Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

  1. #1
    Keeper of Secrets Kot the Protector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    250

    Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?



    Welcome to the Wonders of Thedas, your one-stop-shop for all your Dragon Age roleplaying game needs!

    You can hear the episode above, or you can listen on iTunes, Google Play, and Soundcloud!

    In this episode of the AGES we talk about Dragon Age's sister RPG, Fantasy Age. We talk about how the two are the same, how they are different, and how they can help each other! We also get some fascinating questions about Specializations, a house rule that house rules another house rule, and we show the love for four of Green Ronin's games!

    If you would like to submit a question or some custom content for the Dragon Age RPG, you can send it to us through our Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, Soundcloud, and WordPress blog accounts! You can email us at wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com or send a private message to Kot the Protector or Healerpuff on the Green Ronin forums!

    Thanks for listening, you're all a Fantasy come true!
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

    If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

  2. #2
    Keeper of Secrets Parsival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    199

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Thanks for the podcast again - I was very interested to hear about the differences between F:AGE and D:AGE. One rule I'd ported over to my game was using the Willpower stat when determining Mana points (as it was in the computer game, as I recall). The adjustment makes the Magic stat less all powerful for mages.

    My bi-weekly question for the next podcast is this: should miscasting be got rid of, as it is in F:AGE? I recall Shonuff on these forums suggesting that it should be ditched, but I can't remember his reasoning. Is there another mechanism that could be used to represent the dangers of demonic possession? Certainly, spells never seem to miscast in the computer game, and the process of possession seems more related to bargains made through stress, fear, greed or desire.

    Keep up the good work!

  3. #3
    Keeper of Secrets Kot the Protector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    250

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parsival View Post
    Thanks for the podcast again - I was very interested to hear about the differences between F:AGE and D:AGE. One rule I'd ported over to my game was using the Willpower stat when determining Mana points (as it was in the computer game, as I recall). The adjustment makes the Magic stat less all powerful for mages.

    My bi-weekly question for the next podcast is this: should miscasting be got rid of, as it is in F:AGE? I recall Shonuff on these forums suggesting that it should be ditched, but I can't remember his reasoning. Is there another mechanism that could be used to represent the dangers of demonic possession? Certainly, spells never seem to miscast in the computer game, and the process of possession seems more related to bargains made through stress, fear, greed or desire.

    Keep up the good work!
    Thank you again Parsival! We appreciate the support!
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

    If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

  4. #4
    Keeper of Secrets Kot the Protector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    250

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    We have a new episode coming next week! We are talking Backgrounds, and we're reaching to the classics from Dragon Age Origins!

    Which of these Backgrounds would you like to hear about?

    Ferelden Noble
    Circle Mage
    Low-Born Dwarf
    High-Born Dwarf
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

    If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

  5. #5
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parsival View Post
    Thanks for the podcast again - I was very interested to hear about the differences between F:AGE and D:AGE. One rule I'd ported over to my game was using the Willpower stat when determining Mana points (as it was in the computer game, as I recall). The adjustment makes the Magic stat less all powerful for mages.
    We do that as well. Also, mages get bonus spells per CUN point -- they start with only 1 spell, but get +1 spells/CUN.

    My bi-weekly question for the next podcast is this: should miscasting be got rid of, as it is in F:AGE? I recall Shonuff on these forums suggesting that it should be ditched, but I can't remember his reasoning. Is there another mechanism that could be used to represent the dangers of demonic possession? Certainly, spells never seem to miscast in the computer game, and the process of possession seems more related to bargains made through stress, fear, greed or desire.

    Keep up the good work!
    First, I like mishap systems, but AGE doesn't really implement them very well imo. Only poison and magic have them, and they're already weaker than regular stunts and regular attacks. I don't see the need to penalize them further. Second, the RAW charts include in both cases a save-or-die result, and that's just poor design. 1/3 of the magic results can potentially end in coup de grace (and should). Furthermore, those same results are simply not fun -- Harrowing results in 2 min/tick in the Fade. In combat, that's at least 8 rounds of that player doing absolutely nothing. Again, poor design. And you can redo the chart to have better results, and I did.

    However, the chance for actual mishap is really quite low. We've had two mishaps at our table, and the only thing the first accomplished was making one of the mages extremely gunshy about casting anything other than an introductory level spell (again bad design -- those spells are just outclassed). But then each time we had to pause to make sure that we we were doing the mishap rules correctly, because they are just slightly different than standard rules. After the second time, I basically said they come up infrequently enough (with their other problems) that we'll just skip 'em. And you know what? I don't think we'd have needed them since.

    To;dr: they are too infrequent to warrant less than a total revamping.

  6. #6
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Also, RAW AGE has a different mechanical system than other RPGs, that doesn't really translate well to AGE. Normally, we think of success and failure, with critical versions of each. However, AGE combat is more deliberate than those RPGs -- some would argue that AGE is just slow.

    In AGE:

    Critical hit = success with high SP
    Hit = success with high damage, or low SP
    Miss = success with low damage -- usually resulting in no or inconsequential damage
    Critical miss = failure

    Having additional negative consequences really extends the possibility of dragging out combat.

  7. #7
    Keeper of Secrets Kot the Protector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    250

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    First, I like mishap systems, but AGE doesn't really implement them very well imo. Only poison and magic have them, and they're already weaker than regular stunts and regular attacks. I don't see the need to penalize them further. Second, the RAW charts include in both cases a save-or-die result, and that's just poor design. 1/3 of the magic results can potentially end in coup de grace (and should). Furthermore, those same results are simply not fun -- Harrowing results in 2 min/tick in the Fade. In combat, that's at least 8 rounds of that player doing absolutely nothing. Again, poor design. And you can redo the chart to have better results, and I did.

    However, the chance for actual mishap is really quite low. We've had two mishaps at our table, and the only thing the first accomplished was making one of the mages extremely gunshy about casting anything other than an introductory level spell (again bad design -- those spells are just outclassed). But then each time we had to pause to make sure that we we were doing the mishap rules correctly, because they are just slightly different than standard rules. After the second time, I basically said they come up infrequently enough (with their other problems) that we'll just skip 'em. And you know what? I don't think we'd have needed them since.

    To;dr: they are too infrequent to warrant less than a total revamping.
    I've mostly seen the mishap table as a deterrent from low-level characters taking powerful spells too early. I also thought it matched the world quite well, making magic as dangerous as it should have been in game-terms as well as setting-terms.

    How did you change the Mishap table? I'd be curious to see it, and maybe put it on the podcast if that's okay?
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

    If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

  8. #8
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,695

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kot the Protector View Post
    I've mostly seen the mishap table as a deterrent from low-level characters taking powerful spells too early. I also thought it matched the world quite well, making magic as dangerous as it should have been in game-terms as well as setting-terms.
    You already have several deterrents. Spells have prerequisites, and gains from leveling happen concurrently - so you shouldn't be able to satisfy a prerequisite at the same time as the goal. Also, failing a spell means a wasted turn, which is is quite the possibility with the bell curve, and I don't think any spell is powerful enough that it could be considered OP if it's failed half of the time. Furthermore, mages already have double jeopardy, higher TNs, resource management, and a (in most settings) severe social stigma. Adding another liability, and all for mediocre results, just isn't worthwhile imo.

    How did you change the Mishap table? I'd be curious to see it, and maybe put it on the podcast if that's okay?
    It's been a while since I looked at it, but iirc, we removed the two Fade results, and added a damage MAG 1 point until fully rested, and then also the last result was changed to two effects, one of which had to be the inverted effect.
    Last edited by shonuff; 04-21-2017 at 03:16 AM.

  9. #9
    Keeper of Secrets Parsival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    199

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    You already have several deterrents. Spells have prerequisites, and gains from leveling happen concurrently - so you shouldn't be able to satisfy a prerequisite at the same time as the goal. Also, failing a spell means a wasted turn, which is is quite the possibility with the bell curve, and I don't think any spell is powerful enough that it could be considered OP if it's failed half of the time. Furthermore, mages already have double jeopardy, higher TNs, resource management, and a (in most settings) severe social stigma. Adding another liability, and all for mediocre results, just isn't worthwhile imo.



    It's been a while since I looked at it, but iirc, we removed the two Fade results, and added a damage MAG 1 point until fully rested, and then also the last result was changed to two effects, one of which had to be the inverted effect.
    How would you deal with the possibility of demonic possession? With a rule mechanic, or would it be story driven?

  10. #10
    Keeper of Secrets Parsival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    199

    Re: Wonders of Thedas Episode 23: What's Your Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kot the Protector View Post
    We have a new episode coming next week! We are talking Backgrounds, and we're reaching to the classics from Dragon Age Origins!

    Which of these Backgrounds would you like to hear about?

    Ferelden Noble
    Circle Mage
    Low-Born Dwarf
    High-Born Dwarf
    I think the two noble options are relatively self-explanatory. Circle Mage and Low-Born Dwarf have extra role-play and background foibles, I think, so I'd advocate exploring one of them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •