Thread: Mimic Power Question

Inceptor

Mimic Power Question

So I'm about to start GMing a game and one of my characters wants to be a mimic that has the ability to mimic multiple powers at once. So i figure the best way to ask this is to list out what she wants and then how I am thinking of doing it. You can the tweak my idea or throw it out completely and tell me how you would do it.

So the PC is wanting to be able to copy multiple powers at once (they realize it would be watered down powers) without having to touch them or draining the opponents. She wants to keep the powers until she decides to get rid of them. Think more Mimic and less Rouge.

I am thinking of using the variable power (7p per rank) with the limit of non technology based powers and only 3 or 5 powers at a time (-1 for each limit). So it would be 5p points rank. Edit: I will actually be 6p per rank. I forgot the +1 due to the power being continuous.

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Grantcomics; 07-16-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Forgot some information

Re: Mimic Power Question

If she can only manifest the powers in the vicinity of those she's mimicking, I think that's worth a -1. If she gets to hold onto those templates, and can manifest them in part from multiple sources, I don't think that it is, because it will quickly become a matter of that she has all of the powers she needs banked up. Not being able to mimic technological powers is pretty much under the explicit limitation in a given Variable, so I don't think that's worth a -1.

Inceptor

Thanks Fuzz. I forgot to take into account if she keeps the powers in a type of internal bank or if it is people within her vicinity. Im pretty sure she will do the 2nd. That can lead to some good game moments of needing a power but not having someone to copy.

Would that still be -1 if she can keep 3 as long as she wants but can only replace them with a power in her vicinity?

The basic Power Mimic from the Meta Power Profile defines the power as copying the powers of a particular subject as the catalyst; that is descriptor, the necessary inherent limit, no discount. Requiring the catalyst to be in Perception Range (sight or maybe an Accurate Power Sense of some kind) is a -1 Flaw. That means it's a Standard Action to choose your subject and config your Variable to their powers, and since it's bought Continuous, you can maintain that powerset without any actions until you choose to turn it off or change to another visible subject's powerset. With that Flaw and Continuous, it's 7p/rank.

The other limits don't look very limiting to me. "Non-tech" powers is only really a -1p/rank Flaw if it describes around half or less of all powers encountered in the setting, so that's going to depend on the world the GM is making A common breakdown of power sources is Mutant/Magic/Tech/Training; maybe Psychic is a separate thing or folded into Mutant, maybe you have some others sources in your game. I highly recommend reading through the Descriptors section as the end of the Powers chapter to get a sense of the possibilities.

The "3-5 powers" limit is also weak, unless it's also common for subjects to have six or more powers. More importantly, this also requires you as GM to define what a single discreet power is. Most Arrays have 2-5 slots; is that all one power or is each slot counted as one? Some powers are several effects in a single package. The Paragon Archetype has Invulnerability defined as Enhanced Stamina, Life Support and Impervious Toughness; is that one power or three? What about Linked Effects or Alternate Forms or even someone else's Variable? If you made this a limit you would have to know how to answer these questions for every powerset you allow the PC to access, and IMO it's not worth the tabletime, let alone the point discount.

"Banking" powersets should be some kind of Extra, since it's basically eating away at the "must be in Perception Range" Flaw. I'd make it 1p per subject's powerset that she can call up anytime. I'd probably also allow pulling up a "forgotten" powerset with a Hero Point.

So by my reckoning, that's a 7p/rank power with 3 ranks of Flat Extra. You'd probably want 8-12 ranks of Variable (40-60 copied points) to make it effective, so that's about 60-85p or thereabouts, which is on par with the point budget for most other powered archetypes. Whether that fits your budget depends on what else you want this PC to do.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Normally, a "Mimic"-variable allows you to copy the traits of a "catalyst" (which must be at hand). Changing the configuration means the previous traits are "lost", if you want to re-use them, you need access to a matching catalyst once again - "Every trait I've ever copied" is IMHO way too broad as a limiting descriptor for a variable.
    That said, using extra effort for "recalling" a previous trait-configuration is quite fitting. Another idea: Add a custom "feature" flat extra to the Mimic variable, each rank allows to "save" a previous configuration.