Thread: Character Creation --- Table 311: Age and Flaws

Inceptor

Character Creation --- Table 311: Age and Flaws

Hello All,

How is everyone handling the assignment of Drawback requirements based on the age of the character at creation? For example, "Adult" characters must take "Any one" Drawback according to the Table 3-11. Does the assignment of this drawback grant the character a Destiny Point, or is the Drawback assigned without such granting?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Character Creation --- Table 311: Age and Flaws

Well, i understand this in the way that you get no extra DP for the drawback, since it is simply the cost of beeing older (and having more normal and Special XP to increase your stats which could also rise higher than those of youn chars).

Keeper of Secrets

I'm pretty much on Kajani's line here. In a realistic-ish setting you can't ignore that people do age, in particular if you're running a generational game, and that it should be reflected in the stats.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
    is the Drawback assigned without such granting?
    That is exactly how it works.
    You get a Drawback with nothing in return, that's it.

Problem is that it is actually a loss of 2 DP, because not only do you get a Drawback with nothing in return (which would've given you a DP otherwise), but also have 1 less Drawback slot to use (as the maximum number of Drawbacks is capped by the number of benefits you have!) and thus cannot take an additional Drawback for that 1 DP.
    Considering this, I adjusted the Experience tables in my Houserules Thread to fix this problem by simple number-tweaking.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Tubalkain View Post
    That is exactly how it works.
    You get a Drawback with nothing in return, that's it.

Problem is that it is actually a loss of 2 DP, because not only do you get a Drawback with nothing in return (which would've given you a DP otherwise), but also have 1 less Drawback slot to use (as the maximum number of Drawbacks is capped by the number of benefits you have!) and thus cannot take an additional Drawback for that 1 DP.
    Considering this, I adjusted the Experience tables in my Houserules Thread to fix this problem by simple number-tweaking.
    I'm suprised to be honest. I thought that drawbacks coming from the requirements of age operate outside the drawback system which was connected with qualities and such. And if someone brings it up I'll probably just house rule it.

Keeper of Secrets

Main issue is that non-feeble very old and venerable people would then technically be illegal to make if memory serves.

All those extra ranks in abilities/specialties makes up for lack of DP. Still nonsense on account of older people should have more benefits (but less DP) than youngsters, but there's no easy way to balance it out. In my own homebrew dabbling I replaced age categories with apprentice/journeyman/master instead, the latter having a cap on 5 benefits and 1 unspent DP, while the former has cap of 3 benefits, but will have considerably more unspent DP. Haven't done a test run of it though, so hard to say what sort of characters would come out of it.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal View Post
    I'm suprised to be honest. I thought that drawbacks coming from the requirements of age operate outside the drawback system which was connected with qualities and such.
    Yep, that's the only functional way of interpreting the rules. Otherwise Very Old and Venerable characters are automatically illegal. I argued this in a couple of threads a while back. Here they are:

https://roninarmy.com/threads/2554-S...-and-drawbacks

https://roninarmy.com/threads/3096-H...Old-Characters

/rax

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Yep, that's the only functional way of interpreting the rules. Otherwise Very Old and Venerable characters are automatically illegal. I argued this in a couple of threads a while back. Here they are:

https://roninarmy.com/threads/2554-S...-and-drawbacks

https://roninarmy.com/threads/3096-H...Old-Characters

/rax
    I'm happy to see that I am no alone in this interpretation.

Keeper of Secrets

Any group I've played with has either ignored the drawback cap or at least not counted those not taken voluntarily for DP. Common Sense is required when adjudicating any game system, SIFRP perhaps more so than others.