Thread: [3e] Recreating Absorption(+ Power Magnet) from 2e

[3e] Recreating Absorption(+ Power Magnet) from 2e

Hi friends,

I'm in the progress of recreating my 2e character in 3e, called The Spark.
    Basic concept: Think Cole from Infamous (although I noticed the similarities pretty late into the process). Normal dude, running around, shooting electricity everywhere, yadda yadda yadda.
    I managed to recreate most of my powers in 3e with little to no problem (Shooting lightning everywhere, gliding through the air, being immune to electricity - you know, the usual stuff), but I ran into one major problem:
    I cannot seem to reproduce the power from the title.
    The idea is this:
    The Spark should be able to (like Cole) heal himself from electricity. Simple enough:
    Regeneration (Source: Electricity) - 0.5 PP/Rank
    But that's not what I want - in 2e, I build it this way:
    Absorption - Limited to Electricity, Sustained Duration, Power Magnet

What is Power Magnet, you might ask? It's an Extra from 2e, allowing you to absorb energy from (power rank x 100 feet) away with a ranged attack roll as a standard action, allowing you to tap into power sources and to counter attacks.

And I cannot figure out how to do this in 3e. Power Profiles suggests this:
    Electrical Absorption: Reaction Healing, Bonus Effect (Can Counter Extra Effort Fatigue), Limited to Self, Limited to Absorbed Electricity Rank, Source (Electricity) 3 points per rank

Which is fine for attacks directed at me, and I suppose my GM would let me use it if I deliberatly electrocute myself by licking a car battery or whatever, but it's not really what I want.
    My ideas:
    • Increased Range - Not really an option since this would increase the range of the healing, not of the absorption
    • Extended Range - Also not an option since the effect has no range.
    • Attack - Also does not seem to be an option since that would turn the healing into an attack, which is not what I want.
    • Affects Others - Maybe?
    • Just use Power Magnet from 2e and hope your GM is okay with that.

Input would be appreciated.

Greetings,
    Blackbot

Re: [3e] Recreating Absorption(+ Power Magnet) from 2e

Honestly, 3E Absorption is more trouble than its worth. They've taken all of the Reaction Boost powers and changed them to straight Reaction powers which means you pay much more for something that only happens some of the time. You're better off with buying what you want and then adding a Complication of "Power Loss (source): Electrical powers, including Regeneration, only available when there is power to be tapped into or hero has been hit with an electrical effect recently."

Defender of the Word

I am making a very similar character. I agree with Fuzzy Boots on this one. (and nearly everything else Fuzzy posts )

Blackbot, are you wanting to replicate the 2e Power Magnet's effect of lowering the electrical source's rank while you are absorbing?

If so it sounds like you need to link in a Ranged Weaken effect ( additional 2pp/rank).

If not, I'd say that you just need to add Ranged to the power for +1/rank. (the same cost as 2e Power Magnet btw ) I believe you could say that this is a Ranged "contact with the source" rather than ranged Healing. After all with your power you could walk up to a Source and grab it to heal. We are just adding Ranged to that. Many powers that are not actual "physical contact" use Ranged Attacks as necessary first steps to activate a power, like TK and various mental powers. Mind you, this would also require you to do as 2e says and take a standard action to make a successful ranged attack to perform a ranged absorption. This would effectively be, as you say, "Just use Power Magnet from 2e and hope GM is ok with it".

I'm not aware of any RAW way to take the Reaction Healing power with Source and "extend" the Source to Ranged. My assumption has always been that Source requires Touch Range access, or being hit, but maybe that's not the case?

Since one effect is Reaction Personal, and the other is Standard Ranged, maybe making one an AP of the other would allow some pp savings?

Electrical Absorption:
    Healing, Bonus Effect (Can Counter Extra Effort Fatigue), 3
    Reaction, 3
    Limited to Self, -1
    Limited to Absorbed Electricity Rank, -1
    Source (Electricity) -1
    -----------------------------
    3 points per rank

Power Magnet:
    Healing, 2
    Limited to Self, -1
    Limited to Absorbed Electricity Rank, -1
    Source (Electricity) -1
    ---------------------
    1 pp/3 ranks

Linked to

Weaken 1 (Optional)
    Ranged 1
    ------------

Total of 1.3 pp/rank or 2.3 pp/rank

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Honestly, 3E Absorption is more trouble than its worth. They've taken all of the Reaction Boost powers and changed them to straight Reaction powers which means you pay much more for something that only happens some of the time. You're better off with buying what you want and then adding a Complication of "Power Loss (source): Electrical powers, including Regeneration, only available when there is power to be tapped into or hero has been hit with an electrical effect recently."
    Yeah, normally with Absorption-type builds these days I'd just buy a power with the Flaw "only when has been hit by damage points totaling up to usable value."

Hi there,

I will be reading the posts more thoroughly once I got home.

My solution (because this post was in limbo for 48 hours) was this:
    Reaction Healing, Limited to Self, Limited to Absorbed Electricity Rank, Power Magnet [Reduced to Close Range, Increased Range III])

My GM was uncomfortable with the 2E range (100 ft x rank), so I reduced it to close and "re-bought" a range of 15 ft.

Will update once I read all your posts and am home.

I usually favour simplicity in builds, so I think Regen with Source (Electric) is fine, and you could add ranks of Reach to make it similar to your other build.

Admittedly there are functional differnces between Healing and Regen. Healing removes worst conditions first, while Regen removes -1's first before acting like Healing, which makes Regen a better healing power for mid-combat. Healing also requires Checks, which allows for some variation in the number of conditions removed per use, while Regen requires no Check and is consistent; with your "Limit to Rank" that means more powerful electric sources might heal faster than smaller ones (although dice are fickle). Or you could do this:

Electrical Healing: Regeneration 30 (3 per round; Limited: only heals 1 condition for every 5 ranks rounded up., Source: Electricity) - 10p

This allows for bigger heals from bigger hits with no die-rolling. Add in you Reach and you're good to go.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!