Thread: Superhero subgenres ?

Superhero subgenres ?

Hello everybody,

I want to make a superhero poll on my personal forum and I want them to choose between several subgenres of comics like : street-level, avengers' like, cosmics...

I am looking if I can find a website detailing various superhero subgenre but I don't find any website on comics genre. Does someones know a webstite/blog/wiki which details various super subgenre ?

or can you give me a list of subgenre here ?
    God forgive...not me

Re: Superhero subgenres ?

No answer ?
    God forgive...not me

Inceptor

I'm not aware of any existing resource for your question and don't know if any formal academic work has been done to identify subgenres so finely. Generic definitions in fiction tend to be driven as much by marketing categorizations as they do by aesthetic differences, and so far as I know most comic book shops don't shelve their superhero books by subgenre. Heck, they mostly don't shelve by any genres at all, with horror and science fiction landing alongside superhero stuff by accident of alphabetization.

All that said--and be warned I'm thinking exactly as fast as I'm typing when I write this--I can think of a few aesthetic markers beyond the largish Golden/Silver[Bronze]/Dark[Iron] distinctions most everybody knows about. Superhero subgenres might include:

Big Science/Exploration: Fantastic Four, Challengers of the Unknown
    Space Opera/Big SciFi: Guardians of the Galaxy, Legion of Super-heroes
    Soap Opera: 1980s Uncanny X-men, New Teen Titans, Legion of Super-heroes
    Recursive: Astro City, maybe Powers
    Deconstructive: Watchmen, maybe Powers
    Street Level Loners: At various times in their careers Batman, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Punisher, Spider-man, Black Lightning
    Government Sponsored: At various times Avengers, Alpha Flight, probably others
    The Biggest Superteam in the World: Avengers, Justice League
    Secret or Reformed Super-villains: Secret Six, Suicide Squad
    Literal Gods: Thor, Hercules, Sandman
    Aliens Among Us: WildCATS (I think), Martian Manhunter, technically Superman
    Cosmic Supercop: Green Lantern, was the Marvel Captain Marvel ever one of these?
    Heroes for Hire: Power Man and Iron Fist, I think the Wally West Flash for a little while

The list, as they say, goes on.

Thanks for your answer Armada, that is a start .
    God forgive...not me

Keeper of Secrets

There's also the Weird Western genre, as Western comics were folded into the Marvel and DC Universes as the "history" of those. Obviously, Jonah Hex is the most famous example.