Thread: House Creation

Defender of the Word

House Creation

Hello,

So my group is finally looking at making their own house. Usually they join a well known house or play people "outside the sphere" of the game of thrones so to speak. But now we wanna tackle creating their own house. Though I have some questions.

Mostly it is how to invest resources. From what I understand you get your static ranking after rolling, applying location mods, etc. Then to invest you allocate up to a number equal to or less than your rating for that holding, and other things. My confusion comes in when things get destroyed or when you want to "get more". If a holding is destroyed it says you lose your investment, does this mean you have to build whatever you lost again and it just takes time. Or depending on the situation does your ranking actually go down

Also a little fuzzy on house fortune rules and getting more points to your rating but I feel I need to reread that section a few more times. Additionally the game says your ratings are for -your- Domain. So to use an example if I was Eddard Stark my rating would just be for Winterfell and not for say, Dreadfort? Because Dreadfort would be a Bannerman for me, and thus not a part of my personal domain?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: House Creation

Well, when you lost your investion ideed you have to rebuild or replace it. Of course you may make it easier to rebuild, with lesser cost or so by saying that a reduced power-holding is not destroyed to the ground, that a destroyed unit have left some survivors etc. - but that is up to the narrators decision, circumstances and maybe character actions. But yes, if you not could rebuild or replace it your ranking can go down. You could see that in the fate of several mentioned houses who once were major and are now minor.

And yes, in my opinion Lord Stark would not roll for the Dreadfurt. Since the Dreadfurt is sworn to him, but I think less than a bannerhouse with little room for own actions, but as a half-independent house which have a lot of own power. I guess Stark's roll would be more for houses like house Poole - landed houses etc. House Bolton has (I guess) sworn vassals himself and may make own fortune-rolls which may be influenced by the sworn houses, too and may define their fate.

Keeper of Secrets

The way I view is that if a holding is destroyed, you lose all the points that you invested to get that holding. That gives a reason to actually protect them and a reason to target them. It certainly adds drama if you know that this raid could burn down a 10 Wealth points Mill for you, rather than just say; "Oh well, I'll just get in back in year or two."

As for bannermen you're right as far as I can see in that you don't get bonus to your rolls from a bannerman.

Keeper of Secrets

Well, with a bit of luck you could rebuild such a loss in one year or two, that depends on your reserves in wealth, how much you could collect in short time and how long it take to build a new one.
    I think it must be used with an eye for the circumstances (but I am fully aware that this depends on opinion).
    A killed Maester could not so easily replaced, but on the other hand if "only" the Maester dies and his stuff is still there (the ravens, the material he uses, his books etc.) than I guess it should be more easy to replcae him (and cost less) than if his chamber burns down completly and all his ravens are killed. If a craftsman is killed it is important if he has a able young boy (or a young woman) who had learned from him and maybe able to replace him, if the building in which he wrked is destroyed or not...
    If a marketplace is destroyed by a hostile raid but the port and little town which is part of are not destroyed, than it maybe should be not SO hard to rebuild the market place - and if the perpetrators are brought to justice in short time the lack of trust (which is a main loss - the tradesmen are afraid to come because of the last attack) is at least healed a little bit. Such actions should have an impact I would say. Of course it should not be to easy, but in that was actions and circumstances matters, more than just a 0 or 1 (destroyed or intact) decision.

Keeper of Secrets

What I can say in response is that normally me and my group don't have tons of unused wealth lying around and if we do, we usually intend to use it for another project than rebuilding stuff we already have. Having to spend stuff on rebuilding stuff could easily become a cause of stagnation for especially small houses and run through their treasury pretty fast.

Keeper of Secrets

Well that is in our house a little bit different because we use a port/marketplace which gave the house a advantage in create wealth.
    Plus I want to add that Glory (if not invested at once) may also be use to repair damage, since it could be "translated" into any ressource in a rate of 1:1 (also her I would say you should use common sense, because it is not so easy to explain how for example a house could build a trained unit of personal guards in a month just because they have 10 glory at hand).

Keeper of Secrets

EDITED: Changed my mind.
    Last edited by Gurkhal; 08-13-2017 at 04:33 AM.