Thread: Help with a specific power idea... not sure how to make it work.

Protomolecule Host

Help with a specific power idea... not sure how to make it work.

I want to something like Energy Absorption (sample power from the Heroes handbook). Except... instead of just one effect, I want to trigger mutiple power effects. And I'm not sure how to do this, either on paper or in HeroLab. Maybe someone can help me out.

So the idea is that the character can absorb kinetic energy (so it's Limited to one type).
    When he does, he gains several power effects.

1) He turns that energy into enhanced Str.
    2) He gains regeneration
    etc.

How do I set this up. I thought maybe I would just set up two completely separate powers that both have the same stats, range, rank, etc.
    Then I tried maybe I can use "Multiple Effects".

But I'm just confused about which approach to take and how to start.

Protomolecule Host

Re: Help with a specific power idea... not sure how to make it work.

Does it make sense like this? I did this via Multiple Effects.
    Or should these be Linked effects?

Quantum - PL 10

Strength 9/3, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 3, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Powers
    Kinetic Absorption
    . . Energy Absorption: Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Strength +6 (+9); Reaction: reaction; Fades, Limited: Kinetic)
    . . Regeneration: Regeneration 10 (Every 1 round; Limited: Only while Energy Absorption is active)

Offense
    Initiative +3
    Grab, +3 (DC Spec 19)
    Throw, +3 (DC 24)
    Unarmed, +3 (DC 24)

Languages
    Native Language

Defense
    Dodge 3, Parry 3, Fortitude 3, Toughness 3, Will 1

OPA Belta

Re: Help with a specific power idea... not sure how to make it work.

I would have thought someone would have chimed in on this, but I'm not terribly surprised--the wording in the Handbook is actually somewhat vague about how Absorption works.

For a few pages of discussion on the topic, there's a recent thread that may be helpful: Absorbing Energy OR Enhanced Traits that start at rank zero.

If you're going to be stacking multiple triggered powers together though, one other approach (that I don't think was discussed in the link) would be to simply buy each power without Fades, as if they were all active at full power all the time, but to then give the character a Power Loss Complication that ties to them all. As long as the GM agrees, you specify that your triggered powers start to be less effective if you've gone a while without getting struck with a significant kinetic force. Personally I'd keep the limitation simple (half-power at this point, no power at this point,) but you and the GM could be as specific as desired with the Complication.

With this method, while you wind up paying more for the powers, you get the advantages of (1) having a certain, by-the-book legal build, and (2) gaining extra Hero Points when a lack of absorption is slowing you down.

Edit: Whether the triggered powers are Linked or just a set of Multiple powers depends on if they all need to be active at the same time or not (you should go with Linked if they do.)
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes.