Thread: Fear Aura

Inceptor

Fear Aura

So I'm about to be running a game and I'm trying to figure out how to build an affliction power into a aura.

All I've come up with is Affliction + reaction + either reach 2 or area burst.

What the player wants is an area that causes fear around him, but isn't dependent on being hit first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Fear Aura

Quote Originally Posted by Baladar View Post
    All I've come up with is Affliction + reaction + either reach 2 or area burst.

What the player wants is an area that causes fear around him, but isn't dependent on being hit first.
    There are a few ways to do it.

Reaction does require a specific trigger, and it's often being hit, but doesn't have to be. If you wanted to affect anyone who gets within about 30' of them, Burst Area Affliction and Reaction (Enter defined Area) would do it.

You could apply the Sense-Dependent Flaw if you wanted to limit the fear to a particular sense, like only when the PC is seen or heard or smelled or whatever. It would mean that the Aura would be ineffective if the target can't detect with that sense for any reason (blind, darkness, too much noise, peppermint bomb, etc). If the fear has multiple sense avenues or is some supernatural effect that doesn't even require being sensed, I would just leave it without the flaw; someone with enough missing senses could be considered a Complication.

The Affliction could be whatever you like for Conditions, but common ones are Impaired (shaking with fear), Vulnerable, Immobile (paralyzed with fear), Compelled (limited to Fleeing or Cowering), etc. Translating the Fear Emotion Control from 2e is basically Impaired/Compelled (Flee/Cower). You could have a 3rd degree Condition, but I wouldn't recommend it for a Reaction Aura; Limiting it to 2 or even 1 degree mitigates the cost of Reaction, allowing for more ranks.

To go even further, there is an option for Variable Conditions as an Extra introduced in the Illusion Power Profile. With that, you could have all of those different potential Fear Conditions, although I'd recommend adding Uncontrolled as well so that the GM could either choose or randomize the particular fear response of the target; having a player choose the PC's fear Conditions with a Reaction power seems too much, although that might be a reasonable attack power with a Standard Action.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!