Thread: New campaign rulset. Feedback PLZ!

OPA Belta

New campaign rulset. Feedback PLZ!

OK, I finished the first season adventure and thought I'd reach out to fellow Dm to get some feedback on my rules.

*powers
    All powers cannot be an array and a single descriptor is required for the powers. The following is off limits, instant teleportation(teleportation must be done through contact with solid objects or people basically meaning a means of travel must be apparent so you can't be falling and teleport or be mid air and teleport), deminsional powers are out, gravity, time travel or time manipulation, weather, and magic. Everything else can be done.

*skills
    skill checks are done using 3D6 and have no critical success or failures.

*abilities
    All abilities start at -1 with no point refund and it is considered the base as all players are teenagers.

*Damage
    All damage ranks above 5 are automatically lethal in damage so players would have to actively hold back to not kill someone. Environment has hazards. Explosions and falling debris have damage aswell.

*PL
    Players start at PL4 and are rewarded PowerPoint for training IC or adventures IC so everyone has different ways of leveling up. The players cap at PL8. THE MAX/Min trade off for advantages are +/-2 unless it's a team effort in which case it can be +/-5.

Thoughts and feedback please. Also yes this campaign is meant to be intense and almost war like.

OPA Belta

Re: New campaign rulset. Feedback PLZ!

Is this a campaign you've already run, or one you're about to run?
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes.

OPA Belta

I've never run this before. Its for a podcast I'm doing and I've used variations of these rules but never the whole shebang like this. I've even had WARD helping.

OPA Belta

Alright. Just to be clear, my opinions on this are based on what I've found that works; some of it may be out of sync with the mainstream GM sentiment on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    *powers
    All powers cannot be an array
    Well. This... seems to violate the very feel of M&M. But just to be sure, are you saying that NO power can be arrayed, or that the limitation stops the player from putting EVERYTHING into one single array?

and a single descriptor is required for the powers.
    This makes sense, depending on the setting. Other than techies or a few oddball characters, having a hodgepodge of powers seems a bit off.

The following is off limits, instant teleportation(teleportation must be done through contact with solid objects or people basically meaning a means of travel must be apparent so you can't be falling and teleport or be mid air and teleport), deminsional powers are out, gravity, time travel or time manipulation, weather, and magic. Everything else can be done.
    Quite reasonable if you want to keep the powers and gameplay more grounded (most GMs would frown on time travel right off.) Although weather manipulation seems like the power that least belongs in that group, it can be pretty potent, so it's not exactly a stretch to rule it out.

*skills
    skill checks are done using 3D6 and have no critical success or failures.
    A very reasonable choice if you're looking for less variance with skill rolls.

*abilities
    All abilities start at -1 with no point refund and it is considered the base as all players are teenagers.
    Also very reasonable for the campaign.

*Damage
    All damage ranks above 5 are automatically lethal in damage so players would have to actively hold back to not kill someone.
    Hmm. Does this even apply when this level of damage strikes characters with, say, Protection 8, or Force Field 10? I might have made it so that damage 5 ranks above the toughness of the target is automatically lethal, but I can see both approaches.

Environment has hazards. Explosions and falling debris have damage aswell.
    Makes sense too.

*PL
    Players start at PL4 and are rewarded PowerPoint for training IC or adventures IC so everyone has different ways of leveling up. The players cap at PL8.
    I've never played a game at that low a level, but from what I hear anything lower than PL 6 tends to be a bit off-balanced (the variance from the dice tends to overpower whatever ranks are used, making things a lot more random.) Also, it seems a bit strange that someone with powers, even a teenager with minor ones, is given a lesser PL than an average Army grunt (PL 5.) If nothing else I'd recommend giving the PCs more than the typical starting 60pp for PL 4.

THE MAX/Min trade off for advantages are +/-2 unless it's a team effort in which case it can be +/-5.
    I assume you meant the tradeoff for effect/attack and resistance/defense?

If you stick with PL 4 this makes sense. I would hope that if the campaign were a higher PL, you'd allow a greater tradeoff though. Restricting the tradeoff to +/-2 at PL 6+ always struck me as a bit of overkill that actually hurts other character builds more than it stops people making builds that are "too effect-shifted." It also seriously limits the possible diversity in tradeoff (speedsters being the most obvious archetype that winds up not really feeling like it should.)
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes.

OPA Belta

1: its to stop a player from putting everything into an array. To define an array more specifically as offensive, defensive, or utility instead of all those in one. I also thought this would be best from a story telling stand point.

6: I may have worded that wrong. What I mean is that if you have an attack that does effect rank 6 damage hitting someone with that is a deadly strike due to its above avager damage. I figured that since a bystander can at the most tank a damaging effect of max 20 that anything above 5 exceeds normal human limits and is naturally more deadly. If you have a form of protection like a forcefield or hardened skin above normal human levels it doesn't change how lethal the effect rank is. Only gives a higher chance to negate it.

8: I was having doubts about this as well. The low pl is suppose to represent inexperience, but they don't have much room to build. An idea I was toying with was giving desperate starting points to build with. One set for non power related things and the other set for powers.

9: yes that's what I meant. Ward said something similar to me. Perhaps increase trade offs with leveling up would work.