Thread: Curious about games - anyone want to post short recaps that they have run/played in?

Inceptor

Curious about games - anyone want to post short recaps that they have run/played in?

If anyone has been in a blue rose game and wants to share what happened I think that would be really cool. Also, if there are any gameplay youtube videos please link.

Inceptor

Re: Curious about games - anyone want to post short recaps that they have run/played in?

I can do mine. I ran a 1st edition Blue Rose game ages ago, and have a current game that just finished its first adventure. Two players are holdovers from that game, two are new.

The PCs
    Donovan: A Roamer vata'sha expert who was adopted as a baby in Jarzon and has dreams of going into medicine.
    Ashlean: A Jarzoni vata'an adept who ran away from home because her magic leant itself to shaping and she has only partial control of it.
    Vaan: A Kernish night person warrior who worked with the resistance, but had to get out of the country as he was getting too well known.
    Ciradan: A vata'an expert outcast-background who mostly wants to see the world.

(Donovan and Ashlean's players are the vets. Everyone started at first level.)

The pretext for the characters travelers together is that the other three were with Donovan's family's caravan for security as they moved through northern Aldis near the Kernish border. Ashlean and Donovan have a mentor-mentee sort of relationship.

i ran a modified version of an adventure for Blue Rose 1st Edition called Bones and Flowers. Basically the party (sent by the caravan's seer to go get herbs from a passing village and rejoin the caravan later) encounters a number of skeletons on the path carrying a sleeping girl. The players get a chance to fight (Ashlean's player noticed that her Fire Shaping was a bit hard to pull off as a combat move, and ended up fatigued as part of her first action. I had given her character a cryston because of this), and then roleplay as they took the confused girl back to her father in the village and play detective. (Vaan also did an excellent job handling that many people in the area are Kernish refugees or their descendants and night people get some suspicion from that.)

They found out that this was the most recent abduction asking around the village. They noticed the skeletons were strung together by plant vines and latched onto that as a clue, but they did get most of the pieces from asking around the village: kids were missing, the villagers knew about the skeletons, sort of, but they had killed a number of people when they sent a rescue party, help from the regional government was delayed because this village was in the sticks and the only one who could get updates was the healer, who was dead from 'tried to go after skeletons' and the PCs successfully managed to ferret out that a teenager named Kiya had gone missing before that and Ciradan searched her room and found a human finger bone. (Also I got a reminder that when I game with players who are pagans IRL, they are going to think about astronomical things like 'what phase of the moon is it' when checking for ritual magic.)

The PCs correctly guessed that Kiya was probably the cause and decide to track down the skeletons right away, rather than wait for another abduction. They discover the kids unharmed but in a dreamlike state, playing games with more skeletons and living off whatever the forest provides. Ciradan uses his psychic arcana (and I am glad one PC has that -- Ashlean and Donovan favor shaping) to break one boy out of the trance and talk him into getting the other kids out of the way when the action starts. (Useful: the adventure as written had the kids getting in the way.)

The party starts attacking the skeletons, and Kiya (possessed by a ghost) and a giant unliving bear show up and the fight becomes 'take out the one animating the undead before the bear kills us all'. An unliving bear is a bit beyond a first level party's ability to fight without planning (as it does a great deal of damage and can tank a lot of damage). The party had not figured out Kiya was possessed rather than 'angry teenager', which I probably should have solved by some more monologing or something. Which meant that Ciradan knifed her in the shoulder, taking off over half her health, which, thankfully meant the ghost decided to flee Kiya to go try and possess Ciradan.

The adventure offered a 'talk things out' and 'fight things out' solution, and the party decided to fight things out. (And I definitely should have tested whether or not to bump the ghost up beyond standard.) While there were a few options for 'hitting ghosts' (the bone Ciradan found could be used as an anchor, and ghosts in 2nd Edition come with a stunt that lets them be hit), Vaan's Arcane Weapon and Ashlean's cryston made short work of that. Donovan and Ciradan basically tried to keep the bear and skeletons busy.

I really like the stunt system as opposed to critical hits, as it encouraged the players to think about special moves, and it came up more often. We did the first fight with a battle mat and the second without, and I slightly prefer a battle mat (though we need to rely on Ciradan's player for minis beyond the cardboard ones I have, or tokens). I also need to keep reminding the players that they have Conviction points and should spend them (and to give them Conviction when appropriate.)

This took about a session and a half (we tend to have short sessions as we meet after work, and usually have dinner involved -- if I were running in the afternoon, I suspect it would have been one session.) I gave the PCs a level up after that, as I want to get them to level 4 reasonably quickly, and then maybe dial down the pace if we need to.

I'm planning what to do next. Unexpected disruptions to my sleep schedule means I'm considering running an adventure from Six of Swords, rather than the one I was writing for the characters. Unfortunately, the first level one I like best also has missing kids and ghosts. (Missing kids are good pathos, it seems.)

Inceptor

Re: Curious about games - anyone want to post short recaps that they have run/played in?

No gameplay yet, but ran a Session 0 yesterday with some friends. Ended up with:

A Vata'an Rezean Adept based off of the Avatar partly because that was what he wanted and partly because of how the rolls came out. Calling Mediation of extremes, Destiny Devoted, Fate Apathetic. Fairly even stat distribution.

A Rhydan Ape Expert heading in the direction of Martial Artist. Memories of his past life comes and goes and they're not pretty. He seeks to understand them. Calling Atonment, Destiny Determined, Fate Sluggish. Notable stats re-rolled exceptionally well to 3 Accuracy, 3 Constitution, 4 Dexterity, 3 Perception, and 3 Strength (rest are 0 and 1).

A Rhydan Otter (based off of the Weasel template) Expert heading in the direction of Spirit Dancing. Her stats, destiny, and fate lends her to being a cute kleptomaniac with ADHD. Calling Protection of Nature, Destiny Carefree, Fate Sloppy. Notable stats include 6 Dex (with Stealth focus), and 4 Per (with Searching focus).

The Rhydan rolled randomly for each stat and ended up lower than the 12 pt allocation. so I allowed them to switch any 2 stats, then allocate points until it totaled 12. Then Rhydan type bonus and benefits. The Vata'an wanted to allocate all of his points.

Edit: A friend's significant other wanted to join in. She a Rhydan Rabbit Adept (based off of the Raccoon template) heading in the direction of Seer. She is a familiar of another Adept, but sent off to this group to provide guidance. Notable stats include 3 Dexterity, 4 Perception, and 3 Willpower. She wanted to stay as small as a normal rabbit so I gave her the "Small Size" power from the Bestiary.
    Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 08-14-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: New player, and a re-rolled character

Inceptor

Hello all,

I figured I would update everyone on the first session of our game. Like with Stareyes, I used Bones & Flowers as a tenplate, but I gave it a little more of a spin.

Most of the group has played in a couple sessions of Fantasy Age and Titansgrave but are not familiar at all with the Blue Rose setting or the changes it brought along (arcana, fatigue, conviction). So I made a more linear adventure that ran alongside Bones & Flowers to give my players a chance to get used to their characters.

The background: The party came across Bashti's Ford (I choose this Town to be located on the eastern prong of Trident's Bay), and it was quickly evident to them that something was wrong (boarded up houses per Bones & Flowers). They asked around, and found out that someone has been abducting children, and the Sovereign's Finest was called by the town elder and healer Layla (still alive unlike B&F and name changed from Layloh). It has been a day since the SF arrived and no one has heard or seen them since. The party decided to investigate, but were ambushed by numerous skeletons. They later found themselves in a dark cave, chained and caged, awoken by a psychic cry for help with slow footsteps approaching them. And so the adventure begins...

One of my players came up with the idea that is Calling (Atonement) is based off of the fact that he's been having terrible memories of his past life. I started with a secret scene of his past life that relates to the Sovereign's Finest as a way to drive RP for his character. After the secret scene, I allowed him 1 question.

So, back to the whole group. Two characters are caged. The other two are chained together by the wrists such that they must always be within 5-feet (or 2 yards, whichever units you use for 1 square) of each other. The room has no lighting, and the keys to the cage and chains are nearby. Their equipment is near the keys. I presented these specific challenges because the players had tools to directly overcome them. One person had Dark Sight and Move Object for keys and equipment. Slippery individuals can escape the cage. Aggressive individuals can break the chains or cage. One person had Light Shaping for light.

After about 2 rounds worth of actions, 1 Skeleton (Walking Dead with 10 HP and 0 AR) and 1 Seafolk Walking Dead (no stat changes) entered the room. Perceptive and intelligent characters will notice that the Seafolk is wearing clothing indicating that he is from the Sovereign’s Finest and that he passed away not too long ago. The goal of these enemies was to grab the characters and bring them to the next room.

The next room has another Walking Dead except Human. He, too, wears clothing indicating that he is from the Sovereign's Finest. In addition, there is a Thrall Vampire (no stat changes) who looks very dry from starvation (3 Fatigue) and is desperate for a meal. The Human Walking Dead is grappling a 2-foot tall Rhy-Mouse (because I love Mouseguard and she uses the Expert stat block with the Raccoon template with 3 Fatigue) while the Vampire is trying to get a meal out of the Rhy-Mouse.

It was up to the party to decide what to do with this situation. Alert characters will notice a draft - indicating an opening nearby and eventually finding out that it is day time with a little bit of exploration. Intelligent characters will know that a common weakness most vampires have is sunlight. The party decided to rescue the Rhy-Mouse and escape, and they did so relatively unharmed (I had consistently poor attack rolls). The Vampire did not follow.

Outside of the cave, and in the sun, the party talked to the Rhy-Mouse, named Branwen. She is part of the SF, recently recruited, sent to Bashti's Ford to investigate the abduction of children. Their group were also ambushed by numerous skeletons. Her companions, as evident by the Human and Seafolk Walking Dead, did not make it, and now she is the only one left.

The party decided to go back to Bashti's Ford to recoup as standing outside of a cave with a vampire in it not a good idea.

And that's where the session ended. I told the players that from this point on, it is up to them to determine what to do next. Help Bashti's Ford with the missing children? Deal with the vampire? Or something else?

Questions, and comments are welcomed. If you want more info or if you have any cool ideas to inject, I can discuss over PM. I'm afraid my players may be stalking this forum. =P

Inceptor

I'm running "Rival Affections" on Roll 20.

It began in Elsport, when by chance the three PCs happened to be in the square when an assassin committed a bold daylight murder. Only one of them directly witnessed this, because two were distracted by the appearance of the Golden Hart at the gates, at the precise moment of the murder.

While two PCs pursued the killer, one tried to tend to the victim, but the knife was still buried in his chest, a long, slim stiletto, thrust up under his ribcage into his heart.

"Please..." he gasps weakly. "They have... taken..." He shudders, and coughs blood. "Selenar's Grace. Find..." and with a small shudder he becomes only matter.
    After losing the assassin, the PCs returned to the scene, whereupon the Hart approached and nodded at each, berfore turning to leave. It took about four seconds for everyone who saw that to start calling the PCs "Hart-Blessed."

The PCs began a preliminary investigation, but their early trail was thwarted. The assassin used extraordinary means to deter pursuit and mask her trail. These means themselves suggested something of import, particularly as the victim was just some unknown islander. The islander's dying words were equally unfathomable. "Selenar's Grace?" There's nothing in any of the religious texts about that.

The following morning, they were taken aback when the innkeep knocked on their doors and said they were needed most urgently in the main room. They came down to find Queen Jaellin herself waiting for them. She explained the Golden Hart's actions were unprecedented. To intervene in a single murder? To bestow its blessing upon others? No, there was more to this than any were seeing so far.

She gave them a letter, written in her own hand, telling any who read it to cooperate with the PCs, and she charged them with discovering the truths hidden behind this murder. If the Hart only appears in times when the realm is threatened, what did this murder foreshadow?

The PCs scoured the port to find information on this islander, and found he'd recently arrived on a ship, Anwanar's Plenty. That's when they had a realization and asked after Selenar's Grace. They learned that was the name of a ship lost at sea months ago. In Fact, Anwanar's Plenty was the sister ship to Selenar's Grace.

During this time, one of the PCs became infatuated with a dancer who helped them, a dancer who appeared to return the infatuation. In a side scene, they enjoyed a lovely dinner, speaking of many things, including the mystery and her part in investigating it. They retired to a private room, where the scene faded to black... only to have the PC wake the next morning to find a long, slim stiletto blade resting on the pillow next to her, and the room scoured of every trace of her erstwhile companion, the assassin.

The PCs search has taken them into the Scatterstar Archipelago, where they have already been assaulted and nearly the victims of an attempted kidnapping. They have met the leader of the Archipelago's sea-folk, who was able to shed some light on what all of this meant in the wider picture: A shadow cult, long thought extinct, is rising in the archipelago.

At the moment, the PCs are aboard Anwanar's Plenty, expecting trouble before she reaches her next port.

They are right.

Keeper of Secrets

New game starting on Sunday. No clue what the characters will be, but I prepared a township in Northern Aldis as the place where they are going to meet on occasion of a local festival, where there will be theater festival, a music festival, a knightly tournament and a martial arts tournament. Of course, there will be dark things going on beneath the festive facade.

Keeper of Secrets

Yesterday we had our first session, doing character generation and setting establishment.

Adventure seed: a group of Kernish refugees has filtered into the region dominated by our township Ayrleann near the Pavin Weald. This group, led by a female rhy wolf, has been accused by farmers and hunters of poaching and thieving and suspicious behavior of all kinds, which the doomsayers call "scouting" and "spying".

So, in order to establish whether this Kernish group are really refugees or an invasion advance group, a team of Sovereign's Finest was dispatched in order to establish relations. The Finest were led by the regional Aldin Guard Commander and a Rhy Parrot Diplomat. They all vanished, only the Parrot and two warriors hired for additional security came back, but don't have clear memories of what happened.

The player characters are:

The vanished Commander's foster son, an Expert striving to become a Diplomat and finally have a great career at the Royal Court. He has a Rhy Bond with the Parrot Diplomat Erak "Greenbeak". (Actually, it is the German "Grünschnabel", literally "green beak", meaning a total newbie. Erak actually has a green beak and always says: I know all the jokes, so stuff it.)

Jenay is a Roamer seer, rhy-bond with a version of Beatrice from the Narrator's kit. Jenay was disowned by her mother for not having magical powers and thus not being suited for a planned marriage into another Roamer family. Actually, Jenay is magically gifted, but her Grandmother claimed she wasn't, in order to spare her this marriage. Jenay still doesn't know what this was all about, but is obsessed with uncovering secrets because of this personal history. Beatrice thinks that the Kernish rhy wolf might be her missing sister (awakened from the same litter that poachers later killed, with the exception of the two rhy sisters), but she can't explain why she can't get any Psychic connection.

Then we have a Sea folk Warrior. He is in love with the daughter of the River King of the Willow Water (that is how I named one of the nameless rivers on the map). He is of too modest heritage for his prospective father-in-law's taste, and a noble rival discredited him and drove him into "exile". Now he is striving to prove his worth and honor, driven by his abiding love for the King's daughter.

Our second warrior is a son of Jarzoni refugees. They were treated not well in their Aldin host township, gaining no admittance into the local showmaker's guild. So the parents had to live as charburners, although his father is an accomplished craftsman and his mother an accomplished dress maker. The son now strives to find acceptance in the Aldin Guard and making enough of a career to punish the local guild for their treatment of his parents.

(These two warriors are the other "survivors" of the entourage of the vanished Finest.)

Keeper of the Freeport Errata Freebooter timemrick's Avatar

I would suggest that anyone who plans to post more than one or two recaps of their game should probably start a new thread for their campaign, and maybe post a link to that thread here. That will make it a lot easier for anyone reading these threads to follow each story.
    Tim Emrick, Freebooter, Keeper of the Freeport Errata
    Winds of Freeport: my Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
    Time of the Tarrasque: my next Pathfinder campaign (under development).
    Studded Plate: my blog about RPGs, LEGO, and other geeky subjects.
    Thastygliax's Vault: my other gaming pages.