Thread: Homebrew Childbirth Rules

Inceptor

Homebrew Childbirth Rules

Thought I'd post these for anyone interested:

Childbirth

Childbirth requires five challenging (9) endurance checks. One person may assist with the birth; you can add their healing score to the test result, and if they have any points in the "Childbirth" specialty, add that to the test as well. (So if the assisting person has Healing 2, Childbirth 2, add +4 to the test) Continue to make these tests until the five are made or until the mother dies (The death of the baby does not stop the process)

Whenever the mother fails an endurance test by 5 or more, the baby loses 1 hitpoint. Infants have an endurance score of 1: they have three hitpoints and can take one injury and one wound.

Whenever the mother fails an endurance test by 5 or more, she takes one injury. If she cannot take any more injuries, she takes a wound instead. If she cannot take a wound, she dies.

Each endurance test represents one hour of active labor, so if it takes 12 tests before 5 successes are made, the birth takes 12 hours.

Inceptor

Re: Homebrew Childbirth Rules

That's a fairly basic childbirth. At the narrator's discretion, modifiers may be added to complicate labor. Twins might require 8 tests instead of 5. Delivering a baby breach (legs first) might be very challenging (12) instead. The narrator should use his discretion.

As written, it's fairly forgiving; deaths should be fairly uncommon with this system, but they can still happen, especially if the mother is frail or if there's nobody around to help deliver the child. Even a regular guy with an average knowledge of medicine (2 Healing, no Childbirth specialty) will be adding +2 to the tests.

Keeper of Secrets

Well, I am not sure if the danger is not still quiet maybe hingher than it should be. The average women should (as the average men) often have a Endurance of 2 (which is the normal number). Such women would even with the help of a healer with healing 3 have a hard job do deliver a living baby, and one with the legs first or twins seems even much more challenging to nearly impossible. I did not want to minimize the dangers of childbirth in such times, but a lot of women gave birth to quiet a number of living babies (although lot of them died in the first year). And I would say that talent of healing for healing of wounds would have a greater impact than for childbirth if we follow this way. That is in some aspects logic, since of course the mother must do the work, but if a healer could do a lot for a man or women with a nasty wound, than he/she should also be able to do more for a mother-to-be to keep things balanced in game-terms.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Kajani View Post
    Well, I am not sure if the danger is not still quiet maybe hingher than it should be. The average women should (as the average men) often have a Endurance of 2 (which is the normal number). Such women would even with the help of a healer with healing 3 have a hard job do deliver a living baby
    For normal childbirth:
    The lowest an Endurance 2 woman without penalties and with an assistant with "Healing 3" could roll is 5: that's only a fail by 4, so it's not actually possible to hit the "critical fail" threshold with this setup unless you have a penalty from another source. Really the issue here is time. In this setup, the probability of rolling a 9 or above is 72.22. In other words, in this scenario you're looking at an average of 7 hours, and even if the dice rolls are unlucky and you wind up with a labor that lasts for 9 or 10 hours or more, that's not really going to put you at much risk unless you're out in the woods surrounded by wolves or something.

In other words, there's not really much danger at all unless there's some other factor at play.

Inceptor

[Here stood some really stupid text, sorry.]

Keeper of Secrets

Can't speak for the realism of the numbers but I think its a good thing that this is covered rule wise. I can't say that I'll be using this certain unmodified but I think at the least its and excellent start. And I think that Damon's arguments and numbers makes some sense to me when reading it.