Thread: Point buy budgets for different types of game?

Keeper of Secrets

Point buy budgets for different types of game?

So just playing about with the 45 point pound buy I tend to end up with heroes with little to no weakenesses who are better than average at almost everything, or people who are basically gods in their focus (Ie a brick is the biggest toughest guy around)

Thats not really a type of game I'm interested in running or playing though. Are there other recommened benchmarks for say a street level game , or city level heroes? Or will I have to engage in some trial and error

Inceptor

Re: Point buy budgets for different types of game?

Quote Originally Posted by Grollick View Post
    So just playing about with the 45 point pound buy I tend to end up with heroes with little to no weakenesses who are better than average at almost everything, or people who are basically gods in their focus (Ie a brick is the biggest toughest guy around)

Thats not really a type of game I'm interested in running or playing though. Are there other recommened benchmarks for say a street level game , or city level heroes? Or will I have to engage in some trial and error
    Game balance in an open points buy system is always hard. One thing I do as a GM is assign a few limits when we sit down to make characters. You also might look at restricting or modifying certain powers to fit your particular game.

In my first campaign (see "LostSaber Campaign" in this forum) I set a limit of 7-8 for max rank in anything (this included what the stat would be after adding specialties). Also, they could not start out with more than one level of a specialty. This puts you at a manageable Spider-man or Defenders level.

This caused some groaning at first (because there are always folks who feel they need to min-max) but game play went very smoothly and I was able to use the villains I wanted to use rather than just Epic level stuff every week. This also inspired them to diversify their characters a bit more. They were able to raise stats and skills over time ( but at a rate that I set, occasionally raising the allowable max).

Hope this helps.