Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1E/2E Books As Revised Editions?

1E/2E Books As Revised Editions?

As the topic states, what M&M books would be great selections for being revised to Third Edition? What books do you love and/or miss? How would you update them, or expand on the information in the book?

Personally, I liked the Mecha & Manga book. Simple, thin, cheap, and offered little in the way of new powers that couldn't be figured out by looking through the main rulebook/handbook. But it was great for pointing you in the right direction and showing you how to make specific types of powers in line with anime instead of having to do the work yourself from the ground up.

I'd love to see an updated edition version of this book, perhaps expanded upon with an actual Japan generic setting, and maybe some mentions of alternative settings in the flavor of anime and manga (like, of, I dunno, mecha in space?), and add generic NPCs, villains, minions, mecha, bases, etc, as well as the archetypes that were in the original book (expand on those too, btw).

I also loved Ultimate Powers and Time of Crisis. BUT, Ultimate Powers was surpassed by Power Profiles, which is still a great book, and Time of Crisis turned out to be less a sourcebook for Crisis stories (like DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour Crisis in Time, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, etc), and more a premade adventure/campaign book.

Time of Crisis, or rather, the idea of a Crisis Handbook, I think would be a great idea. A sourcebook for an adventure, or even a campaign, where heroes aren't just fighting to save the world, but the entire universe, if not the multiverse or their entire timeline....or both! A sourcebook for adventures of the most epic scale, where PL X World devourers as presented in the Cosmic Handbook would be less the main threat, more an observer on the sidelines, and perhaps an ally against the godlike universe-destroying villain(s) when the story reaches its climax.

For inspiration on such stories, sure, DC has their list of Crisis events, but Marvel has had many of their own Crises in the past as well. Most recently in the form of Secret Wars and the build-up stories in Avengers comics (Time Runs Out, and Avengers and New Avengers series as a whole, w/ Avengers World playing a large part too). Onslaught and Heroes Reborn, as well as Age Of Apocalypse with the prequel Legion Quest would make good examples too, as a Crisis in Time where the world (or a portion of it?) ends, with heroes being reborn/recreated in an alternate timeline, and realizing that they must reset the timeline to its original form, losing what they perceive as their lives because the universe is going to end if they don't....you know, stuff like that.

Re: 1E/2E Books As Revised Editions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstormer1 View Post
    Time of Crisis turned out to be less a sourcebook for Crisis stories (like DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour Crisis in Time, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, etc), and more a premade adventure/campaign book.
    Well, Green Ronin rather did ask me to write an adventure called ToC, so then I sort of had to make it, well, an adventure. As I recall, there was no attempt made to conceal this fact, so I am slightly taken aback hearing how it "turned out to be" anything else.

Very glad you liked it, though!
    Deo Vindice,
    Prof. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

-Mad Social Scientist & Gonzo Game Designer

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"--Charlie Meadows, in Barton Fink

I did like it, it was fun. But I find I like the general sourcebooks more than the adventures. Just a preference. The adventures I run don't always fit "four color" style.

Keeper of Secrets

I think part of the problem with revising many 2e books would be that in some cases the writers would have to come up with a whole lot of new material. For instance, much of the actual nuts and bolts parts of Book of Magic has already been reprinted in Power Profiles, Gadget Guide, and the Atlas of Earth Prime.

Now, before Jon L left, he had mentioned that there had been talk about doing a Multiversal Guide, which would, presumably, revise and update some of the information from Worlds of Freedom. Similarly, I'd hope that a revised attempt would break it into two books, Eras of Freedom (focusing on various time periods seen therein that haven't been reprinted yet, like the 25th century in the Cosmic Handbook, and maybe a few new ones) and Worlds of Freedom, with all the alternate realities that entails, including Earth Ape, Earth Erde, Anti-Earth, Ani-Earth, and whatever surprises they want to throw at us.

I like that! Hope it happens!

My vote had been to put out a new version of the Beginner's Guide, which was pared-down rules explanations, character sheets that spelled out how powers were to be used, and a pair of standalone modules which walked players through a few basic scenarios, complete with one of them essentially being a one-person CYOA where you didn't even have to scare up a second person. That said, this niche is partially filled by the Quick Start modules and Omega Girl has stated that a Beginner's Box is in the works.

I wouldn't mind getting a 3E update of Crooks! and other Super-Unicorn properties, but I suspect that rights may have passed on that. Heck, I don't even know if enough of Super-Unicorn still exists to pay them whatever royalties they're due for such an update...

If I'm going pie-in-the-sky, I would love to see the 1E module, Church and State, written up for 3E. It's still hands-down one of the best adventures out there for M&M (sorry, McGlothlin...) but it's definitely dated.

Inceptor

I'd like all the 2e genre books to be updated to 3e, however, i'd like them to be in one giant book, going in order from Golden Age to Iron Age. Then I would like updates to Agents of Freedom. I like something similar to that for spies and those without powers. The Gadget Guide is good for a lot of this, but I feel like another Agent or maybe even a Military book shouldn't be out of the question.
    I'd love to see an Update to Mecha and Manga and Warriors and Warlocks, though with their own releases. Two of the best books from 2e in my opinion. More anime and manga style powers, feats and archetypes, yes please! I'd also like some Kaiju rules to be added. I feel like Mecha and Kaiju need their own special rules, and not just made with a collection on powers renamed to fit the flavor. Maybe I'm expecting too much about that, but I'd also like another alternate rules book like the Mastermind Manual, another of the best books from 2e. I played that heck out of those rules for 2e until we converted to 3e late last year. I'd love to see an alternate Magic system that doesn't have spells act as just an array, I thought Magical Mastery, Wizardry and Sorcery from Warriors and Warlocks were steps in the right direction, and I do like 3e rituals rules.

Mostly what I'm wanting is updates to 3e from 2e material that seemed left out. In 2e I found it easy to make something with the plethora of extras, flaws, and power feats, in 3e it's still easy but I feel it would be even easier without having to hand wave rules from 2e material into a 3e game with a best guess at how it would work. I'm allowing Withstand Damage, Attack Flurry, Twin Weapon Strike, and Last Stand in my games, as I think they are perfect for 3e as is, but I'm having trouble with a few others from 2e to 3e. So anyway, I'm rambling, but I want updates of material from 2e to 3e. Maybe even a giant books of updated material. Call it what you want. Big Book of Rules or something like that with all the forgotten extras, advantages and flaws and whatever else updates to 3e.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Loner1997 View Post
    but I'm having trouble with a few others from 2e to 3e.
    Like what? There's a good chance someone here has figured out a workaround.

- Paragons
    - Mecha & Manga
    - Agents of Freedom/Emerald.

Keeper of Secrets

Paragons is highly unlikely. Mecha & Manga already had the Mecha portion reprinted in Gadget Guides, so you'd need to either replace that or drop it.

I vote Lockdown. Since it's been officially incorporated into the Earth-Prime continuity, let's see what's happening over there. We know the Golden Marvel got released and Duke Nefarious escaped, so how are the other prisoners making out? Any new fish in gen pop?