Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Tank Characters: Ways to draw aggro?

Defender of the Word

Re: Building Tank Characters: Ways to draw aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    Intimidate is probably the simplest way to "do aggro". The skill allows for Coercion, which works for interrogation or forcing subjects to do things, and even has rules for affecting groups of minions. Strictly speaking, the target responds as if "Friendly", but not actually because they like or trust you, but because you're threatening to them, and will stop once you're not present. For something like making subjects attack you, this should work fine as long the subjects don't feel seriously endangered by attacking you, which could be problematic. This is where the roleplaying and narrative logic of a GM in a tabletop RPG is going to be very different from MMO AI.

If you literally want to make opponents throw themselves at you like lemmings off a cliff, some version of Affliction/Mind Control is likely the way to go, but don't forget to come up with an in-game reason for this "power". Is it an actual psychic ability, or is this PC just especially good at making people violently angry at him, or something else?

Another possibility (if your GM is into it) is running it off of the Presence Ability. I even made another interaction skill as a houserule called Antagonize (<< link to longer description) that you could use specifically for aggro.

For clarity, this is more a general thought exercise, I'm not currently building a specific character. Right now I'm working on building some archetype guides for my players that focus more party role than comicbook archetype. I noticed I often get parties that don't have alot of diversity in their contributions. Everyone is a flying hero that shoots lasers using a different flavoring. One is the owner of a magical amulet, another is a superman knock off and another is a guy with power armor. But they all boil down to flight + ranged damage when it comes to a fight. When playing other games, party role is defined by preexisting classes, and by design these have different contributions but you don't necessarily get that from the archetypes listed in the Hero's Handbook. As a result, no one really had a special time to shine.

Inceptor

There is a simple solution which requires no rules - make sure when you are running combats to have a good number of the enemies focus on the tank. Since you always get to decide what NPC's do as a GM (unless a PC mind controls them or something) you can do this.

Keeper of Secrets thaumonuclear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
    Perception Area Affliction (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Dazed, Compelled, Controlled)(Limited Command: only forced to attack user)
    Weird in this case, as the Compelled condition is actually more effective than the controlled (except for the fact that it can still be shaken off)
    Apprentice Mastermind:
    Assorted Builds: https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMast...iscreants.html

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by calonnau View Post
    There is a simple solution which requires no rules - make sure when you are running combats to have a good number of the enemies focus on the tank. Since you always get to decide what NPC's do as a GM (unless a PC mind controls them or something) you can do this.
    I prefer to have players make their own success where possible and reward smart builds. Not knocking the more fast-loose approach to DMing but this works better for me. I find the more I encourage players to engage with the rulebooks the more interesting combat encounters become, as players can better make use of their abilities without relying entirely on hero points to fudge everything.

Keeper of Secrets

This isn't an MMORPG. There is no way to "draw aggro" per se.

You could use afflictions to compel people to attack you, certainly. Though no real surefire method. Make sure you take the Interpose Advantage and you'll be able to take one non-area attack (per round) for your team mates. Other options, are things like having high ranks in Deception to trick opponents into attacking you.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by hypervirtue View Post
    This isn't an MMORPG. There is no way to "draw aggro" per se.

You could use afflictions to compel people to attack you, certainly. Though no real surefire method. Make sure you take the Interpose Advantage and you'll be able to take one non-area attack (per round) for your team mates. Other options, are things like having high ranks in Deception to trick opponents into attacking you.
    It's just a term I'm borrowing. Most of us here have probably played MMO RPGs. so I feel safe in assuming it is a term that will make sense to most people. End goal is the same. Make the bad guys hit you instead of your squishier buddies.