Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

OPA Belta

Re: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

I feel like most iconic gadgeteers had a specific invention for which they were known, maybe two, plus their invention abilities. I think of Tomb Thumb, the original Atom, Peter Parker (kind of), the Sandman, Giant-Man, a lot of those Golden Age guys with goofy weapons. Then you have more omni-inventor types like Forge, Gizmo (the villain), and so forth.

OPA Belta

Re: Beginner Characters (i.e. Fixing the book's Character Archetypes) - Community Effort?

Quote Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
    I feel like most iconic gadgeteers had a specific invention for which they were known, maybe two, plus their invention abilities. I think of Tomb Thumb, the original Atom, Peter Parker (kind of), the Sandman, Giant-Man, a lot of those Golden Age guys with goofy weapons. Then you have more omni-inventor types like Forge, Gizmo (the villain), and so forth.
    I went with Forge because, to me, a gadgeteer should be able to A-Team or MacGyver their way out of a locked barn. B.A. Baracus is a gadgeteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly-sama
    Int 4 actually has a 50/50 chance of succeeding a DC15 roll due to a 50% chance of rolling an 11 or higher and just needing to meet the DC being enough to pass. Since skill mastery isn't on any expertise he can't just routine roll it for it anyway. There's also Eidetic memory already giving a +5 to memory checks which may or may not relate to certain types of expertise checks.
    Ummm, Expertise checks are typically made out of action time, and thus eligible for taking 10 without skill mastery. And don't forget that Eidetic Memory also allows for making ANY Expertise check UNTRAINED (at least for answering questions & providing information). Combined with a high base INT, this will turn the hero into a walking encyclopedia. Therefore my suggestion of INT 5, for hitting DC 15 with taking 10.

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook
    Variable Descriptor: close group - Broad, but must change in worskhop or jury-rig
    Makes little sense. I'd simply settle for VD 1 (elemental damage; switch between fire, lightning, frost etc at will), and then use power stunt or jury rig* for the more exotic stuff.
    *an exotic alternate damage descriptor should be a 1p-modification (1 round; DC 16)

Extensible Wing Frames (Removable)
    . . Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Extras: Stacks with: Hover Boots: Flight 2+4; Flaws: Wings)
    . . Protection 6 (+6 Toughness; Extras: Impervious)
    . . Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Fortitude +4 (+8))
    . AE:Protective Outift (Wings Collapsed) (Removable)
    . . . Protection 8 (+8 Toughness; Extras: Impervious)
    . . . Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Fortitude +4 (+8))
    Cool idea!

Find Design Flaw: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 21; Flaws: Limited: Tech Note: adds to close Damage vs Tech as well as Disarms)
    Alternate Solution: Perception Range Weaken Toughness 8 (Fort save; Affects only Objects, Check Required 4 [technology], Limited to tech, Limited to vs. own attacks, Quirk 2 [30' range])

Examples of gadgeteers in the media?
    Megamind
    Syndrome (The Incredibles)
    Gizmo (Teen Titans)

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Ummm, Expertise checks are typically made out of action time, and thus eligible for taking 10 without skill mastery. And don't forget that Eidetic Memory also allows for making ANY Expertise check UNTRAINED (at least for answering questions & providing information). Combined with a high base INT, this will turn the hero into a walking encyclopedia. Therefore my suggestion of INT 5, for hitting DC 15 with taking 10.

Makes little sense. I'd simply settle for VD 1 (elemental damage; switch between fire, lightning, frost etc at will), and then use power stunt or jury rig* for the more exotic stuff.
    *an exotic alternate damage descriptor should be a 1p-modification (1 round; DC 16)

Cool idea!

Alternate Solution: Perception Range Weaken Toughness 8 (Fort save; Affects only Objects, Check Required 4 [technology], Limited to tech, Limited to vs. own attacks, Quirk 2 [30' range])

Examples of gadgeteers in the media?
    Megamind
    Syndrome (The Incredibles)
    Gizmo (Teen Titans)
    A couple things: Eidetic memory doesn't give you routine rolls
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    EIDETIC MEMORY (GENERAL)

You have perfect recall of everything you’ve experienced. You have a +5 circumstance bonus on checks to remember things, including resistance checks against effects that alter or erase memories. You can also make Expertise skill checks to answer questions and provide information as if you were trained, meaning you can answer questions involving difficult or obscure knowledge even without ranks in the skill, due to the sheer amount of trivia you have picked up.
    It just gives you +5 and the ability to use expertise checks you don't explicitly have for checks that involve just recalling the information.
    The +5 means the Gadgeteer will probably pass most normal and routine checks easily, an HP means hitting a mimimum DC20 up to DC30 when he needs to reroll. He hits the minimum rank to succeed the check on a reroll if he really needs to pass.

The design fall thing I'd figured would be an Affliction that affects machines. One is Dazed, Stunned, Paralyzed and an alt for Impaired, Disabled, Incapacitated. You don't make it easier to damage so much as weaken it's ability to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly-sama View Post
    A couple things: Eidetic memory doesn't give you routine rolls

It just gives you +5 and the ability to use expertise checks you don't explicitly have for checks that involve just recalling the information.
    The +5 means the Gadgeteer will probably pass most normal and routine checks easily, an HP means hitting a mimimum DC20 up to DC30 when he needs to reroll. He hits the minimum rank to succeed the check on a reroll if he really needs to pass.

The design fall thing I'd figured would be an Affliction that affects machines. One is Dazed, Stunned, Paralyzed and an alt for Impaired, Disabled, Incapacitated. You don't make it easier to damage so much as weaken it's ability to function.
    I never said that Eidetic Memory gives you routine checks. You can always take 10 on skill checks when not in a combat/challenge/action situation (Skill Mastery allows you to ignore this limitation). My point was that Expertise skills are rarely used under such circumstances.

On the issue of JDRook's "Find Design Flaw": I read that this proposed power's intent is making machines (or devices/vehicles/robots etc) easier to destroy, not interfering with their functions. My idea was just another solution for precisely this.
    That said, an even more fitting power for a "techie" is one that takes control of machines - best done with an affliction, such as
    Control Tech: Perception Range Cumulative Affliction (resisted & overcome by Will or Technology check; Controlled; Affects only objects, Limited Degree 1 [3rd only], Limited to machines, Mental Link)