I agree that a HUD computer shouldn't be any more expensive than any other computer.

The one thing that concerns me about having all the STR in a slot like that means that it drops to zero whenever the BSuit uses a ranged attack. Technically that means Grabs, Disarms or any kind of Knockback or other STR-resisted effects against the 'Suit are super-effective for that round. That's not necessarily bad in itself, but the GM and player should both be aware of that and play accordingly.
    Yeah, this bothers me a little bit too, but it's true to the original build, which has the same issue.

Homing on the Snare Tendrils is interesting. Not sure what that looks like but it's pretty cool.
    Heh yeah, that was a spontaneous little addition. I was just trying to picture the Snare attack myself, and what my imagination came up with kind of looked like Homing after a miss. Not sure how to describe what I'm picturing to someone else, though.

Keeper of Secrets

As cute as the Homing is, I'm feeling like it makes the build less generic. Maybe something to cut in return for another rank of Accurate, which would free up a point spent on Skills. Or should it just be a Snare 8 effect, and we dig up the points somewhere to put more ranks into Ranged Combat?