Thread: Strength Effects Array Problem

Inceptor

Strength Effects Array Problem

So I'm a GM; One of my players has a Powerhouse type Character who purchased a Strength Effect Array. He has a 12 Strength which should translate to 24 points for the purposes of Alternate Effects (unless I'm missing something). However all of his powers are limited to 12PP as if STR were just a damage effect. I can't find the "Strength Effect" idea listed in the Player's Handbook so I don't know how this was determined.

Any thoughts?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Strength Effects Array Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderbglass View Post
    So I'm a GM; One of my players has a Powerhouse type Character who purchased a Strength Effect Array. He has a 12 Strength which should translate to 24 points for the purposes of Alternate Effects (unless I'm missing something). However all of his powers are limited to 12PP as if STR were just a damage effect. I can't find the "Strength Effect" idea listed in the Player's Handbook so I don't know how this was determined.

Any thoughts?
    You've got it exactly, actually; these days they base that only off the damage (aka Strike) component so you don't get weirdness like the character having to drop something he's holding up because he's using the Strength Array for another purpose; he's just trading off the damage part.

Inceptor

Huh, I guess I see the reasoning but it means you can't use your full strength as an AOE like a ground strike. That seems limiting. But thanks for the explanation.

Keeper of Secrets

Note that if you use Enhanced Strength, you *do* get the use of 24pp when it's the base of your array.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Identity Lost and The Merge: Prologue to Annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderbglass View Post

Any thoughts?
    "Strength Effect" is a term that I think is only actually used in HeroLab. It's used to allow standalone Extras, Alternate Effects and other potential traits to be applied to the STR Ability.

The concept of using only the Damage component of STR is actually listed somewhere in the Handbook (I think; honestly I can never find it when I want it), but was used more specifically in the Quickstart Guide with Superboy and Knockout, with all slots of SB's Tactile Telekinesis Array made as Alternates of his Strength Damage.

There's a functional reason for doing this as well. STR has more uses than any other Ability, and some of them are defensive. Only using the Damage component to run the Array slots means that the PC can still resist things like Grabs, Trips or Disarms, and still lift with full STR rank in the same round that they use an AE of their STR damage. Using an Alternate of the whole STR Ability would allow for more point use, but would mean that while that Alternate is active, the PC's effective STR is 0, so they could theoretically be tackled or footswept by a lowly minion with good timing.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

For what it's worth, it's possible to change the Strength Effect in the editor to allow for the double points for AEs. It's a pretty elementary change.
    My Builds

Current games:
    None. Focus issues.