Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Builds on the Sun (Pistolero)

Protomolecule Host

Builds on the Sun (Pistolero)

The roll call board on this site was one of the main things that got me into this system in the first place, so I'd like to contribute to it a bit too. Here are some characters I've made while trying to get better at 3rd edition. Hope people like them!
    Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 02-05-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Protomolecule Host

Re: Builds on the Sun

Space is full of flying men who punch each other.

SPACE KARATE GUY, PL 10, 150 points

STRENGTH 3/10, STAMINA 10, DEXTERITY 1, AGILITY 5, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1 * 64 points

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Agile Feint, Equipment 5, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge * 12 points

Equipment:
    Scanner (Communication 5, Ranged Acute Extended 2 Detect "fighting power") * 25 ep

Skills:
    Acrobatics 9 (+14), Intimidation 8 (+9), Perception 7 (+9), Ranged Combat: Ki 4 (+5), Technology 4 (+4) * 16 points

Powers:
    Afterimages - Partial Concealment vs normal sight * 2 points

Flying is a Martial Art - Flight 8 * 16 points

Ki Fortification - Enhanced Strength 8 (1 rank Limited to lifting), 4 Alternate Effects * 19 points
    Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 5, Accurate 5
    Destruction Wave - Burst Area Damage 10, Distracting, 2 levels of Area on 5 ranks
    Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, Distracting, Accurate 5
    Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 15, Distracting

Physically Superior - Impervious Toughness 2, Quickness 2 * 4 points

Space Karate Armor - Impervious Toughness 8 (Limited to half effect), Ultimate Effort: Toughness saves, Removable * 4 points

Offense:
    Initiative +5
    Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 10, DC 25)
    Melee Weapons +10 (variable effect)
    Casual Blast +15 (Ranged Damage 5, DC 20)
    Destruction Wave (Area Damage 10, DC 25)
    Full Power Blast +5 (Ranged Damage 15, DC 30)

Defense:
    Dodge +10, Parry +10, Toughness +10, Fortitude +13, Will +7 * 13 points

Possible Complications:
    Hostile Work Environment - Space Karate Guys usually have Space Karate Bosses, who are happy to dole out painful and even lethal punishments for the slightest failure. They put up with it, because the only thing more likely to kill you than a Space Karate Boss you work for is a Space Karate Boss you don't work for.
    This Thing Must Be Broken - Scanners are frustrating things. They're good for locating the most powerful beings on a planet so you can efficiently karate fight them, and they can convey a broad sense of who might be stronger or weaker than who, but they also display exact numbers regarding a subject's fighting power. These numbers are always wrong. Always. Don't trust them. Scanners are also good for exploding.
    Distinctive Appearance - As aliens, Space Karate Guys tend to be a bit funny looking one way or another.
    Not In The City - Space Karate Guys cause huge amounts of collateral damage. A lot of them don't care, but the ones with a conscience usually try to move fights somewhere isolated.

Total: Abilities 64 + Advantages 12 + Skills 16 + Powers 45 + Defense 13 = 150

This build doesn't have any tradeoffs in attack/effect or defense/toughness because, in the source material, it's rare for one fighter to be weaker but faster than another. Usually, if character A is stronger than character B, character A is also faster, tougher, more skilled, and just all-around better than character B. The world of Space Karate is blatantly unfair.

Space Karate Armor not only doesn't cover the entire body, it often seems less sturdy than the person in the armor. If you use a Space Karate Guy as an enemy, and he needs to use Ultimate Toughness, consider not giving the PCs a hero point for its use. Instead, destroy his armor, leaving him scuffed up and dirty but basically unharmed. This works especially well if the attack he's saving against could make a big explosion to hide him for a few seconds, and someone else is nearby to say: "There's no way he could still be alive after that! It's IMPOSSIBLE!"

3rd edition Mutants and Masterminds doesn't really allow for the gigantic areas of effect that Space Karate Guys put out in the source material. The best the Destruction Wave can do is a 60 foot radius, and bigger booms are plot devices at the GM's discretion. On the other hand, with full Power Attack and Extraordinary Effort, Space Karate Guys can force a DC 37 toughness save or a PL 12 area attack, which should be enough to destroy a good chunk of real estate.

A small customization note: if you don't want to give your Space Karate Guy a scanner, the 5 points you get back for removing Equipment are exactly enough to pay for the Detect power as an inherent ability. Convenient!
    Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 06-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Protomolecule Host

You can make aid checks on a demoralize action, right?

SPACE KARATE ELITE, PL 13, 195 points

STRENGTH 4/13, STAMINA 13, DEXTERITY 2, AGILITY 6, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 2 * 88 points

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Equipment 5, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge * 13 points

Equipment:
    Scanner (Communication 5, Ranged Acute Extended 2 Detect "fighting power") * 25 ep

Skills:
    Acrobatics 6 (+12), Intimidation 15 (+17), Perception 8 (+11), Ranged Combat: Ki 6 (+8), Technology 5 (+6) * 20 points

Powers:
    Afterimages - Partial Concealment vs normal sight * 2 points

Flying is a Martial Art - Flight 10 * 20 points

Ki Fortification - Enhanced Strength 9, 4 Alternate Effects * 22 points
    Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 6, Accurate 6
    Destruction Wave - Burst Area Damage 10, Distracting, 2 levels of Area on 8 ranks
    Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 6, Distracting, Accurate 6
    Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 18, Distracting

Physically Superior - Impervious Toughness 5, Power-Lifting 1, Quickness 3 * 9 points

Space Karate Armor - Impervious Toughness 8 (Limited to half effect), Ultimate Effort: Toughness saves, Removable * 4 points

Offense:
    Initiative +5
    Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 13, DC 28)
    Casual Blast +20 (Ranged Damage 6, DC 21)
    Destruction Wave (Area Damage 10, DC 25)
    Full Power Blast +8 (Ranged Damage 18, DC 33)

Defense:
    Dodge +13, Parry +13, Toughness +13, Fortitude +16, Will +10 * 17 points

Total: Abilities 88 + Advantages 13 + Skills 20 + Powers 57 + Defense 17 = 195

Power Level 13 feels like a good fit for elite warriors. Overwhelmingly powerful, able to sweep aside any resistance the unlucky world they're on tries to throw at them... but not so unbeatable that the guys with the really ridiculous "I win" power levels can't punk them out when the last battle for the fate of the world/galaxy/universe draws near.

You could easily trade some Intimidation ranks for Acrobatics ranks and replace Startle with Agile Feint. Startle is probably more of a "bad guy" specialty compared to Agile Feint.

Even at this level, any energy attack more powerful than a Casual Blast leaves you open to a counterattack. When an SKG goes for a giant blast, one of three things is usually true:

A) They're making a big, flashy example out of someone too weak to pose any threat.
    B) They're applying the finishing blow to a worn-down enemy.
    C) They're about to get their ass kicked.

A lot of the time people think they're in situation A or B when they're really in situation C.
    Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 07-03-2017 at 12:38 AM.

Protomolecule Host

They can't beat all of us! Unless they do!

SPACE KARATE TROOPER, PL 6, 90 points

STRENGTH 2/6, STAMINA 4, DEXTERITY 1, AGILITY 3, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE 0 * 32 points

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Equipment 5, Startle * 7 points

Equipment:

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+7), Intimidation 11 (+11), Perception 5 (+5), Ranged Combat: Ki 2 (+3), Technology 4 (+4) * 13 points

Powers:
    Flying is a Martial Art - Flight 5 * 10 points

Ki Fortification - Enhanced Strength 5 (1 rank Limited to lifting), 3 AEs * 12 points
    Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 3, Accurate 3
    Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 3, Distracting, Accurate 3
    Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 9, Distracting

Quickness 1 * 1 point

Space Karate Armor - Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 6 (Limited to half effect), Removable * 4 points

Offense:
    Initiative +3
    Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 6, DC 21)
    Casual Blast +9 (Ranged Damage 3, DC 18)
    Full Power Blast +3 (Ranged Damage 9, DC 24)

Defense:
    Dodge +6, Parry +6, Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +4 * 11 points

Total: Abilities 32 + Advantages 7 + Skills 13 + Powers 27 + Defense 11 = 90

Some Space Karate Troopers don't use ki at all, but instead use an arm-mounted blaster in combat. For them, replace the Ki Fortification array with this:

Arm cannon - Ranged Damage 7, Accurate, Removable * 12 points

They still fill out their caps in ranged combat, but without the ability to strengthen their bodies with ki, they become less dangerous in close quarters. They can still fly, of course. Flying is the most rudimentary of all martial arts.

It's hard to put a specific power level on these little guys. They never pose much of a threat to anyone more important than them, but still, they have genuine superpowers. That has to count for something, doesn't it?
    Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 07-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Space Karate is Best Karate. I want you to know, I started laughing when I saw the first title and still have not stopped.
    Crashverse Setting
    Crashverse Builds

As always, feedback is love.

Protomolecule Host

Then I've done my job!

Protomolecule Host

I'll hypnotize you with a little strip tease, and then judo chop, I'm swinging on you like the sixties!

SEXY BRICK, PL 10, 150 points

STRENGTH 12, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 6, PRESENCE 5 * 102 points

Advantages:
    Attractive 2, Close Attack 2, Interpose, Power Attack, Taunt * 7 points

Skills:
    Deception 10 (+15, +20 w/Attractive), Expertise: Professional 5 (+6), Persuasion 10 (+15, +20 w/Attractive), Ranged Combat: Throwing 7 (+8) * 16 points

Powers:
    Impervious Toughness 9 * 9 points

Leaping 4, 1 AE * 5 points
    Speed 4

Sucker Punch - Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude, Limited to enemies who are Vulnerable or Defenseless, Limited Degree, Extra Condition; Impaired and Vulnerable, Disabled and Defenseless), Linked to Strength damage * 6 points

Tremendous Strength - Power-lifting 3, 2 AEs * 5 points
    Bracing - Sustained Impervious Toughness 3 (12 total)
    Strong Legs - Leaping 3 (7 total)

Offense:
    Initiative +6
    Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 12, DC 27)
    Sucker Punch +8 (Close Damage 12 and Affliction 12, DC 27 and DC 22)
    Melee weapon +8 (variable effect)
    Thrown Object +8 (variable effect)

Defense:
    Dodge +6, Parry +6, Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will +6 * 0 points

Possible Complications:
    People Are Going To Stare At Me No Matter How I Dress - The Sexy Brick's skin and hair are frequently some strange (but flattering) color not found in nature. Even if this isn't the case, they stand out wherever they go on account of looking like a Greek god, or some kind of weightlifting supermodel.
    Strongest One There Is - Bricks of both the sexy and non-sexy varieties have a thing about finding out who's the strongest. At least one other brick wants to defeat you, and will show up to do so at the worst possible times.
    We Do Serious Work Here - The combination of no secret identity and some of the most physically destructive superpowers makes it hard for the Sexy Brick to maintain a steady career and/or school life.

Total: Abilities 102 + Advantages 7 + Skills 16 + Powers 25 + Defense 0 = 150

Playing a Sexy Brick is simple: First you hit them with the Sexy, then you hit them with the Brick. Feint an enemy, hit them with the Sucker Punch. If it hits and sticks, not only is the enemy an easier target for you and your buddies alike, but also a valid target to be hit by the Sucker Punch again on your next turn. If the enemy happens to be flying out of your reach, or insubstantial, or punchproof for any other reason, just Taunt them. You'll still be making them an easier target for your team. If you find yourself fighting something you can't hint OR taunt, say, a mindless flying kill-bot, use Interpose to protect someone more suited to deal with the situation.

Helping your friends is a theme with the Sexy Brick. If you don't have any friends, find some people who would make good friends and use your ridiculously high social skills to make them your friends. The more people on your team, the more useful everything you do is, and if other people are glad to have you around, you're doing your job right. If you're on your own, who will notice how sexy you are?

Presence is an odd ability. It's pricier than buying the three social skills individually, and you may want to just buy more ranks of Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion if you don't think you'll get any chance to use it. If you can sell your GM on it, though, being able to passively draw people to you or drive them away, without actually doing anything, can be pretty useful. For your professional Expertise, you might want to pick a career that also benefits from Presence, like an actor or a lawyer or a con artist.

The Sexy Brick is a very narrowly focused character: you do a couple things very well and not much else. Your biggest problems are probably your inability to attack multiple people at once and your relative lack of mobility (get used to taking cabs or getting carried).

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Thine Mo View Post
    Space Karate is Best Karate. I want you to know, I started laughing when I saw the first title and still have not stopped.
    I had a chuckle upon reading that myself. I thought "Sexy Brick" was a funny one, too.

I like these archetypes. I'll probably use those myself.

For the Super Karate Guys, I assume Afterimages is only vs Sight or the points are off.

Also, I'm not sure how Half-Effect Impervious works, especially when 3e Imperv is kind of already half-effect.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Protomolecule Host

Yeah, any sort of "special" vision should see through the afterimages fine. I'll adjust the builds to make that clearer.

I use "Limited to half effect" for Impervious the same way it works for the Immunity power: you halve the effect, rounding down, before determining save DC. So a rank 7 Damage effect that gets blocked by partial impervious only forces a DC 18 toughness save, for example. Space karate armor doesn't cover the entire body, just the torso, hips, and shoulders, so full Impervious didn't seem right for it.

As an aside, I like to use Impervious as it was in second edition whenever possible. Even 2E impervious is fairly situational and easy to circumvent, but 3E impervious doesn't seem worth its cost at all. I'm not a game designer, and I could be entirely off base about this, but if I were ever going to use these as PCs and not NPCs, and 3E rules for Impervious were in effect, I'd probably spend those points on immunities or some other defensive power instead.