Thread: Superman does not have Accurate Hearing

Superman does not have Accurate Hearing

I was trying to figure out the finer points of Senses, and how one could have directionality in a sense without going all the way to Accurate, which is more expensive and actually pinpoints the subject. Something more generalized would probably be worth 1p, and it occurred to me this already exists: Tracking.

Tracking by Scent is the most intuitive, and Tracking by Sight is the default assumption for the Advantage, but for some reason I can't recall any use of Tracking by Hearing. But I realized that should be what Superman has, even though no build uses this. Most give him Accurate Hearing (and ranks of Extended) for his "patrolling Sense," but by rights Accurate Hearing should be akin to Sonar.

In practice, I think Superman would at best have Tracking Hearing, and then turn his head in the direction of the cry for help. This would likely be followed by him using his X-Ray Vision to pinpoint the distress and fly in.

It's a minor quibble, but I think it fits the concept better, and while not every player is going to want to play Superman, cribbing his powers is fair game.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Superman does not have Accurate Hearing

Honestly, almost all senses should have some directionality. Human senses of smell and hearing aren't all that, but we can still figure coarse direction (though its compounded in the case of the former by windage, but that's just as true with critters with a much better sense of smell than we have).

I always figured that a standard sense check gave you a general position and distance, but nothing specific enough to target. So, you hear the yowl of a cat and you know it's somewhere off to your right, not right next to you, but probably within a half mile or so...

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I always figured that a standard sense check gave you a general position and distance, but nothing specific enough to target. So, you hear the yowl of a cat and you know it's somewhere off to your right, not right next to you, but probably within a half mile or so...
    That's me, except in a lot of cases I wouldn't even require the check.

Keeper of Secrets

Tracking Hearing does make sense, and although I sometimes saw this done in 2e, I don't see it much in 3e. I don't think I've ever seen it in an official writeup. But it's exactly what he does, he hears a sound and locates where it came from, even through obstacles and such.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
    Tracking Hearing does make sense, and although I sometimes saw this done in 2e, I don't see it much in 3e. I don't think I've ever seen it in an official writeup. But it's exactly what he does, he hears a sound and locates where it came from, even through obstacles and such.
    His hearing is also physics-defying, in that real-world sound waves are just variable pressure and over a long distance no sound can be heard no matter how loud it is or how sensitive the receiver, it will simply be washed out. Superman's hearing and vision both seem to work more on principles of 'energy ESP' than anything we would recognize as 'senses' which rely on a transfer of force.